Author Topic: Installation question  (Read 3916 times)

lucagigli

Installation question
« on: October 18, 2020, 01:43:45 pm »
Hi Umberto. I've bought O0Hare, Key West and Vancouver for Msfs. Installer has installed all sceneries in another disk, where I've Addon Manager installed (it's I: but Msfs is in G:). I've seen in Addon Manager there is a folder "MSFS" with sceneries inside. Are correct those installations?

Thank you

Luca Gigli

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installation question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 03:14:33 pm »
I've seen in Addon Manager there is a folder "MSFS" with sceneries inside. Are correct those installations?

Of course they are. I suggest reading both the installer message carefully, which will briefly explain what is going to happen, and there are several threads on the MSFS forums here which explains this in greater detail.

Basically, we just put a symbolic link to the Community folder, which links back to the Addon Manager\MSFS folder, so the scenery can be easily kept updated with the same FSDT Live Update too.

Salexaero

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 02:13:03 pm »
Hello. Bought the update "Vancouver V2 for MSFS" and installed it in the folder "Community" and "Addon Manager" for Prepar3D v5.
In Prepar3dv5, the script looks like old shabby clothes made of colorful patches and spider webs from the untouched
old frame and taxiwayes lines. Also, MSFS began to load longer if you choose the Vancouver V2 airport scenario as one of the arrival or
departure points. One more remark! Why the Vancouver script is absent in the simulator store and in the user profile materials. Maybe that's why it loads so slowly?

Michael2

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 06:33:10 pm »
I have to say I am confused by the installation.  The installer told me the files would be installed outside the community folder yet all the files appear to be there.  I have been taking the CYVR folder to and from the community folder in order to deactivate or reactivate the scenery as desired which was when I noticed it is full of files.  I haven't checked my addon manager folder as I have no idea where that is.

lucagigli

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 08:51:31 pm »
Thank you Umberto

Luca Gigli

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 10:52:07 pm »
I have to say I am confused by the installation.  The installer told me the files would be installed outside the community folder yet all the files appear to be there. 

They are not. They are in the Addon Manager\MSFS folder, the installer has only placed a shortcut to it, and they *look* as if they were there, but they aren't. That's how the simulator sees them. Technically, is called a "Junction", which is the correct and safer method that works for whole folders and even across different drives.

I haven't checked my addon manager folder as I have no idea where that is.

It's where you installed it. If you accepted the default, it's in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager"

Michael2

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 01:30:44 am »
Thanks for the reply.  My addon manager folder is empty.

The folder in MSFS Community folder originally had a sort of shortcut label on it.  When I moved the folder out (so I could use CYVR with a working ILS), this label disappeared.  Having moved the folder back into the Community folder it is still without the label so presumably the files moved?  There's 509 MB of something in it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 05:30:51 am »
Thanks for the reply.  My addon manager folder is empty.

That's because you have removed the junction so, you thought you were acting on the Community folder but, instead, you emptied the Addon Manager.

Having moved the folder back into the Community folder it is still without the label so presumably the files moved?  There's 509 MB of something in it.

You can't just move files around like that. Remove everything and *always* use the installer.