Author Topic: FSDTLiveUpdate SSAA DISABLED in Error  (Read 5206 times)

downscc

FSDTLiveUpdate SSAA DISABLED in Error
« on: April 26, 2020, 08:02:06 pm »
In P3Dv4.5.14.34698 I have SSAAx2 applied, and confirmed in prepar3d.cfg that MSAA=0; and yet when I run FSDTLiveUpdate and it gets to the KORD files I always see a message, "SSAA is DISABLED.... ground textures for MSAA."

This looks like an error.  Perhaps I am missing an option or setting other than the P3D Display settings?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDTLiveUpdate SSAA DISABLED in Error
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 11:13:55 am »
As discussed in another thread, if your Prepar3D.cfg has a syntax error ( usually comments with the wrong separator ), the Live Update assume to use MSAA. Not possible to say for sure, if you don't ZIP your Prepar3D.cfg and Attach it to a thread.

downscc

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 07:14:49 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I specified P3Dv4 so that .cfg is attached.  Note I also have P3Dv5 and that prepar3d.cfg is stock default, no changes, and it is also 2xSSAA.

I looked and I have extensive commenting (left over from my early days learning assembly) but always use the //.  Let me know if you see something I've done' wrong... much appreciated.

EDIT:  I installed KORDv2 to both v4 and v5 and saw SSAA disabled.  I just installed several locations (eg, KIAH KMEM) to v5 only an noted that SSAA was enabled so that points to something I have in the v4 .cfg file that your installer doesn't care for.  Perhaps an in-line commend (a KVP pair followed by //?).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:35:07 pm by downscc »

glc100o

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 02:14:37 am »
I am having the same issue. I had switched to MSAA textures and did not care for the appearance, and wanted to switch back to SSAA textures. I currently have P3d V4.5 with 2xSSAA, and have run the full new installer for KORD V2, and during the Live Update get the "SSAA is DISABLED, we'll install a versions of ground textures optimized for MSAA" message. I do not alter the .cfg file myself.

I attached a copy.

Greg

bhorv67

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 02:44:21 am »
Something is not right - I'm having the same issue. I for sure have SSAA enabled and Live update (only as of today) is installing textures for MSAA.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 09:00:19 am »
I looked and I have extensive commenting (left over from my early days learning assembly) but always use the //.  Let me know if you see something I've done' wrong... much appreciated.

That's precisely the problem. As I've said in another post, C++ style comments are illegal in .INI file ( and the Prepar3d.cfg IS an .INI file ). Problem is, there's no a proper standard it's just a convention but, usually, // comments are not considered valid.

The SIMULATOR itself will just ignore that line, the Live Updater, not obviously trying to "reinvent the wheel", use a standard .INI parsing library, and that generates an exception when what it considers an illegal command is used.

bhorv67

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 04:09:49 pm »
I have no commenting in my .cfg, yet this issue is happening, only as of yesterday. I've made no recent changes to my environment.

bhorv67

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 05:31:00 pm »
As a test, I had P3d create a fresh cfg and I deleted my custom saved cfgs. Only change I made was to enable 4xSSAA. I confirmed that setting is indeed in the new cfg and Live Update is still noting that SSAA is DISABLED.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 10:42:47 pm »
Try with the new Live Update, I think the problem was it wasn't detecting the situation of no P3DV4, but V5 installer. We never anticipated people would be so quick to uninstall V4 yet...

bhorv67

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 12:01:35 am »
I'll give it a try, but I don't have v5, and don't plan on updating for quite a while

bhorv67

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 12:04:55 am »
Live update just ran, and notes that SSAA is now active, however, I'm noticing the same textures installing at the beginning of live update, and the SSAA detection is done after the textures are installed. Also, I think the file names of the textures are the same as what was previously being installed when the SSAA flag was DISABLED.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 09:57:53 am »
Live update just ran, and notes that SSAA is now active, however, I'm noticing the same textures installing at the beginning of live update, and the SSAA detection is done after the textures are installed.

You are assuming the textures are first being "installed" and then "detected", which suggest a backward approach, but that's only because you don't know that, when you see the "detection" message, the textures that have just being first updated, are then COPIED from a backup folder into the actual folder and, of course, the source folder of the copy is the correct one, depending if SSAA is detected or not.

Also, I think the file names of the textures are the same as what was previously being installed when the SSAA flag was DISABLED.

The file names are of course the same (it would be foolish to do otherwise, since it would required to also distribute a different .BGL which is really the same, JUST pointing to a differently named texture), but the textures are NOT the same.

downscc

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 05:55:17 pm »

That's precisely the problem. As I've said in another post, C++ style comments are illegal in .INI file ( and the Prepar3d.cfg IS an .INI file ). Problem is, there's no a proper standard it's just a convention but, usually, // comments are not considered valid.

The SIMULATOR itself will just ignore that line, the Live Updater, not obviously trying to "reinvent the wheel", use a standard .INI parsing library, and that generates an exception when what it considers an illegal command is used.

I disagree, not that that matters.  I've seen commenting in .ini files as far back as Win 3.1 and I have written my own KVP parser in c# (afterall, an .ini file is just a kind of key value pair syntax using [] brackets to delineate sections) that recognizes // commenting.

Fine... I'm not going to revise my .cfg/.ini files to accommodate your lack of robustness in parsing a text file to achieve the mediocre quality  you offer.

glc100o

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 08:16:18 pm »
I ran the Live Update today and received "SSAA is ENABLED, we'll install a versions of ground textures optimized for SSAA" so looks like all is good now with appropriately identifying which texture set to install on my system. Also got the SODE updates for all of my Hawaii Airport Sceneries, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg