Author Topic: GSX not reading the right bgl **SOLVED**  (Read 3349 times)

couger

GSX not reading the right bgl **SOLVED**
« on: July 15, 2020, 12:37:22 pm »
Hi there.  I’ve recently re installed all my p3d4 and add ons.  Everything is running fine except for gsx and a couple of add on airports.  GSX is reading the default bgl file for them and p3d plus all my other software like proatcx is reading the add on bgl file.   The add on file I know works fine because I used to have it working fine before I did the re install. 

The only thing I could think of is that the bgl add ons I put in an addon scenery folder witch is outside of the p3d folder.  Is this a problem and is there a way I can get gsx to read the external addon scenery folder.   

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:18:08 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not reading the right bgl.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:55:13 am »
GSX doens't have any problems reading AFCAD files anywhere in your system. Since you don't say which add-ons you are referring to, and where ( exactly ) they are located, is not possible to say more.

couger

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 06:44:53 am »
I’m not saying it has a problem reading the file.  I’m saying it’s not reading the right one.   
The file I’m talk)ng about is nzaa.  It’s a bgl file I got from flyawaysim.com.  By ray ?someone.  I can’t remember all details.  But I have put these files in the addon scenery folder witch I put in c/program files/Lockheed Martin/addon scenery/scenery
The readme.txt file mentions to put this folder outside of the p3d folder.   Is this the problem?  I don’t know.
The addon scenery folder is activated in p3d scenery page and I have made it highest on the list.   Previously before I re installed everything this scenery worked fine with gsx.   

I’m running win1064b p3d4.5. 
Asp3d
Pro atc x
PTA
Orbx global/vector
GSX level 2
Pmdg 737/747/777

Let me know if you needs Sony pmore info.   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 09:29:02 am »
I’m not saying it has a problem reading the file.  I’m saying it’s not reading the right one.   

You seems to assume GSX couldn't read the file because it was not in the same drive/folder as the sim, that's why I replied with "GSX doens't have any problems reading AFCAD files anywhere in your system". The important bit was the "anywhere in your system" here.

The readme.txt file mentions to put this folder outside of the p3d folder.   Is this the problem?  I don’t know.

Why you keep suggesting this, even after I already confirmed it's not a problem. All our sceneries are installed outside the simulator so no, that's not the problem.

The addon scenery folder is activated in p3d scenery page and I have made it highest on the list.   Previously before I re installed everything this scenery worked fine with gsx. 

Could be this file is larger than the default 2MB threshold for a file to be possibly considered an AFCAD ? So, in the past, you set the airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.INI file to an higher value, and forgot about it ?

couger

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 09:41:10 am »
I doubt I have changed that file from 2mb.  I wouldn’t even know how to do that.  The only reason I mention the folder outside the sim folder is because that’s the only thing I have done different from the last install.   If that’s not it then so be it.  I’m looking for answers why this might happen.  And you just keep asking me why I think it’s the folder location.  I don’t think it is.  It was just a thought. 
So can you please tell me what reasons might be causing this issue.  The bgl file is 3.2mb.  But I know I never edited any ini file on my last install.  So why would it work then and not now. 

Can you please just give me some ideas to try to fix this issue as I use nzaa a lot. Like I said if you need any info let me know what you need and I’ll get it for you.

couger

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 04:10:19 am »
So. I’m I going to get a reply here at all.  This is a support page isn’t it. 

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 04:31:37 am »
Yes, but looking at the calendar, it's still Sunday, and yesterday was Saturday. It is also now 04:31 AM in Switzerland.
Captain Kevin

couger

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 04:39:16 am »
Ok.  I did not know that this site in Switzerland.  Thanks for reply.  I will wait a bit longer.   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 10:55:16 pm »

You already got your answer and, of course, my guess was CORRECT. See my previous reply:

Could be this file is larger than the default 2MB threshold for a file to be possibly considered an AFCAD ?

And, according to your own report, IT IS:

The bgl file is 3.2mb.

But I know I never edited any ini file on my last install.  So why would it work then and not now.

Regardless of what you think you know or you remember, as I've said, GSX BY DEFAULT, excludes all files larger than 2MB, UNLESS you edit the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.INI  file and add the airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes parameter to an higher value. It has been like this since GSX came out so yes, if the file was always that big, you DID edit the Couatl.INI file and forget about it.

If the file is not there, you must create it, and add this line:

airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes = 4000000

This will allow .BGL files up to 4MB to be used

couger

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 05:14:57 am »
Yes that seems to have worked.  But I don’t know what happened last time because I’ve never seen that file before.   I know I never altered it before.   Who knows.  Doesn’t matter now anyway.   

Thanks for your help.