Author Topic: V5 KLAX blurry textures  (Read 2995 times)

JRBarrett

V5 KLAX blurry textures
« on: May 11, 2020, 08:40:08 pm »
I just installed KLAX into P3DV5 HF1. No problems with the install or re-registering with my key from V4. I also installed GSX. Ran Live Update before starting P3D. My previous flight had terminated at the south Cargo ramp, so that is where I started. I immediately noticed that the logo on the building in front of the aircraft is extremely blurry.

I slewed around the airport, and noted that the runway and taxiway textures, taxi signs, terminals and gates all looked pretty good considering this is an "older" FSDT scenery.

Maybe the logos on the cargo hangars have always been this way, I haven't been on this side of the airport recently.

I have a GTX1080Ti GPU, and all settings are reasonably high. I use a texture resolution of 2048. I'd prefer to not use 4096 if I can help it because of the effect on free VRAM in V5.

Jim Barrett

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: V5 KLAX blurry textures
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 11:43:38 am »
I use a texture resolution of 2048. I'd prefer to not use 4096 if I can help it because of the effect on free VRAM in V5.

That's why.

KLAX is 4k textures natively so, if you use any other setting in the sim, you will downgrade it from the resolution it was designed for.

It's like that because KLAX doesn't use 4K texture to get ultra-HD resolution. Instead, it uses them for performances, so the resolution is exactly the same as the scenery we made before it ( KDFW, which only used 1K textures ), but at the SAME visual resolution, it uses 16X LESS textures, which results in better performances, since one of the thing that affects fps the most is the number of *different* materials and textures changes in a given space.

Of course, we gave the main terminals more texture space which means, while the main terminal might still look good when reduced at 2K, the peripheral areas which were already treated differently on the original resolution, will likely look blurred when reduced.

In any case, unless you have insane graphic settings, you are not saving *that* much VRAM by switching to 2K, surely not enough to make a difference in risking a crash with an 11GB card. On my system, sitting at the same position in your screenshot, with the PMDG 747-F in the VC, I use 3.5 GB at 2K Texture size, and 3.8 GB at 4K.

JRBarrett

Re: V5 KLAX blurry textures
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 04:45:45 pm »
Yes, I did try switching to 4K, and it definitely improved the appearance of the hangar logos. I’ll try keeping resolution at 4096 going forward. As yet, I have come nowhere close to reaching the 9.2 GB VRAM limit my card provides in-game. I understand that the upcoming Windows 10 update will reserve less VRAM for the OS, providing even more for use in the sim.