Author Topic: Mesh Problem  (Read 21676 times)

mtbrkhrd

Mesh Problem
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:40:56 pm »
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a problem caused by the FSDT scenery as I see this with the default scenery too. But since there are a lot of people here flying into and out of KLAS I though I'd ask.

I'm using FSGlobal 2010, and my airport looks like this:

I've searched through the forum but found similar problems only to occur in FS9. So does anyone have a workaround for FSX? Maybe there's a file I could delete within FSGlobal 2010 so I get the default terrain back in this area, as that one does not have this problem.
Anyone else seeing the same when using KLAS with the latest FSGlobal in FSX? I've tried the FSGenesis V2 as well, same problem there!

So any high-res mesh user here having a solution for this?

Best regards,
Markus

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Mesh Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:58:45 pm »
I'm not sure if this is a problem caused by the FSDT scenery as I see this with the default scenery too.

Yes, of course you'll see it with any airport, even the default one. Since FS9/FSX do not really support sloped runways, the airport is set to the official published elevation all across its surface. So, if in the real world the terrain is sloped, you will always see such effect, if you are using a mesh that hasn't been pre-processed to take this into account.

The Microsoft mesh HAS been pre-processed like this: they smoothed the mesh in order to match an airport that is assumed to be entirely flat and set at the correct published elevation.

If a 3rd party mesh hasn't undergone this treatment, there will always be a problem, with any airport, even default, which is more visible if the real world terrain is sloping.

I thought that FS Global 2010 included a tool that you could use to fix this, have you tried it ?

Also, have you tried using the FS9 (found the forum) fix in FSX ? It might just work.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:00:42 pm by virtuali »

mtbrkhrd

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:06:48 pm »
Umberto,

thanks for the hint about a tool, I'll see if I can find this to correct!

I do know about the issue with sloped terrain for airports. However if an airport is above the terrain on all sides and not just at one side, then the slope is not really the issue. And here the airport is off the ground on all sides.

Markus

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:13:11 pm »
I do know about the issue with sloped terrain for airports. However if an airport is above the terrain on all sides and not just at one side, then the slope is not really the issue. And here the airport is off the ground on all sides.

Not really. First, at KLAS you don't have exactly the same elevation difference between at all sides. Yes, you have a problem on all sides, but it's not exactly the same, it's worse on one side, because of the slope.

But the slope is not the only issue, it's just the most common one. The other issue, is that *every* dataset any mesh is based on, has some kind of inherent vertical error and, if you combine this with the sloping terrain, it's easy to come up with such problem at airports IF the mesh hasn't been pre-processed, like the default one has.

In any case, it's very easy to check if the airport has a problem or not, by verifying its altitude in the AFCAD file. KLAS AFCAD, ( AP_KLAS.BGL ), has the altitude set at 2181 ft, which is exactly the same of the officially surveyed altitude for KLAS:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLAS

And so is the default KLAS. This means, both are correct, and it's the mesh that needs a fix.

mtbrkhrd

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:32:54 pm »
Umberto,

thanks again. You're right, there is indeed a slope present, figured that out when doing further checks.
Changing the airport elevation using the tool that is included with FSG2010 is not working, all this does is changing the AFCAD file's airport altitude. And as you know this doesn't fix this problem.
Also the FS9 fix mentioned in another thread doesn't work, it looks a bit better but I'm still getting severe terrain shifts when overflying the ground on approach, in other words the terrain changes it's shape right before my eyes while I move (fly) forward.

So yeah either FSGlobal 2010 needs a fix for this... OR... someone can tell me which FSGlobal mesh file is in use around KLAS, I guess I could delete that to get the default terrain back around the airport.

Markus

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:47:55 pm »
Also the FS9 fix mentioned in another thread doesn't work, it looks a bit better but I'm still getting severe terrain shifts when overflying the ground on approach, in other words the terrain changes it's shape right before my eyes while I move (fly) forward.

This might happening because that fix has been designed to work with meshes at lower resolution than FS Global 2010. The most common meshes were usually the SRTM ( source at 90 mt, resampled to 76 mt in FSX ) or the NED ( source at 30 mt, resampled at 38 mt in FSX ), but since FS Global uses a 9 mt mesh for the South West USA, the flattening should be probably different.

Alessandro

• Global Moderator
  • FSdreamteam developer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 12:45:17 am »
Hi,
Next week I try to create a Custom mesh  oversampled at 5 m/pixel with custom slope.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:47:56 am by Alessandro »

mtbrkhrd

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 02:38:05 am »
Hi,
Next week I try to create a Custom mesh  oversampled at 5 m/pixel with custom slope.
This is great news! If you need me to test that mesh for you, please let me know!

Markus

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 01:06:22 pm »

So, the "Mesh War" will start...

Let's hope FS Global 2011 will not come with a 5m mesh, otherwise we'll have to fight back with a 2.5 m one...

Alessandro

• Global Moderator
  • FSdreamteam developer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 12:35:55 pm »
Hi to all,

Please replace the original files on Klas scenery with this one (backup your original file first), the mesh is oversampled at 4M/pixel, rember to put Klas scenery above the mesh scenery on FSX library.

Regards.

mtbrkhrd

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 09:40:02 pm »
Alessandro,

almost there, thanks! There's just one "thing" remaining:

Other than that all seems to be fine! Can you iron that one out?

Best regards,
Markus

Alessandro

• Global Moderator
  • FSdreamteam developer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 11:05:19 pm »
Please try to disable the mesh scenery and report if this problem is present, on my pc (without globalmesh) this problem is not present.

Alessandro.

mtbrkhrd

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 12:36:56 am »
Please try to disable the mesh scenery and report if this problem is present, on my pc (without globalmesh) this problem is not present.
Alessandro,

I don't quite understand? You want me to disable FSGlobal 2010 scenery? But the whole point of your mesh fix was to make the scenery compatible with FSGlobal, wasn't it? Because the default terrain looks just fine and doesn't need your mesh fix. So yes if I deactivate my mesh scenery all is fine, but then I wouldn't need your fix? I'm confused  ???

Markus

Alessandro

• Global Moderator
  • FSdreamteam developer
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:29:06 pm »
Is only a test to troubleshooting the problem.  ;)

mtbrkhrd

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 01:15:52 am »
Right! Of course... sorry :)

When deactivating the mesh scenery (FSGlobal) but leaving your fix in place then I STILL DO get that anomaly. So that leaves the question why do I see this under the same conditions when you don't. So you see this too when your FSGlobal is active?
I don't have any other mesh scenery for that area. Just FSGlobal 2010, your scenery and your fix.

Regards,
Markus