Author Topic: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet  (Read 110853 times)

neutrino

Re: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2010, 07:09:49 pm »
Capt, I forgot the clock mode - do you want it to be set to Zulu time or Local (default) ?

GOONIE

« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2010, 07:33:34 pm »
Actually, I prefer ET, since it takes up less screen on the HUD and doesn't cover up the meatball so much. Thanks again!
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Razgriz

« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2010, 09:53:01 pm »
Hi Capt, I've attached here a small initialization file for the HUD - it sets the initial values of the modes as you requested:

1) Cage mode is ON
   2) Altimeter shows radar altitude
   3) Steering is set to NAV1

Is there a way to change the default settings for the HUD symbology? When I boot up FSX I have to 'cage' the HUD, turn on the RA, display NAV1, and change the clock everytime. Just curious if there was an easy way to make it so the HUD is caged, RA on, NAV 1 on as the default setup. Thanks!

Great XML file.  Any idea for the clock?

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2010, 10:05:26 pm »
caphalti, what is "ET" please? Sometimes I don't follow all the acronyms and this is one. Thanks. I'm interested also in not obscuring the meatball as much as possible.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

neutrino

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2010, 10:26:03 pm »
Spaz, "ET" on the HUD Switch Panel is the timer, so it probably stands for "Elapsed Time".

Capt, I updated the .xml file (here) with a setting for the clock mode, but I left the default value which is local time. If you need the timer as default, you can just open the xml in notepad and change the value for the Clock Mode to "2".

caphalti, what is "ET" please? Sometimes I don't follow all the acronyms and this is one. Thanks. I'm interested also in not obscuring the meatball as much as possible.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:30:28 pm by neutrino »

GOONIE

« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2010, 10:28:04 pm »
Roger that. Thanks Neutrino!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:35:32 pm by capthaltli »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Razgriz

« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2010, 01:59:32 am »
JR, thats a great file.  Can it apply for other things than the default hud?  I.E. my default TACAN channel, my trim, or what pages my MFD are set to?  I'd love to start up the sim and already be ready for taxi.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2010, 02:54:03 am »
ET? Gotcha - thanks.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

neutrino

« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2010, 11:05:39 am »
The easiest way to have the TCN channel, trim and fuel quantity ready as you start is to set them the way you prefer and then save the flight. Then every time you load that flight - you will start with same NAV1 frequency, trim and fuel state. The initial MFD pages configuration however cannot be changed or saved.

JR, thats a great file.  Can it apply for other things than the default hud?  I.E. my default TACAN channel, my trim, or what pages my MFD are set to?  I'd love to start up the sim and already be ready for taxi.

Tregarth

« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »

Thank you for this tremendous add-on which is tremendously enjoyable to use.  I have tried to land on the Nimitz in the Goshawk and can only say it is a good thing the USN has lots of money to repair all the planes I break.

I wonder if it would be possible to put the HUD panel with Nimitz radios into the default Cessna 172?  I know it is not realistic but it would enable people to work up to the Goshawk and from there to the F-18.  Some may find the Goshawk the limits of their abilities but at least a HUD'ed 172 would enable them to see what "landing on" is like.

Since the carrier is moving at 25 kts and the 172 can land at 65 kts it is quite possible to land on the deck and stop before rolling over the sharp end and into the sea.

I hope someone will kindly produce the appropriate files.

Thank you,

Tregarth

Intrepid

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2010, 07:44:03 pm »
Hello Tregarth
What you need to do is to try to land a c-130 on the deck .It will stop within the full length of the ship if you touch down on the center line of the keel,  and use full breaks  :D ;D
Pretty silly ..I know but fun
you can get a great one ( c-130 that is ) for free from here
http://voodoo.wikispaces.com/C130+Hercules
Have fun ;)
Randy

neutrino

« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2010, 04:06:23 am »
You cannot put the HUD in the virtual cockpit of the Cessna, but you can put it in the 2D cockpit. Still I would think the T-45 is a very well balanced carrier-borne aircraft that you can land at 110 kts which gives you a lot of time in the groove.

neutrino

« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2010, 06:51:06 pm »
I think the Ezdok camera can move around the virtual cockpit (VC Walk Camera) and this may have changed your default eye position. Try pressing Ctrl+Space to reset your eyepoint.

Barthanol

« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2010, 12:30:00 pm »
Thank you Neutrion for this wonderful creation of yours & also thanks to everyone involved in beta testing this excellent & realistic HUD.

I know that you can see the ILS/TACAN data on the HUD for static carriers & moving carriers, in free flight (on schedule or placed with the AICarriers2 utility) or in missions, including Javier's Nimitz & also in multiplayer with Orion's sfcarriers2.

I have a question about being able to display the ILS/TACAN data in your HUD for an aircraft carrier when joining a multiplayer session that is not using sfcarriers2 but instead when players are individually using AICarriers2 after they join to place a carrier at a specific waypoint.

I have noticed that there are often multiplayer sessions in FSX where people join & after you join each player individually uses the AICarriers2 utility to place a static aircraft carrier at a specified waypoint described in the multiplayer sessions details.

For example lately there has been a multiplayer KSFO Carrier session where the server's description is to use the designated waypoint DATTS to place a static aircraft carrier in the San Francisco Bay with AICarriers2. In this way we can all fly together in multiplayer & do carrier ops.

The problem is that I can no longer display the ILS/TACAN data in the HUD for carrier landings when joining these multiplayer sessions even though it works perfectly when I am using it offline in free flight mode in the exact same scenario.

The question I have is if I should be able to display the ILS/TACAN data in the HUD for carrier landings in the type of multiplayer session I described above? Or is that not supported for those type of multiplayer sessions and I can only use the ILS/TACAN data for carrier landings offline for static carriers & moving carriers in free flight, on schedule or placed with the AICarriers2 utility, or in missions, and it only works online for multiplayer sessions with Orion's sfcarriers2 mission?

Thanks again for creating such an excellent & realistic HUD!

neutrino

« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2010, 08:49:29 pm »
Hi, I am glad you like the HUD. Unfortunately, the HUD cannot track carriers placed with the AICarriers2 utility in multiplayer. This is a limitation of the game, not of the HUD.