Author Topic: KORD Runways not Appearing in PMDG FMC  (Read 14008 times)

avion78

KORD Runways not Appearing in PMDG FMC
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:43:38 am »
Pardon my searching abilities on this forum.  I think I might have found my answer with the pinned New AFCAD (X or Y) topic; but perhaps not.

WinXP Pro
FSDT KORD for FS9 (purchased, not demo)
PMDG 744 for FS9 (both Cargo and Pax versions)

Clicking on Dep/Arr in FMC brings up an error of "Rwy 9 Not Found".  No runways appear in the FMC for ORD for either departures nor arrivals.

Is my answer in the above mentioned thread?  Will either AFCAD X or Y fix this one or might I have another problem going on?

Thanks for any help you can give on this!

Robin

Hodge001

Re: KORD Runways not Appearing in PMDG FMC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:18:35 pm »
Hi

In the PMDG drop down menu there is an option for the FMC to hide runways under a certain length (I can’t remember what the default length is), but you might try looking at that setting, against the runways that you are missing.

I think It’s only included to take some of the strain of the FMC when looking up available runways.

As for the Terminal Procedures, that can vary from AIRAC to AIRAC as the real world procedures get updated, but you should at least have either ORD1 or ORD4, as to the best of my failing memory they have been more or less constant.

Jim Hodkinson

avion78

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 09:01:43 am »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for attempting to answer my question.  I'll try to be a bit more clear as I doubt I described my problem clearly.

-  I do know about the option to see airports with runways greater than a certain length.  I, too, don't recall what the default value is.  But this isn't my problem.

Usually when selecting the DEP/ARR key one usually gets a selection of runways on the Right Soft Keys (RSK) and, in most cases, SIDs or STARS on the LSKs.  With the default ORD and, when I used it, with a modified AFCAD downloaded from one of the freeware servers, the runways did show up upon arrival or just before departure when planning the flight.  With the FSDT ORD, no runways are recognized when the DEP/ARR key is depressed.  I wondered if anyone else on this forum had a similar problem as this.

All other, at least known to me, airports behave more predictably when this key is depressed.  And my old AFCADs (and the default one too) also worked fine with the PMDG 744's FMC.  This isn't too big of a deal as I program, manually, the waypoints on the approach charts upon arrival, but I thought this should feature should work since it has in the past for my other ORDs that I had used.  I did delete all other AFCADs that I had in-use before installing the FSDT ORD.

Again, Jim, I do appreciate your reply!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 11:45:47 am »
With the default ORD and, when I used it, with a modified AFCAD downloaded from one of the freeware servers, the runways did show up upon arrival or just before departure when planning the flight.  With the FSDT ORD, no runways are recognized when the DEP/ARR key is depressed.  I wondered if anyone else on this forum had a similar problem as this.

I don't see why the scenery AFCAD would impact the PMDG FMC. As far as I know, the PMDG FMC has its own runways database, and this is confirmed by looking at their website:

http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/NAVDATA_Data_Dictionary#RUNWAY_DATA

Maybe, the runway data for the database you are using, doesn't match the scenery, which is quite possible at KORD, because if you are using a recent AIRAC update, it probably contains an updated KORD. Or, if you are not using an updated database, it might contain an *outdated* KORD, like the MS default scenery.

The main issue is, KORD has gone through several changes during those years, and isn't finished yet: the MS default scenery has a set of runways, our scenery is updated compared to that, the current real-world situation has been updated further, and more updates are coming.

So, you should verify that the PMDG database you are using matches the scenery: it wouldn't be an issue, if the FMC database WAS really linked to the AFCAD. The problems might happen because it's NOT linked to it!

Hodge001

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 12:08:03 pm »
Hi

I have just tried the KORD departure, and in both FS9 and FSX I’m getting all runways showing in the PMDG FMC, admittedly I only get the ORD4 SID, but all runways are available for selection, for information I’m using the latest V2 of the 0913 AIRAC.

I would have to agree that the most likely suspect is the navdata installed.

I’m sorry that I could not be of more help.

Jim Hodkinson

avion78

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 07:48:59 pm »
Thanks Jim and Umberto!  I haven't checked my AIRAC version yet and I will.  This seems the most probable cause.  I believe I'm using the original version that came with the PMDG 744 when I purchased it about two years ago.  I just purchased the PMDG 744F about two month ago; I don't know if this navdata automatically gets updated when that purchase is made.

I did realize that 27L/R has been changed to 27L/R and 28.  My first clue of that was when I visited, on a United flight, ORD IRL and the controller assigned our aircraft to 28!  Obviously, the 09s changed as well.  My FMC gave me a written error in the prompt when I entered KORD into the arrival airport block in the routing screen.  It said something like "09L (or R) is not recognized".  That's when NO runways appeared in the DEP/ARR screen.

At least I have something to go by and to check now.  I'll see what version I'm using compared to yours Jim.  Thanks for posting the picture too.  Previously, I was clueless!  I'll post to this thread when I've checked that.  I have another simulation going right now, on a different compuer, and I don't want to distrub it until it's done.

avion78

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 05:12:47 am »
Update:  My AIRAC data is (I sheepishly say this...) 0802.  Yup, well over a year++ old!  It looks like that needs updating!

To help me understand this, I used a text editor to look at the runway data for ORD at the time of issue of 0802.  It appears that 27L was 28 and 27R was 27L; not a mention of 27R.  That matches the AFCAD for KORD and I wonder why that doesn't work as it is; again just for me to understand this.

I did find another airport, not related to FSDT scenery, that had similar problems:  PANC.  I edited the file that Umberto mentioned ,wpNavAPT, to replace 07L/07R with 06L/06R (and the opposite runways as well).  That actually worked and my PMDG FMC showed all of the runways as it should; no error messages given.  That made me further curious as to why the KORD data, which matches AFCAD and FMC data, didn't work with the FMC.  Could it be that it's looking at the default AFCAD; which has both 27L/R?

Anyhow, no more help needed as I need to update my AIRAC data.  Thanks again to the both of you for your help!

Robin

Hodge001

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 10:17:25 am »
Hi Robin

Well at least between us all we have narrowed it down to the AIRAC, one thing you might want to try before hand editing your navdata is to download the terminal procedures from the Planepath site which is at..

http://planepath.com/

These procedures may help solve your navdata issue, it’s worth a try anyway, as even though I update my AIRAC through Navigraph, I still occasionally also use the Terminal procedures from both Planepath and some from the Avsim site, just search for the name Dan Downs.

I hope it’s of some help.

Jim Hodkinson