Author Topic: AI traffic behaving wrong for 31L  (Read 3874 times)

dmatthieu2

AI traffic behaving wrong for 31L
« on: July 15, 2020, 02:59:56 am »
Not sure if anyone has experienced this, but I'm running UTLive and the AI traffic behaves weird, but only for RWY 31L. The traffic takeoff from taxi Alpha/Bravo to 31L at the very beginning of the RWY 31L (runway markings), yet the incoming AI lands on the displaced threshold of the runway (extra room behind 31L markings) and not the authorized touchdown area on the runway.

Is the ILS/DME off for this runway? I only noticed it yesterday, and did some random testing forcing the AI to land at different runways customizing weather. It seems RWY 31L is the only culprit. I double checked to see if I had any other possible JFK AFCADs that maybe affecting it, but I don't (unless it's the native AFCAD?). But in real life takeoffs on 31L can be taxi A > JB >31L, or A > JA >31L,  or A > Z > 31L (very end of 31L), and landings normal ILS/DME at beginning markings of any runway.

Anyone has the same issue and/or knows a fix for this? 

I'm going to post the same thing in UTL forum's but I'm curious if anyone was experiencing the same. Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: AI traffic behaving wrong for 31L
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:59:42 am »
I can see the ILS on 31L just fine in the AFCAD that comes with JFK. How you checked it  doesn't work ? With an airplane ?

dmatthieu2

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 07:48:35 am »
Okay fair question. And I tested that too. I just completed a touch and go twice with a QW 787-8.

1st approach 31L... APP engaged....the ILS detected, aligned the aircraft, the glide slope detected BUT didn't work when the it went below 0 marker on the HUD display. I had to go manual to descent quickly to catch up to the glide slope. PAPI works fine and landed in the authorized touchdown zone of 31L. Full throttle and up for a 2nd go-around.

2nd approach 31L...APP engaged....ILS detected, aligned aircraft, and again glide slope detected but did not force the nose of the aircraft to descend by disengaging the altitude hold from 3000'. Manual landing. Touchdown and then full throttle going around for final landing.

3rd approach ...Requested ATC vectors for full stop landing on RWY 22L. APP engaged....ILS aligned aircraft, glide slope detected, and behold the nose of the aircraft started to descend on it's own riding the glide slope and disengaged the altitude hold automatically.

so that's an additional issue I noticed with 31L with an aircraft.

On top of :
1. AI aircraft is landing short of RWY 31L authorized landing zones. Now noticed the same thing for 13R
2. AI aircraft is taking off from A>KE and not from A>Z onto RWY 31L as all aircraft would normally do in real life. Works perfect for 13R at PF

Test it and let me know please. I'd like to know if this is bug in the AFCAD
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:51:02 am by dmatthieu2 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 09:23:08 am »
2. AI aircraft is taking off from A>KE and not from A>Z onto RWY 31L as all aircraft would normally do in real life. Works perfect for 13R at PF

Test it and let me know please. I'd like to know if this is bug in the AFCAD

The AFCAD is surely correct. In fact, at least from a formal point of view, I'd say 31L looks even more correct than 13L, see the following screenshot:

First, the Glideslope is in its real world position, parallel to the touch down zone markings, and it's a standard 3.0 deg path. Localizer is located at the opposite end of the runway, as usual so, everything related to the ILS is surely correct in the AFCAD.

About AI, you can see the displaced threshold area is drawn in green in ADE, which means is not part of the runway, and this is precisely to prevent AI to land on the displaced threshold.

However, if you wanted to have AI taking off from the displaced threshold, coming from taxi Z, this would conflict with the above so, if we set the whole runway as a black ( runway ) link, AI would depart from Z, but they might also land there.