Author Topic: vLSO confuses FSX and FSX:SE, does not work  (Read 6423 times)

captainamerica

vLSO confuses FSX and FSX:SE, does not work
« on: October 30, 2020, 09:45:58 pm »
vLSO has developed a bug where it appears to confuse my FSX Steam Edition with vanilla FSX despite the latter not being installed on my computer. This results in the program not working. I have been unable to resolve the problem and any help would be much appreciated.

The problem: I receive no LSO calls on final (e.g. power, line up, etc.), my landings are not graded, FCLP locations are not recognised, and groove times and comments (except TWA and TCA) are not written to the logbook.

Whats so strange is that all other functionality operates as usual. I.e., carriers are recognised, I receive approach instructions (Case, BRC/FB, altimeter) upon entering CCA, and all appropriate callouts prior to and including "roger ball". All landings are logged, with aircraft, WOD, wire number, glideslope and lineup charts (with AOA). FS Checker shows that FSX (non-Steam) is installed, which it is not, referencing the FSX:SE installation path. FSX:SE is not found.

I have tried: To completely reinstall FSX:SE (including deleting all miscellaneous folders, addons, etc.), reinstalling vLSO, and using different aircraft, reinstalling FCLP scenery, using different carriers, NAV1 frequencies, etc. The setup is FSX:SE (current, non-beta), on Windows 10, with VRS Superbug and TacPack, AiCarriers, and vLSO (1130). FSX (non-Steam) has never been installed on the computer.

I cannot figure what has been overlooked. Any help is much appreciated.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: vLSO confuses FSX and FSX:SE, does not work
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 02:04:41 pm »
Hi there,
That's really strange. May I have your FSchecker's output, please? I believe you're using the latest 7.2 version of it, right?
Now, some questions on windows 10. Is it 32 or 64 bits? Is UAC (User Account Control) OFF (the slider is at the bottom)? How many user accounts exist on your system?
And finally, did any previous versions work well on same system?
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

captainamerica

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 03:39:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply and for a very good add-on.

Yes, vLSO has worked just fine previously. At that time the system ran version 1.1.1.5., but reverting to this version now did not rectify the problem.

The Windows system is 64 bit (Home edition), with only one user account and UAC off.

Yes, I am running FSchecker v. 7.2. The output is:

App data path: C:\Users\d\AppData\Roaming
Local roaming path: C:\Users\d\AppData\Local
Roaming path: C:\ProgramData

Checking FSX...
------------------------------------------------------

Registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0 - OK
AppPath value - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\
fsx.exe - OK, found in HKCU hive
Now trying to read FSX scenery config file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg...

OK, 122 scenery definitions read

Checking FSX:SE...

Registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0 - OK
AppPath value - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
fsx.exe - NOT FOUND

Checking Prepar3D v.2...

Registry key SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 - NOT FOUND

Checking Prepar3D v.3...

Registry key SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 - OK
Prepar3D.exe - NOT FOUND

Checking Prepar3D v.4...

Registry key SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 - OK
AppPath value -
Prepar3D.exe - NOT FOUND

Checking Prepar3D v.5...

Registry key SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 - NOT FOUND

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 04:48:47 pm »
Did your W10 update recently? Just guessing, because I noticed that W10 after certain auto-updates tends to 'forget' user settings or exhibit some strange behaviour. The fact that vLSO previously worked well makes me believe this is the case.

Anyways, if this is acceptable to you, I'd suggest reinstalling FSX by following these steps:
- Uninstall FSX as usual
- Run regedit.exe, open the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive and remove both FSX and FSX:SE keys, i.e. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition
- Install FSX:SE back, but this time into a separate folder (better on a separate drive), something like C:\FSX, or D:\FSX, whatever...

Hope this helps.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

captainamerica

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 05:50:41 pm »
Good point, a Windows update might very well be the cause. No other major changes had been made to the system when the the problem arose. I will be away for some time, but will re-install as per your instructions as soon as possible. Thank you for the help.