Author Topic: Cant download correct files.  (Read 1914 times)

Winklerf1981

Cant download correct files.
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:24:17 am »
Good day, Ladies and Gentleman

I am facing the same problem already discussed in http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,19926.msg165817.html#msg165817 .

I followed the instructions to the letter (clear cache, delete gsx folder, redownload files and so on). Still the MD5 hash sum does not check out regarding gsx_p3d4_setup2-1.bin and  gsx_p3d4_setup2-2.bin.

So some issue with the files on the server or am I doing something wrong?

Best regards
Winkler

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Cant download correct files.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 10:56:53 am »
So some issue with the files on the server or am I doing something wrong?

The files on our server has always been correct.

The problem is, you are not connecting to our server directly, because there's no way a single server would ever be able to deal with that kind of load and bandwidth, so we use the Cloudflare CDN network of 250+ servers, and you are usually connected to the one closer to your location. Sometimes one of the nodes don't get the latest version of a file for some reason, so we need to know which they are to force a manual refresh.

Try again now.

Winklerf1981

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 12:52:18 pm »
to make it short....

Only by combining files from different downloads, i was able to install gsx.

Hash sums of my 4 downloads are attached.

Best regards
Winkler
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:57:34 pm by Winklerf1981 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 01:04:43 pm »
to make it short.... Only by combining files from different downloads, i could make it work.  Hash sums of my 4 downloads are attached.

Well, it's good it works now.

We don't have much fine control over exactly which and when each Cloudflare node will get the latest file. I guess with 250+ nodes, it's impossible to have them all replicated immediately, the only thing we can do, is just command a refresh, but *when* the refreshed file will appear, exactly, it's not certain.

It's like when a website moves to a different ISP, until all users will see the changes, it requires all DNS to be updated so, while some of them might take a few minutes, others might have to wait up to 24 hours.

The issue is, in case of this installer, which is split in parts, you must be sure to get all the correct files.

And the reason WHY the installer is split in part ( there's always a reason why things are done in a certain way ), it's because Cloudflare won't even cache files larger than 500MB, not on the normal business account we have at least. In order to cache larger files, you must have an Enterprise account, which starts at $5000 per *month*, so we would probably have to increase the GSX price JUST to be able to afford that...and without the Cloudflare cache, users would really downloading from our server directly, so nobody would really be able to download anything, because a single server wouldn't ever able to handle the load of thousands users downloading every day, assuming it won't crash, downloads would be impossibly slow, so we *must* use Cloudflare to cache files.

Our "problem" is, thanks to the free Trial which makes the download always available for everybody ( users and prospective users ), we consume WAY more bandwidth than anybody else ( well, except Microsoft with MSFS 2020 streaming ), this might be improved if we could just do like other developers do, that is "pay first, and download next", but we believe a Trial version with the ability to always get the installer before and after purchase with no limitation is of a great value to our customers, which of course is confirmed by the huge number of daily downloads, meaning users DO take advantage of it, otherwise we wouldn't have to take all these extra measure to not waste bandwidth AND provide with fast downloads at the same time.

Winklerf1981

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 01:14:42 pm »
Thank you for the explanation.

It works now, so no hard feelings. 

I think you can close the thread.

Best regards
Winkler