Author Topic: [MSFS] Gate A12: no ramp connection?  (Read 4112 times)

Er!k

[MSFS] Gate A12: no ramp connection?
« on: November 05, 2020, 11:11:06 am »
I just landed into Basel for the first time, nice job! Have a few remarks:
- I was instructed to gate 12, but the markings say 12A... Limitation on the MSFS SDK or design choice?
- No ramp connection is available, pushback, bagage and catering are
- The logbook did not record my landing, I think because I parked a little bit too much forward (green box disappeared). Could that be the cause?

https://i.postimg.cc/265kgx6J/002.png
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 11:21:30 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: [MSFS] Gate A12: no ramp connection?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 11:35:34 am »
- I was instructed to gate 12, but the markings say 12A... Limitation on the MSFS SDK or design choice?

We can probably fix this, since MSFS is a bit more flexible with naming that P3D/FSX were.

- No ramp connection is available, pushback, bagage and catering are

What do you mean with ramp ? The parking is flagged as "Gate Medium" and, according to the scenery editor, it should offer the following services:

Marhaller
Pushback
Baggage Loader
Catering Truck
Ground Power Unit
Small Pushback.

The logbook did not record my landing, I think because I parked a little bit too much forward (green box disappeared). Could that be the cause?

That's weird, I think the logbook should register a flight as soon as you land (not sure if you must stop too), and you go back to the main menu.

Er!k

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 12:03:55 pm »
Hi Umberto,

With ramp connection (how it is called in the ATC menu) I mean the front stairs that can be connected to door L1. I cannot choose that option from the menu.

Normally a flight ends when you reach the designated parking ATC guides you to, and when shutting down the engines. I will try a second time to see if it was a one-time issue.

Er!k

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 12:55:49 pm »
Same issue when starting a new flight from gate 30. No stairs to connect to the aircraft...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 01:05:36 pm »
Same issue when starting a new flight from gate 30. No stairs to connect to the aircraft...

I think is something we can't change for now, unless Asobo fixes it. The issue is:

- If a parking spot is flagged as Ramp ( which can only be GA, Cargo or Military ), it won't expect a jetway, so it will use stairs instead. However, if a parking is flagged as GA, you'll see small GA AI planes instead of airliners. Users will surely complain about that, since seeing GA planes on airline gates is the first thing you notice.

- If a parking spot is flagged as Gate, the sim expects to have a jetway. Earlier releases of the SDK *prevented* developers to create a Gate without a jetway, the editor flagged it as an error and refuse to compile the scenery.

These two issues made impossible to create a proper "Apron" parking for airliners only. It was always like that since FSX but, in MSFS you notice it more, because there are more services are available now, like passenger stairs. Some developers asked Asobo to fix the editor, and allow Gates with no jetways, so now the compiler gives a warning instead of an error, and accepts the scenery as valid, but I guess the sim is still considering it as it "should" have a jetway, so it won't create stairs.

It might be possible to improve on this by using custom service definitions but, the SDK documentation is woefully incomplete here, and the relevant options in the scenery editor don't do anything yet, so we rather wait for either a fix or a completed documentation, before making changes in the blind, for something that is likely change anyway in future updates of the sim.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 01:07:24 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 01:18:07 pm »

If you run the FSDT Live Update now, we already have a fix that should improve some bumps over taxiways, and it also renames parkings with the -A suffix, where required.

Er!k

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 02:08:17 pm »
Thanks for the quick fix on this!