Author Topic: KHFK airport ground texture  (Read 8426 times)

mulgrave

KHFK airport ground texture
« on: April 07, 2020, 01:25:29 pm »
Hi

I don't know why the airport ground texture is as shown on the pics, can somebody help ?

thanks

mulgrave

Re: KHFK airport ground texture
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 01:58:32 pm »
sorry  did not give details
using P3dv4.5, orbx global

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 11:31:22 pm »
It would have been helpful if you said what you think it's wrong with that picture.

WinstonWolf

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 11:47:38 am »
Hello ,

Whats wrong with this Picture ?

Do you dont see the kind of  Blurry Ground Textures .

Here for Example Aerosofts Milano Malpensa Airport . Do you see the Difference ?

Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:16:30 pm »
Here for Example Aerosofts Milano Malpensa Airport . Do you see the Difference ?

First, be sure you set the max texture size to 4K, otherwise you are seeing less resolution the scenery was made with. JFK uses 4K textures for speed, not for extra resolution, so it can use less textures. It was made at a time when many people thought it was "impossible" to have a good performing JFK.

If you already are at 4K, then your mistake is to assume a scenery made in 2008, which was updated in 2013 but still used the same basic structure and texture layout, which had to run on FSX without OOM, would look the same as a scenery made many years later for P3D4.

And, you could compared it to our own KORD V2, to make an example of how a recent scenery made for P3D4 should look like.

P.S. I removed your other identical post asking the same question. Please don't post twice about the same issue.

WinstonWolf

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 11:39:09 am »
Hello and Thanks for the info ,

BUT my other Post was definitly not the same as this Post .
I ask u in the other Post what can be the reason for the greyed out 4096x4096 Resolution Option in the Addon Manager .
And i ask u why the Airport do not automatically added to the Scenery Library . In my Case i must add the Airport manually .

So why do you delete the othert Post ?!?!

Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 09:45:00 pm »
I ask u in the other Post what can be the reason for the greyed out 4096x4096 Resolution Option in the Addon Manager .

You don't say which simulator you use but, since it's greyed out, it's because you have a sim in which you CAN set the 4K resolution from the sim own interface so, it was totally redundant to have the same option in the Addon Manager.

It USED to be required in the Addon Manager because, in FSX SP2, you CANNOT set 4K resolution without manually changing the FSX.CFG, and if you moved the Max texture size slider, it would go back to 1024x1024, so we added the option in the Addon Manager, but since FSX:SE and all versions of P3D, you can set 4K res from within the normal simulator UI.

And i ask u why the Airport do not automatically added to the Scenery Library . In my Case i must add the Airport manually .

You can be sure the airport IS added automatically to the Scenery Library. If it wasn't in your case, the most likely explanation is your scenery.cfg was already corrupted by having edited it by hand, or by defective installers of other products, so our installer doesn't dare to touch it, if it finds is already corrupted.

A common reason for the file being corrupted, is adding comments, usually in C++ style ( // ) which are illegal in .INI file ( the scenery.cfg follows the rules on .ini file )

So why do you delete the othert Post ?!?!

As I've said, because you posted the same question with the same screenshots about blurred textures at JFK.

WinstonWolf

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 08:48:46 am »
Wehn u read my deleted Post carefully you see that in the Subject i wrot P3Dv5 HF2 :-)

That means when i set in Sim an Resolution from 4096x4096 then automatically the Addon Manager and also the Scenery uses this Resolution and overridden the Setting from Addon Manager ? Right ?

Is this the Reason why the Resolution Setting in Addon Manager is grayed out ? Mine shows 2048x2048 and is grayed out .

Please can u sent me an original Screenshot from your Site from Cargo Aerea like in this Screenshot from my Site . Than we have an good comparsion . Thanks

Can it be that u use for the whole KJFK Airport Satellite Images for the Ground Textures ? I think this is the reason that it looks so . Most of the other developers create own Ground Textures for the Airport which looks much better .

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:50:59 am by WinstonWolf »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 10:34:43 am »
That means when i set in Sim an Resolution from 4096x4096 then automatically the Addon Manager and also the Scenery uses this Resolution and overridden the Setting from Addon Manager ? Right ?

Of course. More precisely, the Addon Manager is only SHOWING your setting in the sim. It will never, ever, affect it, because it's just not required.

Is this the Reason why the Resolution Setting in Addon Manager is grayed out ? Mine shows 2048x2048 and is grayed out .

Of course. It means exactly that: the Addon Manager is showing your setting, and is telling you cannot change it from THERE.

Please can u sent me an original Screenshot from your Site from Cargo Aerea like in this Screenshot from my Site . Than we have an good comparsion

Why you don't simply set the texture at 4K in your sim ?

Most of the other developers create own Ground Textures for the Airport which looks much better .

We obviously use custom ground textures, it's just they are blended with the underlying satellite image which, as, I've said:

- Was made according to the PC specs which were current when the scenery was designed, in 2008. Back then "other developers" textures looked far worse.

- Was made to look at its best in 4K so, if you use 2K you are seeing half the resolution it was made for.

WinstonWolf

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 01:03:38 pm »
Hello ,

As i wrote :

1. I set in Sim 4096 Resolution
2. In Addon Manager it shows 2048x2048 grayed out , but in Sim i use 4096

Why Addon Manager shows the wrong Resolution ?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 04:25:57 pm »
Why Addon Manager shows the wrong Resolution ?

Because you must restart the sim: for the precise reason the Addon Manager DOES NOT control resolution in P3D V4, it also doesn't care to keep track of its changes when you are changing the setting in the sim. This, as I've said, was done only in FSX, because ONLY in FSX ( and not the Steam version ), the Addon Manager reads the memory location the resolution is stored, so it's able to detect a change in realtime.

Since in P3D V4, the resolution in the Addon Manager doesn't matter, ( the Addon Manager is not affected by it and is not affecting it ), it's also not updated in realtime, because it's a setting that doesn't matter, so it's read only when starting the sim. Not that this makes any difference so, I'l repeat it again: NOTHING you read about the texture resolution in the Addon Manager has *any* relationship to how you'll see the scenery.

WinstonWolf

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 07:48:08 am »
Hello ,

Ok , after Restart the Addon  Manager shows up 4096x4096 .

But this bad looking Satellite Ground is not gone away . Is there an Plan to Update this Airport or release an new Version ?

Michael

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 09:54:57 am »
But this bad looking Satellite Ground is not gone away

I never said the satellite ground would "go away". Just that, if you are not using 4K textures, it would even worse than it's supposed to be.

Is there an Plan to Update this Airport or release an new Version ?

JFK is surely a candidate for a complete remake, like KORD V2. Not timeline for it right now.