Author Topic: First GSX Preview for MSFS  (Read 47188 times)

airbumps

Re: First GSX Preview for MSFS
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2021, 06:00:53 am »
Hi Umburto,

Any chance of some new preview pics?

Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2021, 01:45:41 pm »
As explained in other threads/forums, the GSX code is basically done and working, but now we'll have to start the very long work of redoing ALL models and animations for MSFS, almost entirely from scratch, because for GSX it's worth it.

And, for this exact reason, we won't like to publish any images/videos unless we remodeled everything and not a single piece of the old graphic is in there.

This because, in the current age of social media, uninformed comments and 10-seconds attention span, I'm fairly sure if we showed something containing existing models/animations/textures, people will complain "it's still a P3D port" or "they still have the OMSI granny", or something like that.

Nimic

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2021, 09:24:48 pm »
Honestly, speaking on behalf of many simmers, we would be happy to see some progress. When you showed the push-back tug animation more than 1 year ago, I think that even the more demanding customer would have assumed that the MSFS version of GSX represent a huge step forward, with a complete usage of technologies and graphics enhancements that MSFS can provide.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 09:29:15 pm by Nimic »

swaluver88

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2021, 05:25:11 pm »
Im honestly have to agree with Umberto on this one,

If i was a developer and was redoing a whole product, i wouldnt want to show the old models and textures of it.

PMDG hasnt showed any of their MSFS projects other than the NG3 because theyve done the mapping and retexturing, etc. RSR would never show a product unless its ready to be shown. Its the same situation here FSDT isnt ready to show GSX because of remodeling and texturing, but they are keeping you inform how it is coming along. hopefully by end of march or beginning of summer we get previews or even a release of gsx because I myself personally cant stand the default ground services.
swavirtual.com member. Pilot id: SWA5931

Kai-Uwe

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2021, 08:54:30 pm »
"because I myself personally cant stand the default ground services."

Of course you are totally right, but: default in MSFS is much much better then it was in other flightsims we have. So waiting for GSX is not so painful as it was in former times where shift+p the only method you had.

SpeedDemon77

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2022, 09:59:32 pm »
Since the completion of the 10th-anniversary update for P3D. I was wondering if we could get a status update for GSX in MSFS. I know a lot of the community is quite eager to hear anything with the A320 and 737 on the horizon, maybe even the ini A310. We would love to hear anything from you. Thanks!

Nimic

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2022, 11:44:08 am »
This is a recent statement from Umberto about the progression of GSX for MSFS. So I guess we will not see it in 2022 (and probably neither in the next year) unless Asobo will improve the SDK in the way FSdreamteam needs in order to make GSX working properly in MSFS. Very sad, but that's it.

hi Umberto, did you got any update from Asobo about the menu implementation inside MSFS?

Yes, and it's not very good news, since they said they have no plans to restore that missing functionality from FSX, not at least the way it was in FSX/P3D, with a specific Simconnect call that made the menu appear programmatically.

That's unfortunate, but there are ways to overcome it, either using the new HTML/JS method like several other addons in the tool bar use or, in the worse case, using a custom menu that works by placing an extra window on top of the screen, which is also used by many other add-ons.

The first method is better, because it would work in VR and it's more integrated in the sim, but the biggest problem with it is that is completely undocumented so, every knowledge of it is based on looking at the source code of the default menus AND there have been several breaking changes between updates (it was undocumented, so Asobo didn't feel bound to any kind of backward compatibility), which resulted in many "toolbar addons" stop working, especially after SU5. It has been officially confirmed that documentation work on HTML/JS HAS now started, so we think this will be the route we'll use.

Another issue we still have with the SDK, is another missing feature from Simconnect that always worked since FSX and it's not working in MSFS, is the ability to temporarily block keyboard/mouse/joystick events from reaching the sim, which is required for all things in the GSX editor ( airplane or scenery customization editor or the Quick Pushback ). In previous versions of the SDK, it was documented to be working but, after our report about not really working, they said they don't like the fact an add-on could "steal" keypressess or joystick buttons from the sim, so they changed the documentation recently, removing the feature ( and managed to add a bug in the *documentation* itself too! ) and they wanted to introduced a completely new method to do the same thing in a more reliable way.

Lack of such feature is not affecting GSX only.

Take for example a feature available in some of the best airplane add-ons out there: the ability to momentarily "steal" the PC keyboard to use it as an input for the MCDU, so you can just type something instead of having to click on the buttons. This can't be done right now, because it would require to prevent the sim from getting the keyboard events for as long the "keyboard input" mode is active in the airplane. While reverting to mouse only and VC events might not be a huge loss for a typical MCDU, latest-gen airplanes like the A380 or the A350, which have a FULL SIZE real keyboard as one of their standard input methods, they could benefit a lot from this feature.

So, clearly, something should be done to allow this, and that's was the last we heard from Asobo, they would like to redesign the whole system, to allow add-ons to do that without risking having multiple add-ons stealing events at the same time, causing problems.

So, these are the two main issues we are still missing from the SDK, with the 2nd one being the worse, since Asobo hasn't provided with any kind of ETA for the "new way" to "steal keys", only a generic intention to fix the problem.

But it's not as if we could release GSX tomorrow, if those features would magically appear today. We think a proper GSX for MSFS should feature proper MSFS models with proper MSFS textures, new animations using all MSFS features and proper LOD optimization, and these will take some time, while we wait for the SDK to get where we need to.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 11:45:46 am by Nimic »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2022, 03:09:02 pm »
This is a recent statement from Umberto about the progression of GSX for MSFS. So I guess we will not see it in 2022 (and probably neither in the next year) unless Asobo will improve the SDK in the way FSdreamteam needs in order to make GSX working properly in MSFS. Very sad, but that's it.

There has been some progress in the meantime. Yes, the SDK is still lacking, and it will take a while before we could release GSX but, we found ways to overcome some of the limitations so, we hope to show something soon.

Just to say, development has not stopped, but it's still a lot of work but, in this case, it's more remodeling, retexturing a reanimating things that started to look too old for MSFS, like passengers for example. We don't need anything from the SDK in that area, we only need time to do the hard work.