Author Topic: GSX to be used by third-party software  (Read 3134 times)

Steff Fabiano

GSX to be used by third-party software
« on: September 21, 2020, 11:56:19 am »
Hi Community,

you have a great piece of software and I really like flying with it, adding more reality to the sim-world.

My wish is, to be able to use GSX through other software (e.g. FSFlightControl) to make it very easy and comfortable to use.

So give your great software the opportunity to be much better in future - to have an API reachable via networking, to be used by third-party software.

WOW - almost perfect then. Giving us all the possibility to define keyboard-shortcuts and making our sim-world way more easy and flying more fun.

Thanks !

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX to be used by third-party software
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 07:00:22 pm »
GSX can surely be used with other software, and there are several developers ( Aerosoft, FS Labs, Leonardo, MCE++ ) that used the included documentation to interface with it from their products.

Steff Fabiano

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:08:43 pm »
Hi Umberto,

thanks for replying.

I read your statements about this issue a few times before, but I am not happy with it until now.

I spoke to a developer last days and for sure, until today there is no, via network reachable API (interface), mentioning without a module in P3D itself, to be used by third-party developers like e.g. FSFlightControl.

It would be a great success in future for your software and thus for all users, having the opportunity, not scolling through menus anymore and giving up some reality in flying ... letting e.g. FSFlightControl inside and on top their software-surface and even simpler, me as a user defining some keyboard-shortcuts, having them on buttons and selecting GSX with it ... a wonderful thinking ... I am sure, you will be pleased what people say, buying your great software in the future.

Steff Fabiano

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 10:00:07 am »
Hi Umberto,

what might be the reason, not supplying GSX with an API for other developers and to stop "menu-searching" for users inside the sim for any kind of GSX movement and to be able to define keyboard-shortcuts for every command ?

Looking forward to your answer, thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 11:05:00 am »
This has been discussed many times on the forum: GSX is not designed to be remotely controlled. The interface other developers can use is to allow their products to adapt on what GSX is doing, not to remote control it.

Doing such API will require many changes, because right now GSX is driven by your choices in the Simconnect menu and, they are not just "keypresses", some of them are interactive, meaning the next menu you see might be related to the previous one or might be related to the internal logic, which would have to be duplicated by the program controlling it.

If your goal is "just" controlling the GSX menu remotely, you don't really need an "API", you would only need some kind of program that can duplicate the menu remotely, and send back choices via network Simconnect, maybe is something we might do.

ab-tools

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 01:21:34 pm »
Hello Humberto,

GSX can surely be used with other software, and there are several developers ( Aerosoft, FS Labs, Leonardo, MCE++ ) that used the included documentation to interface with it from their products.

Andreas again from FS-FlightControl ;) - we met also in person at FlightSimExpo last year.

As we have discussed there (and previously via e-mail/forum messages) we are unfortunately unable to use your existent interface as we do not have any module installed inside Prepar3D. FS-FlightControl often even runs on a separate computer just connected to Prepar3D using SimConnect.

So to interface we GSX we would need a network-based API (I would suggest to simply use custom SimConnect variables/events for this).
Furthermore, one main request of our customers is to be able to hide the GSX menu in Prepar3D while GSX is remote-controlled from the instructor station (by FS-FlightControl).

Again, we would really like to interface with your product - please consider to add a network-/SimConnect-based API to your product to enable us to do so.

Best regards and thanks for considering
Andreas
https://www.fs-flightcontrol.com

ab-tools

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 01:23:49 pm »
If your goal is "just" controlling the GSX menu remotely, you don't really need an "API", you would only need some kind of program that can duplicate the menu remotely, and send back choices via network Simconnect, maybe is something we might do.

Actually this would be exactly what we need!
Just remote control the GSX menu through SimConnect, ideally plus the option to hide the GSX menu inside Prepar3D while GSX is being remote controlled this way.

Best regards
Andreas
https://www.fs-flightcontrol.com
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:37:52 pm by ab-tools »

sgallmann

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 12:56:46 pm »
Hi all, dear Virtuali,

another vote for implementing a kind of remote command interface.
Besides the "mouse and keyboard" simmers there is a growing community of home cockpit builders/users (as myself),
aiming for closest immersion and reality.
Apart from the wunderful features of GSX and L2, the only thing "distroying" the immersion is a poping menu on the P3D screen
to select the GSX actions via keyboard/mouse.
With a (simply UDP-based) network interface that routes the menu text entries to and the selections back from a remote app,
the community would be very happy to implement a (e.g. MCDU / CDU based) HMI interface to GSX.

Would be really great !

My five cents -

Stefan

Driver170

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 12:36:38 pm »
This would also be a massive improvement for me as i have a homecockpit. Realism would be greatly improved instead of it popping up on the main screen and using a keyboard / mouse