Author Topic: reinstall  (Read 12381 times)

nicholas1125

reinstall
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:24:14 am »
I waited as long as I could to post but after many hours of trying I can't get addon manager to show up in FSX. I just got a Windows 7 64 bit computer and trying to load all the FSDT products I had on my old computer but no luck. I read through all the posts re this issue and tried the suggestions over and over again. I'm running Acceleration if that matters. I am able to install all my other 3rd party addons with no issues except for all FSDT products and am getting frustrated. Let me also add I am getting the FSX crash when I try to select yes when I am asked about the bglmanx from Virtuali. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:35:37 am by nicholas1125 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: reinstall
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 03:49:23 pm »
Already explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2358.msg19604#msg19604

Try to follow that procedure to the letter, and verify FSX is asking permission to run both modules.

Also, check your antivirus is not interfering (blocking the program), as explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2261.msg18813#msg18813

Also, we had one user that had the same problem, and had FSX set into "XP SP3 compatibility mode". This wouldn't work either so, if you have FSX setup to run this way, disable that option and put it back to default.

nicholas1125

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 07:31:20 pm »
Thank you! Problem solved. I had the SP3 compatible checked, once unchecked, it worked fine. I followed the links you sent me prior to posting this and they didn't work. I didn't see the SP3 compatability issue in any post. Now I can reinstall all the other FSDT products I own. Thank you again for the help and the quick response.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:01:20 pm »
Thank you! Problem solved. I had the SP3 compatible checked, once unchecked, it worked fine. I followed the links you sent me prior to posting this and they didn't work. I didn't see the SP3 compatability issue in any post.

You didn't see the SP3 compatibility issue, because it was reported to me by email by an user just a few days ago so, it didn't hurt trying it. Note that, there's no reason why FSX should be run in XP SP3 compatibility mode, because FSX *is* Vista-aware: that mode should be used only with earlier programs that don't work under Vista/Windows7

Jarm

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:26:42 am »
I followed the instructions to the letter hoping to correct the problem without success.  It's just not going to work for me in FSX.  The FS9 version, however, is excellent.  Be nice to get a 50% refund or  half price credit toward the purchase of another scenery for FS9 to make it right for me since I paid for the two versions.  In any case, I look forward to Fsdt releasing a patch to resolve the KORD FSX issue.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:19:04 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 04:29:16 pm »
Be nice to get a 50% refund or  half price credit toward the purchase of another scenery for FS9 to make it right for me since I paid for the two versions

That's not how it works. We are here to support you so, we'll not finish, until we find the cause of the problem that is preventing the scenery to work, on your system.

And no, you haven't "paid for 2 versions": you have bought ONE scenery that can be used in two sims, but that fact that you can use it in 2 sims, doesn't obviously mean that if it didn't, it would have been sold at half price! The price would have been exactly the same, because the FS9 version it's a complete version, not half of the scenery...

In any case, I look forward to Fsdt releasing a patch to resolve the KORD FSX issue.

There's nothing to patch, because the problem it's in your system config, if it was a problem with the scenery, it would affect everyone, not just a couple of users.

And, as you can clearly see from the previous post, it's always something that can be usually solved when a wrong system setting (like the XP3 compatibility mode) gets restored to the correct value. Or, something in any case external, like an antiviru's fault.

Now, since this is your first post, so you can't obviously claim we failed to support you in any way, let's start from scratch:

1) Describe your system, especially the OS used.

2) Describe which antivirus you are using, and if you have correctly configured it as explained in the other thread.

Brian S

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 08:39:14 pm »
I am beyond frustration at this point, trying to reinstall my three FSX FSDT sceneriers (KLAS, KJFK, KORD).  I just installed Windows 7 64 bit, with a fresh install of FSX+SP1+Acceleration+SDK+SDK SP.  I followed the instructions in the provided link, and I seem to be able to get one airport installed fine, but when I install then next airporrt I get a bglmanx error message when FSX starts.  After I install the first airport successfully, how do I get the second one to install without the same error?  Wipe all theBGLmanx files and the FSX config without uninstalling the first successful airport?  I am ready to throw my machine thru the window!  What is this XP3 compatibility mode?  Not sure where that is.

Please help, I am at my wits end.

Brian

Edit:  Okay, now I have buildings at KORD, but only ground scenery and objects at KJFK and KLAS.  No buildings.  Like running in demo mode after it times out.  However, the addon manager and COULT are present in the drop down menu, and all three airports in the drop down state they are ACTIVE (not trial mode).  So, how did I get my buildings back at this point in the two airports?  I have tried rebooting the computer, rebooting FSX, etc multiple times.  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:21:46 pm by sssummer »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 10:04:16 pm »
I am beyond frustration at this point, trying to reinstall my three FSX FSDT sceneriers (KLAS, KJFK, KORD).  I just installed Windows 7 64 bit, with a fresh install of FSX+SP1+Acceleration+SDK+SDK SP.

I just made the same yesterday: Windows 7 final version 64 bit, fresh install. FSX+Acceleration fresh install. All sceneries installed fine, never had a single error message.

I followed the instructions in the provided link, and I seem to be able to get one airport installed fine, but when I install then next airporrt I get a bglmanx error message when FSX starts

Those instructions should be followed only in case of some issues with Windows, but they shouldn't be necessary on a fresh install.

After I install the first airport successfully, how do I get the second one to install without the same error?  Wipe all theBGLmanx files and the FSX config without uninstalling the first successful airport?

You shouldn't no anything. They'll just work. The bglmanx.dll file it's exacty THE SAME for all sceneries! Haven't you noticed that all the installers download it from the internet when they run ? So, if the file worked for a scenery, it has to work for all, because it hasn't changed, it's exactly the same file.

The only case you might have problems, is if you were using a very old installer that didn't had this self-update capability. OR, if you had a working internet connection while installing one scenery, which dropped for a while when installing another one so, you ended up with a mix-up of old and new files, which can result in that error.

What is this XP3 compatibility mode?  Not sure where that is.

Go to your FSX folder with Explorer, select the FSX.EXE file. Right-click on it, select "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab, and verify that NOTHING is selected. The XP SP3 compatibility mode is there, and shouldn't be selected.

Brian S

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 10:19:52 pm »
I just made the same yesterday: Windows 7 final version 64 bit, fresh install. FSX+Acceleration fresh install. All sceneries installed fine, never had a single error message.

Let me make a correction here.  You are right, I did install all three airports initially without a problem on the fresh reinstall, but I had a problem with another program and had to do a system restore.  When I did that, it messed up my installations of the FSDT airports, so thats why I followed the instructions for reinstall.

Go to your FSX folder with Explorer, select the FSX.EXE file. Right-click on it, select "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab, and verify that NOTHING is selected. The XP SP3 compatibility mode is there, and shouldn't be selected.

Did so, and not checked

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:45:16 pm by virtuali »

Brian S

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »
Okay, now I have buildings at KORD, but only ground scenery and objects at KJFK and KLAS.  No buildings.  Like running in demo mode after it times out.  However, the addon manager and Couatl are present in the drop down menu, and all three airports in the drop down state they are ACTIVE (not trial mode).  So, how did I get my buildings back at this point in the two airports?  I have tried rebooting the computer, rebooting FSX, etc multiple times. Not in XP 3 compatibility mode, and the reinstall was necessary due to a system restore I had to do regarding another program.  I suspect its like you said, has something to do with older vs newer versions of the add on manager/Couatl.  

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:33:07 pm by sssummer »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 10:47:55 pm »
You are right, I did install all three airports initially without a problem on the fresh reinstall, but I had a problem with another program and had to do a system restore.  When I did that, it messed up my installations of the FSDT airports, so thats why I followed the instructions for reinstall.

Ok, that's an ENTIRELY different issue. You weren't in a "fresh reinstall" situation: you had a problem created by another program, which created an issue, which probably wasn't entirely fixed by the system restore point, and the FSDT program started not working only after the system restore. This is very different.

Brian S

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 10:51:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  So, with all airports showing ACTIVE, but no buildings at two of them, only ground objects as in "trial mode", do you have any suggestions on how to fix that?  KORD is fine (oldest scenery), but KLAS and KFJK are not.  Just trying to get my sanity back to start the new year.   :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:53:26 pm by sssummer »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 10:53:04 pm »
Try to download the Stand Alone Addon Manager for FSX here:

http://www.virtualisoftware.com/binaries/setup_addonmanagerX.exe

This might fix something that is not fully updated, without having to redownload again all the sceneries.

Brian S

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 10:56:18 pm »
I downloaded and tried to install the file, but got the error message "an error occurred while trying to replace the existing file: DeleteFile 5  Access is denied."  Should I hit the retry button and try and proceed?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 11:01:44 pm »
That error means you were too fast running the installer, without giving enough time for FSX to close so, it was still in the act of closing files, that's why the installer couldn't update a file that was still locked.

Reboot Windows and try again.