Author Topic: Issue with using mouse to place vehicles  (Read 4629 times)

airbadger

Issue with using mouse to place vehicles
« on: June 21, 2020, 02:41:24 pm »
The ability to click to move vehicles around is great, but it's always been finicky. Lately, it's barely been working--you click somewhere on the ground and nothing happens. Anyone else seeing this?

renzomarcus

Re: Issue with using mouse to place vehicles
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 08:38:27 pm »
YES! I thought it was just me, it seemed to be happening just when I bought a new mouse... So I blamed that. But I don't have any issues anywhere else, only in GSX do I often need to click multiple times to place the object.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 02:16:24 pm »
You don't say which simulator you use. Assuming you use P3D V5, it's best if you disable the advanced mouse controls, in the mouse settings.

airbadger

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 03:25:42 pm »
You don't say which simulator you use. Assuming you use P3D V5, it's best if you disable the advanced mouse controls, in the mouse settings.

I see the issue in both sims. In v5 advanced mouse controls are disabled.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 03:28:12 pm »
I don't have any issues in either sim. This can be *possibly* caused by an interaction with other addons that might also use custom mouse handling.

And, when I use the mouse, I generally work in Top-down view because, in other views, depending on the angle, the standard routine from the SDK we call to convert mouse in Lat/Lon, might work less reliably, and can also be affected by other objects.

renzomarcus

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 07:50:16 pm »
I don't have any issues in either sim. This can be *possibly* caused by an interaction with other addons that might also use custom mouse handling.

And, when I use the mouse, I generally work in Top-down view because, in other views, depending on the angle, the standard routine from the SDK we call to convert mouse in Lat/Lon, might work less reliably, and can also be affected by other objects.

I only own P3dv4.5 (for now HF2 still) and have the issue.
I mostly configure when the FSLabs is loaded, however this issue is new and has worked perfectly before I think your last update.
I can also confirm the exact same issue occurs in topdown view.

airbadger

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 11:38:32 pm »
Top-down view does seem to improve it (even just panning all the way up in outside view helps a bit), though it's still not 100%

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 10:40:37 am »
I mostly configure when the FSLabs is loaded, however this issue is new and has worked perfectly before I think your last update.

As I've said, nothing on our recent update can possibly have any effect on this, since we haven't changed anything related to mouse handling, or even the editor, since many months.

What is your frame rate in the editor ? In general, it's always best NOT to use a 3rd party aircraft heavy on frame rate, because the mouse is read at the fps rate ( it cannot be any different, of course ) so, the lower your fps, the less precise the mouse click detection might be.

There's no reason whatsoever to use a certain airplane model to customize a parking, just because you think you'll use that model in regular use. The way GSX works, makes entirely irrelevant which airplane use when customizing so, as long as you use a *similar* model ( like a default A321 ), for the only reason to give YOU some visual reference, it will be fine, and with an higher fps, the whole editor will also be much faster and easier to use, because even movement with keys and rotations are tied to the frame rate.

Whem we do our GSX customizations, we always use the default A321 from FSX on most gates, the default 747 on heavy gates, and the default CRJ for small/regional gates. This way, the fps is much higher ( usually in the 50-60s ), and the editor is way easier and faster.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:48:03 am by virtuali »

renzomarcus

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 03:30:07 pm »
Hi, I'm afraid I'll have to bust one of your theories, as I experience this with an average of 60fps. I'm sure this is plenty?
There must be some other underlying reason here.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 05:53:12 pm »
Hi, I'm afraid I'll have to bust one of your theories, as I experience this with an average of 60fps. I'm sure this is plenty?

That the movement and rotation speed IS influenced by the fps it's a fact, no a "theory", which you can obviously verify yourself, by capping the fps in the sim to, let's say, 10 fps, and see how much more slow moving and rotating objects it.

Which is why I said to try with a default airplane, to exclude some kind of conflict with it.

renzomarcus

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 05:17:52 pm »

That the movement and rotation speed IS influenced by the fps it's a fact, no a "theory", which you can obviously verify yourself, by capping the fps in the sim to, let's say, 10 fps, and see how much more slow moving and rotating objects it.

Which is why I said to try with a default airplane, to exclude some kind of conflict with it.

Right, so I did not have much time to do further testing lately, but now tried with the default A321, at a solid and steady 40fps (limited for temperature reasons) but I have to click 10+ times before anything moves in the GSX customisation mode. Please shed some light on this as it is pretty much unusable at this point.

EDIT: I am now fully migrated to P3Dv5

renzomarcus

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 01:14:33 pm »
Please provide an update on this.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 10:18:01 pm »

Not sure what to reply: it works just fine here, many 1 out of 10 clicks is not recognized. In any case, the function that converts mouse clicks into scenery coordinates is provided by the P3D SDK, it's possible sometimes is not always reliable, depending also in your view angle, the lower it is, the easier is for that routine to fail. I usually do most of my customizations in top-down view.

renzomarcus

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 07:59:02 pm »

Not sure what to reply: it works just fine here, many 1 out of 10 clicks is not recognized. In any case, the function that converts mouse clicks into scenery coordinates is provided by the P3D SDK, it's possible sometimes is not always reliable, depending also in your view angle, the lower it is, the easier is for that routine to fail. I usually do most of my customizations in top-down view.

Bit of a shame really, as it is really impeding with my experience of GSX. There's two in this thread, I can imagine there's more people but they do not feel the need to report it.
It's not just 1 in 10 clicks, it's every single time I need to do 10 clicks or more before I get one that's registered. Top down or not does not help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 11:09:16 pm »
Bit of a shame really, as it is really impeding with my experience of GSX. There's two in this thread, I can imagine there's more people but they do not feel the need to report it. It's not just 1 in 10 clicks, it's every single time I need to do 10 clicks or more before I get one that's registered. Top down or not does not help.

I'm sorry but, as I've said, I cannot possibly replicate your issue, and nobody ever reported it as well.

The only thing that comes in mind is you might have some other add-on that is interfering with the mouse handling, possibly something that is stealing the focus from the main window, keeping *itself* in the foreground, which is a very questionable practice ( imagine if every add-on did the same ). Of course, when the sim main window goes out of focus, it won't process mouse messages anymore.