Author Topic: GSX, Couatl & Addon Manager not showing up in P3Dv4.5  (Read 12065 times)

red5ive

GSX, Couatl & Addon Manager not showing up in P3Dv4.5
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:34:12 pm »
The above programs have stopped working after I applied a live update on 1 March 2021. Also, the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor is full of Critical Events relating to "Couatl Scripting Engine fo FSX/ESP".

I have looked at the various posts relating to this issue and have tried all the suggested solutions without success.

I would welcome any further suggestions.

Krielkip

Re: GSX, Couatl & Addon Manager not showing up in P3Dv4.5
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 09:41:11 pm »
Same here.

Regards,

Hans

Krielkip

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 04:54:07 pm »
After a complete reinstall of GSX on P3D V4.5 and the deletion of all remaining files it still is not loading in P3D. Should I add something to the dll.xml or the exe.xml in the P3D config? Why is it not possible to do a clean install on the same machine? Not only GSX is not working but also the airports I bought.

Regards,

Hans

joe91

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 10:01:30 pm »
Hi guys!
Try to delete files from ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl\prepar3dv4

and than do live update. Maybe it will solve this problem.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:18:58 pm by joe91 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 02:28:55 pm »
When doing a report, you should ALWAYS enable logging in the Troubleshooting menu of the GSX Settings page. Without logging enabled, the error log is not detailed enough to understand what the problem really is.

Once you enable logging, you'll find the log in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.LOG file, and this is the file you should ZIP and Attach to a post.

Krielkip

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 09:05:44 pm »
Where do I find the Troubleshooting menu of the GSX Settings page? The Couatl log I have is enclosed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 09:17:40 pm »
Where do I find the Troubleshooting menu of the GSX Settings page?

Exactly there: there's a Troubleshooting section of the GSX Setting page. However, if GSX doesn't start, you won't have a GSX menu to begin with.

The Couatl log I have is enclosed.

It seems that logging was already enabled and, your log file is saying the simulator has crashed or stopped communicationg with Simconnect for other reasons, so our software quits because the sim has closed the connection.

Krielkip

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 09:59:07 pm »
The simulator did not crash. It happened after installing the latest update of GSX and I was not the only one whith this issue. I use GSX on this PC for about 2 years and never had a problem. I also lost the dll.xml file in P3D after the update. Is there a way to repair or reinstall the simconnect?

Krielkip

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 11:54:45 am »
Would reinstall the P3D client be an option to fix the simconnect?

red5ive

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 05:55:38 pm »
Virtuali, Thanks for your reply.

With the benefit of hindsight, I realise that I should have had logging enabled in the GSX settings. But, Like Krielkip, my simulator did not crash, GSX just failed to load the next time I started P3D after the live update.

Also like Kielkrip I have been using GSX for some quit some time (6 months) without any issues.

I would also point out that P3D and all other addons (Active Sky, SODE etc) are still working without any issues.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 11:03:20 am »
I haven't said the simulator SURELY crashed. I said "the simulator has crashed OR stopped communicating" so, in your case, if it hasn't crashed, it must have stopped communication with GSX, at least this is what the log posted says but, since the only one that posted a log was Krielkip, I can only say for sure this was the problem in HIS case.

As usual, you should never confuse the effect with the cause. While the effect is the same ( no Couatl and/or GSX menus in the sim ), the causes might be completely different, which is why I asked to provide a log so, @red5ive, please enable logging and provide with your detailed log.

I also lost the dll.xml file in P3D after the update. Is there a way to repair or reinstall the simconnect?

The dll.xml file is not used by GSX that, being a proper P3D4 native product, use the add-on.xml method. There WAS a bug, a long while ago, that a corrupted DLL.XML ( which, again, is NOT used by GSX ) would caused add-ons using the add-on.xml method to not load, but it has been fixed, and I don't think is the problem here because, at least from the log posted by Krielkip, the software DID start so, it's not a problem of it being prevented to load, it's started fine, but it was disconnected from Simconnect.

Krielkip

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 11:44:42 am »
Thanks for your reply. Well does this mean end of story or can you provide a solution to repair simconnect. All my addons are working flawlessly. Why is it not possible to completely uninstall GSX including the register items and do a clean install with the activation serialnumbers I still have?. Could that possibly make GSX working again?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 12:46:41 pm »
Why is it not possible to completely uninstall GSX including the register items and do a clean install with the activation serialnumbers I still have?. Could that possibly make GSX working again?

First, why you think "it's not possible" to completely uninstall GSX, and why you think this might be caused by a registry entry ?

If the problem was that you needed a GSX reinstall or a registry entry, I would have told you how to reinstall it and/or how to clean a registry entry but, the problem is, nothing of your problem has anything to do with GSX, because according to your log, GSX IS starting, but the simulator has disconnected from it.

Fact other add-ons are working doesn't mean anything, there are several Simconnect versions and they can be installed all at the same time, and each add-on might use a different one so, for example, an add-on that use the FSX version CAN connect to P3D 4, if that one is working and yes, it's possible that a problem between the two would prevent another add-on that use a different version to work correctly, because the add-on using the outdated ( but working ) version, might have stuck the sim in that version.

GSX in P3D 4 uses the native P3D4 version of Simconnect so, if you have a problem with that one, but not with other versions, add-on using the FSX version will still work, but not the ones using the native 4.x version, like GSX

First thing to try, is to disable EVERY add-on except GSX, which for proper add-on that use the add-on.xml method like GSX should be fairly simple: disable them in the OPTIONS->ADD-ONS menu. However, legacy add-ons might still use the DLL/EXE.XML files, so they can only be disabled by manually removing their entries from those files, or uninstalling them.

If you are able to run GSX with all the other add-ons disabled, then it's SURE your problem was caused by an add-on using an outdated Simconnect version that caused a conflict with the proper version used by GSX, which would otherwise work.

If, instead, you still get that problem with all the add-ons disabled, then you might really have a problem with the P3D native Simconnect, which is usually fixed by Uninstalling/Reinstalling the simulator that, opposite of what many think, DOES NOT require to reinstall add-on.

Of course, all the usual suggestions are stil valid:

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder

- Run the FSDT live Update after the antivirus has been proper configuired.

- Sometimes a Windows restart might help, in order to complete an update of the VC++ runtimes required by Simconnect, P3D and GSX.

red5ive

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 03:59:34 pm »
Umberto,

Just one question, how am I supposed to enable logging when I cant get GSX, Couatl or Addon Manager to run?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 04:09:41 pm »
Just one question, how am I supposed to enable logging when I cant get GSX, Couatl or Addon Manager to run?

open the Notepad and type the following on a new blank file:

logFile=couatl.log

(please note logFile is written beginning with a lower case L and a capital F )

- Save the file as couatl.ini in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder