Author Topic: Couatl not running  (Read 3891 times)

mulgrave

Couatl not running
« on: July 06, 2020, 12:22:28 pm »
I am using P3D5 HF2, GSX2

couatl does not start in P3D5. I don't get GSX2/Couatl in P3D menu.
- Yesterday, I reinstalled GSX 2 and of course Live update. Couatl started and GSX2 was in the menu.
- Today started p3D5, no GSX/or Couatl in the menu.

McAfee Antivirus / windows defender not running.

any advice?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl not running
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 06:50:08 pm »
- Configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder from scanning.

- Run the FSDT Live Update again

- If that doesn't work, restart Windows

mulgrave

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 07:07:02 pm »
Thanks
I have couatl excluded so I will exclude the whole folder.
However, my antivirus and win defender are always turned off.

I keep reinstalling GSX2, it does run at first P3D5 start then the next restart of P3D5 , nothing in the menu.

Anyway, I will exclude the addon manager and revert

mulgrave

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 07:32:30 pm »
Hi

did not work.
For GSX2  to work, I need to reinstall it before each P3D5 start. Then after few 1 or 2 p3d starts, it stops again.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 11:51:11 pm »
For GSX2  to work, I need to reinstall it before each P3D5 start.

This seems to indicates some other software ( another add-on, but not necessarily so ), is setting wrong a compatibility value to the sim in the registry which should not be applied, which our installer resets to the default, so you think you must reinstall GSX, only because it undo the mess this other software did, and reset something as it should.

Sometimes, Windows itself set a wrong compatibility option, just because the simulator crashed ( for any reason ), so it sets a wrong compatibility value which will PREVENT our software to work ( which works with all default, no need to set any compatibility option ), and our  installer resets.

Then after few 1 or 2 p3d starts, it stops again.

This looks like as if you haven't waited enough after the simulator closed to start it again. Yes, even if the P3D Icon has disappeared, depending how many add-ons you have loaded, how free memory you have, it might take a while even well *after* the icon has disappeared for the sim to be really safe to be reopened again.

If you want to have a feel how much you should wait on your system, open the GSX Control Panel when the simulator is running, and note how much it takes for the "Compile" button to become available after you close the simulator. That's when it's really safe to restart the sim again. Try the same test using this method.

mulgrave

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 04:53:15 pm »
Thanks

What I meant is after reinstalling gsx2, I start P3D5 in the normal way.
I start a flight , GSX2 is Ok and appear in the P3D menu. After the flight ( 1 or 2 it depends ). I stop P3d5 by clicking on the exit button.

If I use my computer the same day or another day ( Turned off from last flight), I start p3D5 , select plane and airport, everything load normally. However , when I go to addon in P3D5 menu to use the GSX2, GSX2 is not there.

All other addons are there except GSX2. So I exit p3D5, remove GSX2 via windows uninstall, reinstall GSX2,  live update is run automatically.

restart P3D5, go to addons menu, GSX2 is there.

I don't have problem with other addons such as FSUIPc, FS2crew UGCX, Utlive, RAAS, etc.. they are start at each P3D5 start.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 11:44:58 pm »
All other addons are there except GSX2. So I exit p3D5, remove GSX2 via windows uninstall, reinstall GSX2,  live update is run automatically.

This is surely entirely unnecessary. I'm fairly sure what is fixing the problem is the FSDT Live Update, which is also resetting some wrong registry entries either mistakenly set by another add-on, or by Windows itself, sometimes just because the sim crashed.

So, next time it happens, try doing JUST the FSDT Live Update, don't reinstall anything.

mulgrave

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 04:31:57 pm »
Hi Alberto

thanks for your help.
However, the sim is not crashing at all. It just couatl is not working and GSX2 is not appearing in the P3D5 menu.

You are right Live update restart couatl when it is run and it is a quick solution But this is not suppose to be run every time before starting P3D5.

Do you have any other suggestion ?

thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 11:15:07 am »
You are right Live update restart couatl when it is run and it is a quick solution But this is not suppose to be run every time before starting P3D5.

There's not much we can do if another add-on is forcing the sim in a wrong compatibility setting, or another add-on is making the sim crash, so Windows itself is setting a wrong compatibility mode that shouldn't be used.

Couatl and GSX runs perfectly and are designed and tested to run with DEFAULT compatibility settings, that's what the FSDT Live Update does: it restores the compatibility settings in the registry for P3D to go back to default as installed, precisely for the reason to defend itself against other add-ons messing with something they shouldn't.

Something you might try, is to disable every other add-on, and see if you are still required to run the updater each time.

mulgrave

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 02:54:18 pm »
HI

I did what you said.
NO success.

I still need to reinstall GSX2 before starting P3D5.

I gave up