Author Topic: Enigma Protector Error prevents install of Live Update  (Read 4694 times)

winged532

Enigma Protector Error prevents install of Live Update
« on: October 20, 2020, 04:40:38 pm »
Windows 10 fully upgraded, P3D v5, only using Windows defender as my anti virus. I have tried all the advice from previous posts about this problem.  I have excluded the addon folder from windows defender as well as individual couatl.exe files from defender.  I have deleted all my airport addons from fsdreamteam as well as GSX using the uninstall files in windows control panel.  When I reinstall GSX first, it fully installs up to the point where it wants to install the FSDT live update.  This is where I get the "internal protection error" from enigma protector.  I have tried to run Live update in SAFE Mode but it will not connect to the internet.  Please try to give me some guidance as to what the problem is or I will be unable to use all my FSdreamteam airports.  This is very frustrating!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Enigma Protector Error prevents install of Live Update
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 10:07:53 pm »
I can only repeat and confirm, the one and only possible reason for that error is the antivirus. I can also assure you that, if you really use *only* Windows Defender, excluding the Addon Manager folder is the only thing required, nothing else.

Be sure you don't have another security program that might do similar things, products like firewall, internet security, anti-spyware and such might do a realtime protection ( and thus catch false positives too ), like an antivirus, even if they are not technically antivirus, so you must have to configure them as well.

winged532

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 11:18:08 pm »
Is there any way that Enigma protector can tell what is causing this error?  Any log, etc?  Can I get an installer that does not use Enigma protector.  I have had GSX and six airports installed OK last August, it was only  after I tried to install another airport last week that this trouble began.  And why do I you have to use Enigma protector in the first place.  I have many other addons that do not use it.  Very, very frustrating.

winged532

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 11:56:09 pm »
I am happy to say that I was able to FINALLY install GSX to completion including Live update!  What I did was search for items in Windows control panel that might be blocking access to the internet.  I explored "Windows Defender Firewall" and looked in "Allowed Apps".  In the section titled "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" I clicked on "Allow another app..." and from the Add Manager folder I added the "couatl scripting engine for FSX/ESP", and "Couatl_Updater2", and "FSDreamteam Updater".  This is in addition to excluding the Addon Manager folder in windows Defender.  I will now try to reinstall the airports I have.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 05:32:30 am »
I am happy to say that I was able to FINALLY install GSX to completion including Live update!  What I did was search for items in Windows control panel that might be blocking access to the internet.  I explored "Windows Defender Firewall" and looked in "Allowed Apps". 

That's good to hear, although with the Windows Defender firewall this shouldn't be required, but if it works for you, that's fine.

mrmoser

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 07:25:53 am »
Unfortunately, I am also experiencing the "Enigma Protector Error".

I have read this thread, and I have tried the procedures tested by other members, to no avail.

The Antivirus solution currently being used is "Sophos Home".

Both Sophos, as well Windows' Firewall were completely disabled, and I still experienced the "Enigma Error"...

Looking forward to your feedback on the issue.

Marcel Moser

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:51:55 am »
Both Sophos, as well Windows' Firewall were completely disabled, and I still experienced the "Enigma Error"...

Yes, Sophos is confirmed to be one of the worse when false positives are concerned.

We never suggest to "disable" the antivirus, some antivirus ( I personally witnessed this first hand on an user system ) will continue to block files even if the look "disabled", because their low service is still running in the background. That's why you should not disable the antivirus but, instad, add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus Exclusions.

PaulDM

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 07:40:09 pm »
Good Afternoon to the people who are having problems with updating or installing and get the Enigma error and are using Sophos. I opened the Sophos program and selected help just above the scan button. On the right side of the box select Troubleshooting, than shut off Tamper Protection and than go to the Local Exclusions where I added x86 Manager\Couatl_Updater.exe; \couatl_Updater2.exe. Than Addon Manager\Patcher.exe; Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\GSX Level2 Control Panel.exe. I than rebooted and than made sure I had the Addon Manager in the exclusions in the online account page. Good Luck
PaulDM