Author Topic: Hand signal will be...  (Read 3538 times)

jgoggi

Hand signal will be...
« on: May 18, 2020, 09:43:57 am »
Hi,
Is it possible to have the marshaller say "hand signal will be on the left/right side"? In real life it is always said and with GSX I never know whether to look right or left to check for the hand signal.
Thank you!
James Goggi

jgoggi

Re: Hand signal will be...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:36:53 pm »
Umberto, any comment on this? Thank you.
James Goggi

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:55:20 pm »
It hadn't even been 8 hours since your initial post and your following post, not sure why you were expecting an instant response.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 12:46:49 pm »
As usual, everything is "possible" and we always read every comment and we always decide in which order new suggestion can be added in future versions.

jgoggi

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:14:56 pm »
Thanks Umberto. I think that is an important feature and, to be sincere, I wonder how it hasn't been present up to now...
James Goggi

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 03:19:34 am »
Thanks Umberto. I think that is an important feature and, to be sincere, I wonder how it hasn't been present up to now...
Probably because there's a lot of things that still aren't present that are being worked on. The ability for the tug to pull the plane, lavatory service, not sure what else off the top of my head.
Captain Kevin

jgoggi

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 05:14:52 pm »
Probably because there's a lot of things that still aren't present that are being worked on. The ability for the tug to pull the plane, lavatory service, not sure what else off the top of my head.

Nothing to do with hand signal, that is a standard phraseology always used during pushback and has well higher priority over what you described. Not having it is 100% unrealistic, even because you never know where the marshaller is at the end of the pushback... It was also used in Aerosoft AES.
James Goggi

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 03:51:31 am »
Nothing to do with hand signal, that is a standard phraseology always used during pushback and has well higher priority over what you described. Not having it is 100% unrealistic, even because you never know where the marshaller is at the end of the pushback... It was also used in Aerosoft AES.
I'm having a hard time taking you seriously when you think that everything you suggest has a higher priority over everything else and that they should just drop everything and work on what you suggest. GSX is under constant development, so did you ever consider the possibility that they either missed it or simply hadn't thought of it? There were certain aspects of the pushback that weren't realistic that eventually were corrected after suggestions from various people. Before, when you initiated the pushback, you would select which direction to push, then the tug would connect, and off you go. Several people brought up the issue that the tug is normally hooked up, so once pushback clearance is received, the push can start right away. The problem is that you might pick one direction, and the controller might issue a different direction, in which case you're screwed. Now, when you initiate the pushback, the tug connects, then waits for you to select the direction you want to push, so you can get a chance to get that from the controller. Once you get it from the controller, you select it in GSX, and off you go. That said, as with anything involving code, these things take time and are not as simple as they look.
Captain Kevin

jgoggi

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 10:18:20 pm »
Hi Umberto, any news about adding the "hand signal on the left/right" phraseology? It's a standard procedure always used in real life and its absence in GSX is highly unrealistic.
Thank you.
James Goggi

tcas_test

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 08:33:10 pm »
Hi mate, I’m a rampie here in Australia. Over the 6 airlines we handle that isn’t standard phraseology, the pin is always shown at the nose to both crew.
Phraseology is - cockpit ‘ 2 good starts, clear to disconnect.’
Ground - ‘copy, clear to disconnect, have a good one’
Stirlo

Hi Umberto, any news about adding the "hand signal on the left/right" phraseology? It's a standard procedure always used in real life and its absence in GSX is highly unrealistic.
Thank you.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 09:22:15 pm »
Hi mate, I’m a rampie here in Australia. Over the 6 airlines we handle that isn’t standard phraseology, the pin is always shown at the nose to both crew.
I guess it varies by where you are or by airline? 39:35 and 1:44:50, the Captain calls for the hand signal on the left side.

30:40 here, the Captain calls for the hand signal on the left side.

23:20 here, the Captain calls for the hand signal on the right side.

Captain Kevin

tcas_test

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 10:21:21 pm »
Exactly, it’s not something 100% of operators do. It seems to be a US/European thing.

Cheers,
Stirlo

I guess it varies by where you are or by airline? 39:35 and 1:44:50, the Captain calls for the hand signal on the left side.

30:40 here, the Captain calls for the hand signal on the left side.

23:20 here, the Captain calls for the hand signal on the right side.

normanblackburn

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 11:35:08 am »
Just because something is standard in what you observe, doesn't mean it's an industry standard.  Dependant on the 1000s of pushes I have done in the past I always elected to be on the safe (ramp) side so that I could move away safely rather than stand at the side of an active taxiway for example. 
Norman Blackburn