Author Topic: P3DV5 and Jetway Logos  (Read 3277 times)

cartayna

• Beta tester
P3DV5 and Jetway Logos
« on: April 16, 2020, 02:29:27 pm »
From what I have heard, in P3D V5 logos will now show as a black rectangle loosing its textures.
Have you thought about any solution to this?

thanks

Cartayna Files

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3DV5 and Jetway Logos
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 04:00:52 pm »
From what I have heard, in P3D V5 logos will now show as a black rectangle loosing its textures.

The reason for this has been clearly explained several days ago, when P3D V5 was announced

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,23304.msg155949.html#msg155949

Sure, converting all our DirectX 11 code to DirectX 12. Will be done, no idea when, since it's fairly complex stuff, that can potentially crash the sim if not done and tested correctly.

cartayna

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 08:08:12 pm »

The reason for this has been clearly explained several days ago, when P3D V5 was announced

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,23304.msg155949.html#msg155949

Sure, converting all our DirectX 11 code to DirectX 12. Will be done, no idea when, since it's fairly complex stuff, that can potentially crash the sim if not done and tested correctly.
Here we go again.. if I ask is obviously because it is not quite clear.. the only thing you mention is: - Drawing textures inside textures. This is likely the most important one, which allows you to customize ground operators and jetway logos in GSX by simply picking up an image, without having to configure a repaint. And, not using a repaint, meant we reduced the number of objects in GSX by about 7000 compared to the FSX version, thanks to this feature.
Does this tell us what to do with all the configurations that have logos and now show a black box? do we need to remove them one by one? no, it does not explain.
Does it tell us how to create new logos? no it does not.
Dos it tell us if all our libraries are going to the garbage? not.
What I was asking or begging was for a bit more of information.
Very grateful.
Cheers
Javier

james008

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 09:39:41 pm »
Looks like everybody were fully aware of this known issue, except you

cartayna

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 10:10:05 am »
Looks like everybody were fully aware of this known issue, except you
I was. And nobody is aware of how to proceed. Are you?
Also your response puts FSDT in evidence more than me, after all I am managing the largest database of configuratoins available in the market and the fact that they did not take the time to notify me as they did in the past puts them in evidence more than me, and affects their customers more than me. If they do not care to do so, is a lack of interest towards their customers not me. And as you see in my comment I am not talkinig about the simple fact that there is an incident of the logos or not, but the question of when and how to proceed with hundreds of configurations that will be affected by this logo and if they are coming with a solution. You might find it an irrelevant questions. Thousands I know dont.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:17:52 am by cartayna »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 10:39:56 am »
the only thing you mention is: - Drawing textures inside textures. This is likely the most important one, which allows you to customize ground operators and jetway logos in GSX by simply picking up an image, without having to configure a repaint. And, not using a repaint, meant we reduced the number of objects in GSX by about 7000 compared to the FSX version, thanks to this feature.

That's not the "only" thing I mentioned, you seem to have missed quite a bit of the explanation, and quoted this out of context. Let's go through it, step by step:

The sentence you quoted here, was part of the explanation of WHAT "Render To Texture" does, because it started with:

However, the change to DirectX 12 and other changes LM did to the basic rendering engine, have some impact on our products, which will require quite a bit of work on our side, which has been undergoing for some time, and is still is right now, because we are one of the few developers who used the sim PDK quite extensively and, in this specific case, we used DirectX 11 for the "Render To Texture" option, which allows us those basic features:

THEN it follows to explain WHAT the "Render To Texture" option does, which is what you quoted.

Then it goes on with:

All of this to explain that, while all our updates will be free, even in their final version, we'll likely proceed in steps, like this:

- On P3D V5 release date, or very shortly after that, we'll have updated installers, which will let you USE our products as soon as possible.

- The "Render to Texture" feature will likely be initially DISABLED. This basically means no Logo on Jetways or ground vehicles, they'll be generic with only their base colors. And no Font, so no distance readout for the Marshaller and no Fuel Counters. Other than that, the program will continue to work exactly as before. KORD V2 requires DirectX/RTT for the Info and AI panels, so those won't work either, initially.

In the following weeks, we'll work on restoring RTT using DX12 first

Not sure how much clearer it than this it could be. Would you rather prefer we would NOT support P3D V5 AT ALL ? No GSX is better than GSX without logos ?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:41:42 am by virtuali »

cartayna

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 10:45:36 am »
1.Not interested that GSX continues in P3dv5? who said so.
2. You could however have notified me in time so I could have gotthen the database of over 100 configurations ready. Logos now show in Black.
3. A simple converter of files removing all logos or an update that would do so would have taken care of it.
Makes sense?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:49:41 am by virtuali »

DVA12924

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 10:52:25 am »
I did a quick test flight out of FSDT KMEM on v5 and although I didn’t change the gate logos, I didn’t even notice the trucks didn’t have logos. I didn’t see any black squares. I did modify the truck assignments in v4 to match the first assigned airline if any.

Like everything else, there will need to be updates to addons for p3dv5. None of my addon aircraft are developer ready for v5, there’s no weather addon so no real time weather either. If those who use your config files (myself included) has only the problem of black boxes showing on otherwise fully working objects, I’d live with that for a short time till an update is released.

FSDT in my experience had always been pretty good at finding and fixing issues extremely quickly. Just direct those who have an issue to the original post about the rendering and that’s all we can do for now.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 10:56:31 am »
1.Not interested that GSX continues in P3dv5? who said so.

I'm asking you: WHO said so ? I said something entirely different, which is we'll WORK ON IT IN THE NEXT WEEKS!

2. You could however have notified me in time so I could have gotthen the database of over 100 configurations ready. Logos now show in Black.

The whole point is that you shouldn't be required to change any of your files. They'll work again when RTT will be back.

3. A simple converter of files removing all logos or an update that would do so would have taken care of it. Makes sense?

Ok, now I'm slowly start to understand ( sorry, I'm notoriously slow, especially these days, due to sleep deprivation to fix all sceneries, installers, to not let users without our products for a single day ), you would simply have the logo disappear, if RTT is disabled and custom texture is used ?

Ok, that's easy and doesn't require any cumbersome converter but, it would have been easier if you just said something like:

"Ok guys, I read your post, so I understand moving from DX11 to DX12 is fairly complex, as you said in your announcement but, could you please make a small fix to GSX that it won't show any logo if a custom texture was used, because a black texture doesn't look very good ?"

That I could understand because, as I've said, I'm a bit fuzzy these days...

jcannon83

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 11:10:01 am »
I wish you guys would get on, what you both do improves my simming experience so much.

Carayna, is the base colour of your logos black? Would it be easier to create a basic generic texture, or to exclude the logos all together until FSDT have fixed the fault within GSX?

I see it says you're part of the beta team, this isn't by accident and will be down to the hard work you have done with the GSX profiles.

P3dV5 is new and it should have been anticipated that there are problems, if FSDT knew about p3dv5 before it was announced 10 or so days ago, they would have been under an NDA and I guess unable to divulge info to anyone other than their dev team.

Virtuali, Cartayna is clearly passionate about GSX with the work he has done for free, perhaps let him help out with future development?

VHHHflyer

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 12:22:01 pm »
FSDT was most likely under NDA and unable to share such information. We should appreciate that their sceneries all work as well as GSX as soon as the new sim released, while the majority of other devs are wanting unspecified time.
Besides, this was known to happen since the day V5 was announced, so there were 10 days to edit your files.