Author Topic: Customize airport positions search  (Read 5393 times)

Chigley

Customize airport positions search
« on: June 12, 2021, 12:56:48 am »
Is it possible to search within the airport positions menu (or any other method) to find particular gate sizes? I have just purchased Chicago O'Hare V2 for P3D V5 and selected gate G3 for a B738. On trying to select ground services I was informed that the gate was too small for the aircraft. Looking at the airport positions menus I can see that you can filter jetway/no jetway and that each gate has its size allocated and is individually adjustable by the drop down lists but can you filter by gate size? With all the complexity of the position customisation facility the information is there in the program but can I ask the program to find me a gate that is "medium" or of "x" wingspan. I know I can manually change gate G£ to be "medium" but if that gate is not designed to be "medium" then I am defeating the accuracy of the airport design.
Thanks,
Ian C

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: Customize airport positions search
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 01:15:37 am »
Only way I can think of is if you load up the flight out on the runway, load up the GSX menu, select parking, and it would tell you if the spot was too small.
Captain Kevin

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 01:22:49 am »
 Gates in the real world aren't small, medium and heavy, it's more of a simism. Once you spawn in at any airport, you can then use the GSX parking selection to select a Gate that will fit the aircraft that you are in and it will offer to move you to the exact spot to then setup your flight.

Chigley

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 02:30:43 am »
OK it's a bit of a cock and bull system but yes it's only a sim so don't expect total accuracy.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 09:39:26 am »
The GSX menu will tell you if it's a gate is too small for your aircraft BEFORE you select it so it's not as if you go to a gate and then find out you can't use it.  Unless, of course, you use the "Go To airport" menu, which will allow you to position anywhere, and THEN call GSX, which will then tell you a gate might be too small.

A better way to start a flight might be always start on the Active runway, which is the default, so it's quicker than browsing through the list of gates and, once you are there, use the GSX menu to select a gate, which is instant, since it won't trigger a reload, and will give you the extra information about which gates are too small, or occupied by AI.

The reason why GSX will try to enforce using a parking with the proper size, is because if you park an airplane too large for a parking spot, GSX vehicles might have an hard time maneuvering there, based on the relationship between their starting positions and the airplane doors.

Of course, GSX being the flexible program it is, will allow you to customize this in TWO different ways:

- By parking, using the Max Wingspan setting in the parking customization dialog

- Globally, using the option to ignore the airplane size entirely in the GSX Settings, which will let you park everywhere.