Author Topic: KORD V2 for PD3 v5  (Read 5926 times)

bigmack

KORD V2 for PD3 v5
« on: June 24, 2021, 04:48:28 am »
I'm trying to install KORD for PD3 v5. The installer stops and give me a message saying to uninstall KORD 2011 first before it can install. KORD 2011 is for FSX SE, on my computer. Why is it telling me to uninstall a version it has nothing to do with.

Thanks for your help

Bill M

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KORD V2 for PD3 v5
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 01:41:54 pm »
Why is it telling me to uninstall a version it has nothing to do with.

All FSDT products share a single folder without wasting space on duplicate installs, regardless how different simulators you have installed.

We assumed somebody using P3D4/5 installing the new KORD V2 wouldn't still want to use a 10-years old and very outdated airport in FSX, so the installer asks to remove the old version, since their objects are in the same shared Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc folder which is used by all sim, since it contains all objects that are compatible with all simulators.

If you *really* want to keep the 2011 version in FSX, I think you should be able to trick the installer this way:

- go to the Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc folder and look for a folder named FSDT_OhareX there

- Rename that folder to something else, like FSDT_OhareX_backup

- Install KORD V2

- Rename the folder back to FSDT_OhareX

bigmack

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 06:20:01 pm »
Thank you for your reply back. All I want to really do is install one version to use on both simulators. So if I install the V2 of KORD it will work in FSX SE and PD3 v5? Do I have to re purchased ORD again to run in both sims? If so that's not a issue, I just want to be up to date with KORD.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 02:21:48 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 02:27:30 pm »
Thank you for your reply back. All I want to really do is install one version to use on both simulators

You can't do that, because KORD V2 is a P3D4 native scenery that doesn't work in FSX, and the old 2011 version will likely work very bad with P3D V5, so we didn't add support for it in the installer.

So, I suggested what should be the most sensible option, considering you own both versions: running each version in the simulator it's supposed to be used with, which requires that trick with the V2 installer to allow you to install both.

bigmack

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 05:42:26 pm »
Thank you for your reply back. All I want to really do is install one version to use on both simulators

You can't do that, because KORD V2 is a P3D4 native scenery that doesn't work in FSX, and the old 2011 version will likely work very bad with P3D V5, so we didn't add support for it in the installer.

So, I suggested what should be the most sensible option, considering you own both versions: running each version in the simulator it's supposed to be used with, which requires that trick with the V2 installer to allow you to install both.

Okay I see. Thanks again.

bigmack

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 04:34:43 am »
I'm confused with this install. I renamed the FSDT_Ohare x folder in both simulators and in the App data folder, it still won't install. The path you indicated does not exsist on my computer. Is there some other path the the folder the needs renaming?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 11:41:50 am »
I'm confused with this install. I renamed the FSDT_Ohare x folder in both simulators

What do you mean with "FSDT_Ohare x folder in both simulators" ? You are NOT supposed to have that folder in "both" simulators. FSDT products are all installed together, regardless how many simulators you have, in ONE, SHARED folder, that is the Addon Manager folder.

The installer won't let you install two different FSDT products in two different locations: even if you made the mistake of selecting the Addon Manager destination INSIDE one simulator ( even if it might work, it's probably the worse possible choice ), ALL other FSDT products you installed will end up there too.

So, unless you made some manual moving, or you are using extremely old version of some our installers ( older than several years, since the unique shared Addon Manager folder has been introduced in 2017 ), I can't see how you could possibly have two Ohare folders in two different places.

At this point, I suggest doing the following:

- Uninstall EVERY FSDT product you have, regardless of the version or the simulator. EVERYTHING.

- Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?"  THIS IS IMPORTANT, don't skip this

- Reinstall using ONLY the LATEST version of our installers. If you are not sure you have the latest version, download it again.

- Chose a sensible location for the Addon Manager. The default in C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager is perfectly fine, and the only reason you want to choose a different place is if you are low on space on C:, in that case it's perfectly fine to choose another drive, but never, ever, install INTO a simulator folder. Even if this might work, it's likely the worse possible choice because of permission issues or the chance you might remove a sim you decided to stop using.

bigmack

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 06:55:43 pm »
Thanks again for your help
The default Addon Manager is located in my C:\ Programs files (86) folder. However it did not contain the O hara x folder. I will verify that the folder location again. But the simobjects folders I was referring to were in my Sim folders, Simobjects\Misc\ O hara. I was just looking in wrong location. My addon manager is installed in the default location. I will however uninstall everything and reinstall again.
Also does this still apply to KORD for MS 2020?

I have my work cut out for me this weekend
Thanks again Happy Holiday
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 12:44:35 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 12:46:49 am »
The default Addon Manager is located in my C:\ Programs files (86) folder. However it did not contain the O hara x folder. I will verify that the folder location again. But the simobjects folders I was referring to were in my Sim folders, Simobjects\Misc\ O hara.

This can only happen if you used an old installer for O'Hare 2011, one before 2017, when we introduced a shared folder for all our files, both scenery and simobjects, which will be ALL in the Addon Manager folder, with nothing in the simulator own folder.

So yes, you must follow my previous procedure to uninstall/reinstall everything using the current installers. AND, you the previously explained trick to TEMPORARILY rename the O'Hare 2011 Simobjects folder, so you can install KORD V2 and keep O'Hare 2011 installed in FSX.

bigmack

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 09:01:42 pm »
The default Addon Manager is located in my C:\ Programs files (86) folder. However it did not contain the O hara x folder. I will verify that the folder location again. But the simobjects folders I was referring to were in my Sim folders, Simobjects\Misc\ O hara.

This can only happen if you used an old installer for O'Hare 2011, one before 2017, when we introduced a shared folder for all our files, both scenery and simobjects, which will be ALL in the Addon Manager folder, with nothing in the simulator own folder.

So yes, you must follow my previous procedure to uninstall/reinstall everything using the current installers. AND, you the previously explained trick to TEMPORARILY rename the O'Hare 2011 Simobjects folder, so you can install KORD V2 and keep O'Hare 2011 installed in FSX.
Quick update, I have everything installed and addon manager on c drive. Thanks again for your help.