Author Topic: Very Low Frame Rates when undocking **SOLVED**  (Read 6770 times)

torontorob

Very Low Frame Rates when undocking **SOLVED**
« on: December 11, 2020, 03:56:02 am »
I was notified that my trial version for CYVR had expired. That alone is a bit odd, as I paid for the program and have been using it for many years. I tried to install it, and all went well except that my frame rates have dropped to an unusable 1.7 FPS. No matter what airport I am at, the FPS is 1.7. If I completely uninstall CYVR from my computer, including add on Manager, my FPS goes back to normal. When I uninstall it, I also lose GSX level 2. I am using P3DV4.5, Windows 10, Nvidea 1080 graphics card.

Please let me know how to get both CYVR and GSX level 2 working again for P3DV4.5
Thanks

Rob
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:46:12 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Very Low Frame Rates
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 10:49:25 am »
Nothing you are reporting should normally happen.

The software surely doesn't deactivate itself for no reason. If it has, it means something in your hardware or your drivers changed so significantly that it would be interpreted like an hardware change.

This, assuming with "my Trial version expired", you REALLY mean your are now in Trial mode. Just to be sure: "Trial mode" means the scenery runs perfectly fine for 5-6 minutes per session, and then buildings disappear. This is "Trial version". If you just lost the buildings, that's not a "Trial expired" ( the Trial never expires, it runs the scenery for un unlimited number of times, just for 5-6 minutes per session ), it's "software not running", which is usually caused by the antivirus mistakenly decided to block a software that, as you said, worked for years. So, first confirm what your situation really is: are you back in Trial, or the scenery simply disappeared ?

Uninstalling a scenery should not remove GSX, unless you replied "Do you want to remove the Addon manager ?", which you shouldn't if you want to just uninstall a scenery, without uninstalling anything else.

About the supposed loss of fps, something that low is unheard of, and it's clearly a problem with your settings. And, it's plain impossible that "just" installing CYVR would result in such a loss of fps *everywhere*, since nothing in the installer touches your settings, like graphic settings for example.

So, what really happened instead, must be something else entirely, that maybe *caused* the loss of activation, so you assumed this was caused by CYVR, but in fact the same problem that caused the loss of activation might have caused the low fps.

The first thing to try is:

- Install the latest video drivers and choose to do a customized "Clean" install when asked.

- Have the sim rebuild its shaders, by removing this folder:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d V4\Shaders

- Test the fps

- Reinstall CYVR and GSX.

- Don't touch anything, and report back.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 11:10:55 am »
As a reference, here's a screenshot of the fps I'm getting at CYVR with P3D 4.5

torontorob

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 10:22:40 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply. I have performed the the install of updated video drivers "Clean" install, as well as removed the %localaoodata%\shaders file as per your instructions. The result is no different from before.

I am wondering if this might be problem. It appears I am running a trial version of GSX. When I Load KSFO and use a "default" plane, GSX works well and frame rates are fine. If I use my PMDG 737 aircraft, that is when I am getting the low frame rates.

I cannot seem to find how to activate the full version of the program, since I bought GSX, GSX Level 2 expansion, and CYVR, all for P3DV4. GSX was purchased from PC Aviator on Nov 29, 2013, and CYVR was purchased from PC aviator on Dec 1 1014.

Your help in getting these programs activated would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 12:22:26 pm »
I am wondering if this might be problem. It appears I am running a trial version of GSX.

The Trial version works exactly like the full version, just only on FSDT airports and Trial airports.

When I Load KSFO and use a "default" plane, GSX works well and frame rates are fine. If I use my PMDG 737 aircraft, that is when I am getting the low frame rates.

Wasn't this thread about CYVR ? Make the same test ( PMDG vs default ) at CYVR, please.

I cannot seem to find how to activate the full version of the program, since I bought GSX, GSX Level 2 expansion, and CYVR, all for P3DV4. GSX was purchased from PC Aviator on Nov 29, 2013, and CYVR was purchased from PC aviator on Dec 1 1014.

Select "Register Serial" from the Manager, and insert your key.

Be sure the firewall won't block the program, otherwise you'll likely get an "invalid key", which doesn't mean your key is not valid, just the activation server can't be contacted because your firewall is preventing our software to contact it so, just turn off the firewall during the activation.

This won't change anything to your fps, of course.

torontorob

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 02:12:43 pm »
When I tried to set up CYVR before my initial post, it said that I needed GSX to run the Jetways. I have been installing and uninstalling GSX for the past few days and this is what is happening. When using PMDG 737 with GSX and or CYVR installed I get 1.7FPS, which is totally unusable. If I delete CYVR from my system, same result. If I delete GSX from my system, same result. If I delete GSX, and also delete the Add On Manager, then my frame rates are back to normal, and my sim runs as before.

I will try once more to install just CYVR, and see what happens. I will let you know most probably tomorrow.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Rob

P.S. I also have CYVR for MSFS2020 on the same computer, but that seems to be working perfectly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 07:33:28 am »
When using PMDG 737 with GSX and or CYVR installed I get 1.7FPS, which is totally unusable. If I delete CYVR from my system, same result. If I delete GSX from my system, same result. If I delete GSX, and also delete the Add On Manager, then my frame rates are back to normal, and my sim runs as before.

And you STILL have failed to do the one and only test which really mattered, which is trying CYVR with GSX and a default airplane.

P.S. I also have CYVR for MSFS2020 on the same computer, but that seems to be working perfectly.

Of course it does, the scenery was never a problem to begin with.

torontorob

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 02:05:37 pm »
I activated CYVR. It works well with the Default Mooney Bravo, but have the same low frame rates 1.7FPS withe the PMDG 737.

Can I get my GSX activation key from you, or do I have to contact PCaviator? I believe I bought GSX level 2 directly from FSDT and will need an activation code for that as well. Please see purchase receipt below.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:36:10 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 10:40:11 am »
I activated CYVR. It works well with the Default Mooney Bravo, but have the same low frame rates 1.7FPS withe the PMDG 737.

So that's settles it: you don't have low fps with CYVR, you get low fps with the PMDG 737. And it's nobody's fault, the problem are likely your settings, which are too high for your hardware to handle, the COMBINATION of all the scenery you use ( I bet you use other add-on scenery too, like OrbX ), the airport AND the airplane, are probably resulting in exceeding your card VRAM.

- With P3D5, when you exceed your available VRAM, the simulator will just crash, due to the different way memory handling works in DX12

- With P3D4.5, when you exceed your available VRAM, the fps will slow down A LOT.

Can I get my GSX activation key from you, or do I have to contact PCaviator? I believe I bought GSX level 2 directly from FSDT and will need an activation code for that as well. Please see purchase receipt below.

You should NEVER, EVER put your personal details online!! As explained so many times already, here, on the forum and in the manual, questions about orders should always be posted using the support email.

torontorob

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 09:24:21 pm »
I have done a lot of testing over the past few days, and I believe I found where the problem initiates, and hopefully you can help me find a fix for it. Just a reminder, I have been using, GSX level 1, level 2 and VCR scenery, for many years now, with no problems, and with exactly the same set up as I have now. For some reason (a few weeks ago) I got a message on my computer that my VCR scenery had expired. I have since removed all GSX products on my computer, and after reinstall, that is when my low frame rate problem started.

So here is what I figured out. I can now get GSX level 1 and level 2 and VCR scenery all working well on my computer. It does not matter what airplane (default or payware), or what airport I am at, all FSDT products work as described.

The problem arises, when FSDT software is installed on my computer, and I undock a cockpit screen, and drag it to another monitor. Once in place (within 3 seconds), my frame drops from 20 FPS to 1.8 FPS, which of course is totally not usable. If I uninstall VCR Scenery, or GSX from my computer, but do NOT uninstall add on manager, the problem is still there. If I uninstall VCR and or GSX, and also uninstall add on manager, my frame rates are back to normal, in all situations, whether docked or undocked, default or payware, at virtually any airport.

This leads me to believe that there is something with add on manager and undocking screens, that seems to mess up my frame rates.

So with FSDT on my computer, and using any airplane model without undocking the screens, FSDT works great. With FSDT NOT on my computer and using any airplane model including undocking the screens, my sim works great.

Can you help me figure out how to get FSDT to work with my screens undocked, because that is how my cockpit is set up. I know it can be done, because it has worked this way for many years. Any chance there is something in one of the upgrades that is causing the problem?

I leave it to your expertise. Please feel free to ask me any additional questions you may have.

Thanks again, for taking the time to help me get my sim running, the way it used to before.

Rob

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 12:01:23 pm »
The problem arises, when FSDT software is installed on my computer, and I undock a cockpit screen, and drag it to another monitor. Once in place (within 3 seconds), my frame drops from 20 FPS to 1.8 FPS,

This is normal, and it's related to the usage of DirectX 11 and Render to texture feature in GSX to create jetway numbers and operator logos in a way more efficient way, but it's not really compatible with multiple screens.

Try to disable the "Render To Texture" feature in the Addon Manager and restarts, see if it fixes it.

torontorob

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 03:19:00 am »
Yes, that worked! GSX Level 1 and Level and VCR scenery are all working great now.

I really want to thank you. It is very easy to blame it on another program, or a hardware problem, but you stayed with me all the way, until you came up with a solution.

I really enjoy the programs, as they really enhance my my flight simulation. I even enjoy them more now, knowing that someone is there to help if something does go wrong.

Thanks again, and all the best for 2021.

Rob