Author Topic: GSX Menu stuck  (Read 6433 times)

Alpolex

GSX Menu stuck
« on: December 12, 2020, 04:45:35 pm »
Dear Ladies and Gents,

the GSX menu is likely to get stuck in previous situations like the pushback menu while having the pushback completed correctly and arriving at the destination airport.
Flying today on LH690 FRA-TLV from Gate A38, the pushback option was still displayed on arrival C4 in LLBG (TLV).

https://i.imgur.com/z2xu6tx.png

It's reproducable and happend to me already several times on the current version and 5.1HF1 with the latest updates from FSDT.

Best Regards,
Alexander
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 09:39:12 am by virtuali »

Alpolex

Re: GSX Menu stuck
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 08:15:45 pm »
Hey,

just pointing out that I am waiting for a reply. Could anybody please assist?

Best Regards,
Alex

MediocreGorilla

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:29:26 pm »
Several reports about that popped up this week.

Umberto already stated that GSX could not possibly cause this and there's reports of different applications stuck on the Simconnect window (https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140586)
Therefore we will probably not get a solution anytime soon. It's a shame as this is rendering GSX unusable for any arrival or second leg.

Alpolex

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 09:15:29 am »
Thank you, seems like a case of #Produktpflege :D

Greetings, see you in your next stream

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 10:01:39 am »
Since this has been already discussed in another thread, and you can clearly see from the thread on LM forum that happens on EVERY application that uses the Simconnect menu, it's clear that:

- This is NOT a GSX issue

- We already explained it's not here on the forum, trying our best to let users understand the handling of the menus and the key recognition is NOT something we can control

So, there wasn't any need to open a new thread, since this was already discussed here, on LM forum ( clearly indicating the problem is not GSX ) too so, it's just ANOTHER cause of the P3D menu having an issue that users think is related to GSX, but that's just because GSX is likely the most popular product that use it.

It already happened several times:

- With P3D 4.1, the menu entries auto-selected themselves. Users came here convinced it was a GSX problem, but of course it wasn't, LM FIXED IT with a patch later on.

- With P3D 5.0, using the menu too many times lead to a crash in VCRUNTIME.DLL. Users came here convinced it was a GSX problem, but of course it wasn't, LM FIXED IT in 5.1 by redoing the menu system from scratch, from Scaleform to Html5.

- With P3D 5.1, the menu entries got scrambled, so you saw titles from an application ( let's say GSX ), but with entries from another one ( let's say ActiveSky ). Users came here convinced there was a problem with GSX or a conflict with ActiveSky, but of course it wasn't, LM fixed it with a 5.1 HF.

- With P3D 5.1 HF, it seems sometime the menu stop responding. Users are coming here convinced it's a GSX problem, but I'm sure this will be fixed by LM as well, like all the others.

- With every version of P3D, the menu auto-resize itself to be too small to contain all items, and this happens with some 3rd party airplanes that dispose gauges in a specific way. Users came here convinced it was a GSX problem, we keep explaining we have NO CONTROL whatsoever on the Simconnect menu and its size or location, hoping they would understand. This problem hasn't been fixed so far, we asked several times if the menu could always auto-resize based on the number of entries, but this fix hasn't come so far.

As we already confirmed multiple times ( for the past years, each time a problem in the simulator menu affects GSX) : we have NO CONTROL over the keyboard handling that happens in the Simconnect menu, same as we have no control over the menu size, location or looks.

Note that I'm calling "the Simconnect menu", and not the "GSX menu", since there's no such thing as a "GSX menu".

There's only a "Simconnect menu", which has only ONE way to be created, it's a single Simconnect call that's has been the same since FSX and hasn't changed in any version of the sim and doesn't require any change or adaptation on our side to work with latest versions of the sim, and it's just a single call in which we simply send the sim a list of entries, the simulator will read the keyboard (or the mouse ) BY ITSELF, and will return to us with a value indicating what the user has chosen. That's it, there's not much else we are supposed to do to use the menu, it's all a black box to us.

Alpolex

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 09:13:05 pm »
Thank youf or your reply!
With the latest update from FSL I haven't had this issue.

What would be an appropriate station to report it?

Best Regards and have a nice christmas!

MediocreGorilla

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 02:04:26 pm »
Little update with a possible workaround:
There's a way to revert to the old scaleform menus. This is explained here: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140267

Note that the scaleform menus were known to crash P3D in pervious v5 builds. That said I have tested this workaround for 3 days straight, had no CTD and no stuck menu. You may give it a try.

p3dx3

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 01:27:59 pm »
On approach and landing I couldnt set an arrival stand the gsx menu displays a "Select Pushback Direction" window. P3D 5.1 Ran Auto Update this morning.

tangjuice81

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 08:29:27 pm »
This has happened a few times and I'm unaware of the issue causing it. However the GSX menu is being stuck on push back in progress, even after landing and taxiing to a gate. Any suggestions? Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 10:34:44 am »
Please try to make a more accurate report:

On approach and landing

Does it mean it ONLY happens after landing ?

On approach and landing I couldnt set an arrival stand

OR, does it mean you are unable to pre-select a gate on approach ? What "on landing" means, exactly ? While you are landing or AFTER you touched down ? There's a difference.

the gsx menu displays a "Select Pushback Direction" window

Where, exactly ? You started with "on approach and landing" but now you are discussing about a menu that is supposed to be seen only after you go to a gate and you turn off engines and set parking brakes.

Assuming this is what you meant, have you selected the Pushback option after landing, after doing some other operation like Deboarding, or you just went to the gate, and selected Pushback directly ?

And, saying "the gsx menu displays a Select Pushback Direction window" sound as if the windows displays JUST that entry, and nothing else ? Is this the case ? Could be the windows is just too small and must be resized to show other option ? That's the window title, do you mean the window has only a title and no options ?

Julxxs

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 08:43:18 pm »
Can you send screen plz?

MrNelz

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 02:55:21 am »
I have the same issue.

I used GSX to pushback at KLGA.

On arrival at FSDT KORD, I pulled up to the gate and opened the GSX menu. It displayed the "Abort pushback" and "Stop here and complete pushback" options only. I restarted the COUATL app in the P3D menu but still only the options mentioned were available. I disabled GSX via the P3D menu and then re-enabled it and again there was no change. Opening the SODE menu also presented the same GSX menu. It's like the menu has stuck.

P3D V5 HF1, with FSDT KORD, GSX Lvl 2, TFDi 717, Drzwiecki Chicago City and New York City.

Windows 10 20H2,
i7-8086K @5Ghz,
32Gb RAM @3600Mhz,
2080ti FE,
All P3D and addons on a dedicated 2TB SSD.     

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 10:08:51 am »
It displayed the "Abort pushback" and "Stop here and complete pushback" options only. I restarted the COUATL app in the P3D menu but still only the options mentioned were available. I disabled GSX via the P3D menu and then re-enabled it and again there was no change. Opening the SODE menu also presented the same GSX menu. It's like the menu has stuck.

If you restarted Couatl, it's 100% sure the problem is NOT GSX, but it's a bug in the simulator Simconnect menu that, as you say, is "stuck". After a Couatl restart, GSX is completely restarted, it has no memory of any previous session, so it cannot possibly know you started a pushback before the restart.

So, this seems to be another case of the P3D Simconnect menu bug which affects GSX and users assume it's GSX.

Since this was already discussed, I merged all identical threads in a single one so, check the above post by MediocreGorilla about a possible workaround to change the P3D menu back to Scaleform.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:12:05 am by virtuali »

Alpolex

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 12:55:38 pm »
Thank you for giving us this information.
However, Simconnect is from which developer? Is there a fix upcoming?

Best Regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 12:07:35 pm »
However, Simconnect is from which developer?

Simconnect is the standard communication API for all add-ons, but the thing that is "stuck" here is not Simconnect as a whole, it's the Simconnect MENU. Which of course is part of it so, if there anything wrong with it, the only ones that can fix it is Lockheed Martin.