Author Topic: Shadow Stutter P3D4.5HF3  (Read 2143 times)

vadriver

Shadow Stutter P3D4.5HF3
« on: August 22, 2021, 01:24:11 am »
Unberto

A post out of curiousity more than anything .... with P3D453.

I have noticed most but not all of my addon hub airports (FSDT, FB, WFSS, A_AS) about the AsiaPacific region require building shadows to be activated by selecting simobjects (on the Lighting UI) ..... alongside one's aircraft, GSX & my AI (about 100 or so)

Performance is acceptable except near / at the gate, particularly on pushback turns when there is a short term stutter & fps hit of more than 5ps whether frames are locked (30) or not. With said simobject shadows off, all is much smoother.

I thus wonder if it could be improved if building shadows were that, not simobject shadows.

My one & only example where building shadows are used "directly" is at ISS's WSSS, and it is noticeably more stable / acceptable at the gate & beyond.

Your advice on this would be appreciated ..... perhaps a work around ??

8) John

cheers
john

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Shadow Stutter P3D4.5HF3
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 11:44:02 am »
GSX objects are all Simobjects, so their shadows are of course Simobject shadows and this can't be changed.

And, is not clear from your message, if your drop in fps is caused by Building shadows or Simobject shadows or both, meaning the only way you can fix the problem is to turn them off both.

In any case, there's not much we can do about it. The option is there for a reason, so you can choose between graphic quality or performance. In addition to the Shadow quality slider as well.

vadriver

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 02:08:44 am »
And, is not clear from your message, if your drop in fps is caused by Building shadows or Simobject shadows or both, meaning the only way you can fix the problem is to turn them off both.

Umberto

A belated thanks for your reply.

My performance drop is caused by building shadows, but only because they are "activated/seen" by selecting simobject cast/receive, not as expected by building cast/receive (ie I can't see building shadows by only using building cast/receive)

I am reluctantly able to not use genuine simobject shadows (few of which one sees from the cockpit anyway) but I do prefer to see building shadows (which are in effect non-existent as they don't work as such & I had hoped to hear how to make building shadows appear directly)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 02:11:10 am by vadriver »
cheers
john

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 08:04:54 am »
My performance drop is caused by building shadows, but only because they are "activated/seen" by selecting simobject cast/receive, not as expected by building cast/receive (ie I can't see building shadows by only using building cast/receive)

Lots of airport buildings and objects are Simobjects ( SODE jetways, for example, are always Simobjects, in every airport ), because being Simobjects allows to use more kind of animations, LOD levels, etc. that's why, while years ago we were the only developers using Simobjects for airport buildings, now the practice has been followed by several other developers too, which is why you need to act on Simobjects shadows, even if the objects seems to be buildings.