Author Topic: Possible bug in the addon manager?  (Read 5013 times)

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Possible bug in the addon manager?
« on: November 29, 2009, 10:00:10 pm »
I purchased Bergen via the web store, and found the "Register Serial Number" option to cause FS9 to go unresponsive. Got it to register via the "Reinstall" option, but I probably used a second activation by going that route.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Possible bug in the addon manager?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:22:10 pm »
Works perfectly here. It's obviously one of the most tested options.

Of course, the usual suggestion is: as explained in the manual, are you trying to use it in Full Screen mode ? This is quite unreliable under FS9 (although it works fine here), depending on video drivers so, anything, like purchase or registration, is better doing it in Windowed mode.

The program has NOT crashed, it's just the registration dialog is behind the FS9 screen. In Windowed mode, this usually doesn't happen and if it does, it's very easy to notice it and bring it back on top.

Got it to register via the "Reinstall" option

This calls exactly the same routine than the "Register Serial", just it asks a couple of questions first, otherwise there's no difference whatsoever. So, it would have worked all the same, even if you simply tried to use "Register Serial" again.

but I probably used a second activation by going that route.

Have you changed your hardware between the two tries ???

I'm sorry for the silly question but, if you thought you consumed an activation, just because you launched the "Register Serial" option, I guess you haven't understood how activation works.

You can reinstall, register serials, uninstall, remove FS9, reinstall FS9, reinstall the scenery, an UNLIMITED number of times. Even if you manually remove your Serial Number from the registry, and try to activate it again, you will NOT lose an activation!

The only time you'll consume an activation, is if you CHANGE HARDWARE, or if you reformat Windows and install it on a new hard drive.

If you haven't done anything like that, you have not consumed any activations EVEN if the program went online to verify your purchase.

To be clearer: even ONLINE verification of a purchase can be made an UNLIMITED number of times as well, as long as the hardware doesn't change, no activations will be consumed.

And, once an online verification of the purchase has succeded, the activation information tied to your Serial Number will be stored in the registry as well so, the program will NEVER go online again EXCEPT if you change hardware.

Even if you manually remove your Serial Number from the registry, the activation information that was tied to it and cached in the registry, will allow to reactivate the scenery (if the hardware doesn't change) WITHOUT going online again.

And even if you manually remove BOTH your Serial Number from the registry AND the cached activation, the program *will* go online to retrieve another copy, but it will NOT consume another activation. Of course, if you haven't changed hardware in the meantime.

It's *really* difficult to consume activations...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:35:22 pm by virtuali »

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: Possible bug in the addon manager?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:49:48 pm »
Of course, the usual suggestion is: as explained in the manual, are you trying to use it in Full Screen mode?

Actually, yes... and having all the FSDT sceneries, I should know better by now.  Thanks.   :)
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock