Author Topic: FSX Crosswind Runways for KORD?  (Read 15168 times)

ESzczesniak

FSX Crosswind Runways for KORD?
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:12:03 am »
I've looked through the forums here and have found a number of AFCAD's for the runways at ORD (mostly for FSX).  What I haven't been able to find and thought I've seen before here is a crosswind AFCAD with all runways open.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'm looking for FSX, but wouldn't mind being pointed towards a FS9 file as well.  Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX Crosswind Runways for KORD?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 11:41:13 am »
The AFCAD that comes with the scenery has crosswind runways already, since June 2008.

Us Airways B757

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:59:22 pm »
Umberto,

I have recently downloaded the package from Fsdt many times and have installed it over and over within the past few days, but I was never able to get an AFCAD for ORD that has crosswind runways enabled.  I have no clue if it is on my end or Fsdt's.  I have been a customer since July of 09 and the only way I could get crosswind runways was through the AFCAD's that were posted by other members, but has now been removed.

Thank you very much,

Us 75
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:03:02 pm by Us Airways B757 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:02:04 am »
As I've said, the AFCAD that comes with O'Hare has crosswind runways and is basically the same to that one that was posted on the forum.

You can verify this yourself, by opening the file with an AFCAD editor ( under FSX, use the free ADE ), and check if there are multiple dummy runways in addition to the standard runways, arranged in the "star pattern", which is how crosswind runways are enabled.

Us Airways B757

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:00:50 pm »
Umberto,

I have used the editor and I do see what you are talking about, however, this doesn't change the fact that I still do not have crosswind runways.  When I used the editor, I noticed through Jim Vile's crosswind tutorial that the dummy runways were not set up in the similar sequencing that he had explained in the tutorial.  The ORD AFCAD has the dummy runways after all the actual runways and the tutorial states that you should have the runways in numerical order for the crosswinds to work.

I don't really want to cause trouble here, but I am just trying to get the best use of this magnificent scenery.

Thank you very much for you time,

Us 75

P.S. here is the tutorial I used: http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/filemanager/navega.php?PHPSESSID=54f9bb578aaf18b9a36cb3aed87ed58a&dir=.%2FTutorials%2FAirport%20Design
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:02:36 pm by Us Airways B757 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:16:49 pm »
The ORD AFCAD has the dummy runways after all the actual runways and the tutorial states that you should have the runways in numerical order for the crosswinds to work.

Well, not exactly in numerical order. The runway id doesn't count, what matters is the runway heading, the runway should be arranged by heading value.

You can fix it yourself, by sorting the runway list in ADE, by heading, than save the file and compile it back. Check the output .BGL filename, because you don't want to end with a duplicate .BGL so, either save it with the same name of the one that comes with KORD, or save it as ADE suggests, and remove the original .BGL

Us Airways B757

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:01:33 pm »
Ok, I was able to edit the AFCAD and get crosswind runways to work, however, now FS is recognizing them as visual runways and not ones with an ILS.  Umberto, do you know what I may have done wrong?

Thanks,

Us 75

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:28:27 pm »
Try to edit their coordinates to a very far place, like -80S, -80W

Us Airways B757

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:54:33 pm »
All of the runways are already set to -87 from your default AFCAD

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 10:24:36 am »
Please, confirm that the runways that you see as visual, are the dummy ones used for the crosswind system. If they are put to a very far location, they shouldn't appear in the ATC window. Also, check they are all closed, and the last runway in the list is a real runway, not a dummy one.

jbodenh2

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 10:26:18 pm »
When I use ADE to list my runways by heading, I do so, but I don't know where to go from here. I go to "Lists" and then 'runways" and click the heading button. Then, when I press exit, I noticed the runways are once again, out of order, based on their heading. Can anyone give me a step-by-step process as to how I should do this to get Crosswind runways for ORD?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 11:06:00 pm »
Try using drag and drop to manually sort runways by heading, instead of use the automatic sort feature, then compile the airport.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:08:13 pm by virtuali »

jbodenh2

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 12:05:47 am »
I inserted the .bgl afcad into my FSDreamTEam ORD scenery folder and erased the last one, but nothing changed. Did I do this incorrectly? Are there any other alternatives?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 12:37:39 pm »
I inserted the .bgl afcad into my FSDreamTEam ORD scenery folder and erased the last one, but nothing changed. Did I do this incorrectly? Are there any other alternatives?

There's nothing else to do, other than inserting it in the scenery folder and overwrite the existing ones. It's just strange that nothing changed, we don't know any other alternatives to create crosswind runways: they should work.

Please, keep in mind that the usage of crosswind runways is not something that is officially supported in Flight sim. It's more like an hack, that's why we prefer not having them in the default AFCAD, and rather left its implementation to user's modifications or in any case optional and not supported files. The scenery has never be advertised to come with crosswind runways, we don't test it in any case so, their lack can't be considered a bug of the scenery, buy just a design decision.

Try the attached file here: I've put exactly the same parameters for dummy runways from the file Harpsi made for FS9 version, which is known to work.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:06:15 pm by virtuali »

Us Airways B757

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 08:46:53 pm »
Umberto,

Thank you very much for the AFCAD, it will make lots of simmers happy I'm sure.

Regards,

Us 75.