Author Topic: GSX won’t install **SOLVED**  (Read 12151 times)

willnosm

Re: GSX won’t install **SOLVED**
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2022, 01:08:36 pm »
Dear Kind sir,

bear in mind this is my first time installing GSX.

I make sure I had those md5 sum correct + run the program in administrator mode. it seem to install.

but opening up P3D, I don't see any indication of GSX menu or Anything GSX related in P3D addon menu ( I did see Addon Manager), Tried searching the forum, tried found shortkey Ctrl+J , Ctrl+F12 nothing happen.

Tried again to run FSDT Live Update and below the log:

Python 2.7.16 Stackless 3.1b3 060516 (default, Mar  9 2019, 21:32:11) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] wxPython 3.0.2.0
couatl v4.0 (build 4475)
log started on Fri Feb 18 12:03:44 2022

connecting to SimConnect...
connected to SimConnect
bglmanx non ready yet, waiting.
connected to bglmanx
View changed to Virtual Cockpit
View changed to Virtual Cockpit
Simulator version: 5 3 17 28160
Running in mode: Prepar3D v5 (bglmanx setting)
RunningMode::pathToInstalledPackages C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages
Loading addons
Loading addon common
Added Menu Item "Couatl settings" (id 68)
Addon common loaded
Loading addon LiveUpdate
Added Menu Item "Couatl Live Update" (id 70)
Added Menu SubItem "Disable" (parentId 70, id 71)
Addon LiveUpdate loaded
requesting AddOn list to bglmanx
Failed SHA256

my comment , it probe my MSFS addon folder while I am installing GSX for P3D ?

Did it install correctly ? how do I make sure ? what is the indication of correct installation in P3D (shortcut/menu/etc) ? please elaborate.

Thanks & BR

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 01:43:54 pm »
Did it install correctly ? how do I make sure ? what is the indication of correct installation in P3D (shortcut/menu/etc) ? please elaborate.

The issue in your log ( fact you have the old version and the "failed SHA256" error ), has been discussed in this very thread, and it's results from either your firewall or antivirus ( or both ) blocking the updater from getting the latest version of the executable.

If you followed this thread, many users with this issue confirmed it was fixed by using our new Universal Installer, which is linked on the HOME page of this site in the NEWS section.

Note that, excluding the whole Addon Manager folder from the antivirus is still strongly suggested, even when using the new installer.

willnosm

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2022, 02:46:40 pm »
Amazing support, correct deduction, Universal Installer fix the update issue.

then I congratulate you for getting my 32.88 EUR

Thanks & Enjoy your day.

brucewtb

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2022, 02:42:14 am »
I don't wish to drag this discussion out much further but what I found was that each time I ran the GSX installer it would download the 7 install files and I might get only 1 or 2 with matching checksums the rest don't match.  I immediately run it again and I get  different files with matching and not matching checksums.  So by repeating this a number of times I eventually got a set of clean files that enabled the GSX installation to proceed without error.  It all worked in the end but cost me 20 gigs of download quota but only 3 gig is useful. If my ISP is trying to reduce bandwidth costs in the way you describe then that may be an issue but what I am observing here doesn't quite seem to fit with that explanation.

Bruce
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 09:26:28 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2022, 09:46:59 am »
If my ISP is trying to reduce bandwidth costs in the way you describe then that may be an issue but what I am observing here doesn't quite seem to fit with that explanation.

Of course it's your ISP trying to save HIS bandwidth costs (and even putting you under a quota) by doing some local caching.

As usual, the issues are more complex that one might think. To make downloads even MORE reliable, not only we use Cloudflare, but we have TWO mirrors, and the installer will choose a different one at each start, that's called "load balancing".

Obviously, the original files on our mirrors are identical, and I'm fairly sure that now, after some days, Cloudflare has replicated all over the world but, if your ISP does some caching depending on some expiry time, they might have some files cached from a previous version coming from one mirror, but correct files coming from the other ones, because the expiry times won't match since the first downloads you triggered didn't happen at the same time. The mirrors are not treated equally, there's a primary one and a secondary one, and the secondary one is used only if the primary one has issues. That's why you think files are coming in different versions "at random".

Your continuing requests of downloading again and again, would just make the caching strategy to persist because, the whole point of caching is that, when a file is requested over and over in a short period of time, it's a prime candidate for caching. Instead, you only had to wait for the cache expiry time your ISP set to lapse, so it would have refreshed his local files automatically.

A way to defend yourself against bad ISP policies might be using a VPN.  That would skip over any caching your ISP might have in place, because with a VPN the communication is encrypted between you and the host you are downloading from, so your ISP cannot possibly know what you are downloading, hence cannot use any caching.

The whole point is, again, nobody should require to download the full installers so often and particularly not immediately after an update because the Live Update can update everything and the new one is exactly THE SAME ROUTINE ( it's the same code with a new interface ).

The one and only case in you might require a NEW installer, if it's a major version of the sim comes out so, for example, when P3D5 came out, an updated installer was required, because the previous one didn't recognize P3D5, but that's it. If  you just kept the first installer we ever released for P3D5, the Live Update would have brought you with full updates up to this version, and the next time you'll need to download the installer again, would be if a new major version would eventually came out, like P3D V6.

brucewtb

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2022, 12:19:30 am »
"Of course it's your ISP trying to save HIS bandwidth costs (and even putting you under a quota) by doing some local caching.

......if your ISP does some caching depending on some expiry time, they might have some files cached from a previous version coming from one mirror, but correct files coming from the other ones, because the expiry times won't match since the first downloads you triggered didn't happen at the same time. The mirrors are not treated equally, there's a primary one and a secondary one, and the secondary one is used only if the primary one has issues. That's why you think files are coming in different versions "at random".

A way to defend yourself against bad ISP policies might be using a VPN.  That would skip over any caching your ISP might have in place, because with a VPN the communication is encrypted between you and the host you are downloading from, so your ISP cannot possibly know what you are downloading, hence cannot use any caching."

Hmm your explanation may be correct and I will take it up with my ISP and see what they say.  I know they are trying to lower costs in other ways eg by reducing upload speeds.  However I am not sure what else I could have done on this occasion to get a clean set of files. I will reconsider a VPN but as I said previously the free ones have significant drawbacks.

Bruce