Author Topic: Louisville not visible in P3D  (Read 5317 times)

LexGary

Louisville not visible in P3D
« on: April 03, 2020, 02:32:24 am »
I have tried to install Louisville into a new install of P3D 4.  I successfully activated the scenery and made sure that it is on top of the scenery stack.  The airport is not visible.  The Couatl Scripting Engine failure occurs without exception.  Any idea what has gone wrong?
thanks,
Gary

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Louisville not visible in P3D
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 03:22:15 pm »
It's likely you haven't installed GSX L2, which is required by all our latest sceneries, including KSDF. Of course, it's free to use there.

LexGary

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 06:52:02 pm »
Thanks.  I thought I had installed everything it wanted after doing the product install.

I did buy this from PC Aviator yesterday:

GSX Ground Services For FSX/P3D
Options:   
Download Delivery Options:   Instant Download

So I have a license (but have not installed it yet).  is that all I need?

thanks,
Gary

LexGary

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 08:52:27 pm »
I did follow the prompts when Louisville was originally installed.  I ended up with this installed on the machine.  This happened when Louisville was installed. 

is this enough?

LexGary

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 09:06:45 pm »
It looks like the original install got GSX but not L2. 

After that, I bought GSX from PC Aviator so I have that licensed version that is not installed, and I have the free version of GSX that Louisville installed.  Is that version fully featured or should I uninstall it and install the version I obtained from PC Aviator?

After that, download and install L2?

thanks,
Gary

LexGary

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 09:42:40 pm »
two further updates.  The screen shot shows the GSX and L2 are in trial mode.  I added the directory to the Defender exclusion but the scripting error persists.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 02:48:38 pm »
two further updates.  The screen shot shows the GSX and L2 are in trial mode.  I added the directory to the Defender exclusion but the scripting error persists.

The activation status of a product is totally unrelated to its installation.

You might have a product Active, because your key is registered in Windows and will stay that way until you reinstall Windows or change hardware, and that is unrelated to the fact you might have installed the product or not. The opposite is also true, you might have installed a product, but you might have to activate it yet, so it will run in Trial.

So, fact GSX L2 shows Active doesn't mean anything, you might still have to install it, something you might have forgot to do so, please, be sure you install GSX L2 using the latest installer, and you also install KSDF using the latest installer.

Also, I noticed from your first screenshot you have KSDF installed here:

D:\Flightsim\Louisville\Fsdreamteam

While you have the GSX Exclude file folder installed here:

D:\Flightsim\Louisville\Addon Manager

This seems to indicate you MOVED the files manually, because our installer will always place all FSDT products TOGETHER under the Addon Manager folder. YOU CANNOT MOVE FSDT SCENERIES. While you can install freely in every place you want, all FSDT products MUST STAY TOGETHER, under the same Addon Manager folder. If you move files around, nothing will ever work.

A NORMAL installation, before you moved any files, would look like this:

D:\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\Exclude
D:\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\KSDF

Assuming you chose D:\ as the destination.

If you moved any files, and want to fix this, then reinstall every FSDT product you have, in the following way:

- Uninstall all FSDT products you have. Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" THIS IS IMPORTANT

- Reinstall all FSDT products you have, including GSX and all the sceneries. Use ONLY the latest version of the installers. Do not use older versions of the installers you might have downloaded in the past. If you are not sure, download them all again.

- Either accept the default installation folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager, or change to a different one if you don't have enough space on C:

- DO NOT change the folder to be "inside" the Flight sim own folder, this is neither required or suggested and it's likely the worse possible choice. The default location is perfectly fine, and the only reason you might want to change it, is if you don't have enough space on C: so, for example, you can choose another drive, like D:, which will result in all FSDT products ending in D:\Addon Manager, which ( again ) is perfectly fine. Any folder is fine, except INSIDE the folder the simulator is installed into. Any drive it's fine, and it doesn't have to be the same drive the simulator is installed into.

- This choice it's possible only on the first FSDT installer you run. Subsequent installation will all default to the first destination you choose on the first installer. While you can install everywhere you like ( just don't select the simulator own folder, please ), all FSDT products MUST stay together. That's why the installer doesn't let you to change folder after the first installation.

- If you forget to reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" when uninstalling, you will not be able to choose an installation destination freely. THAT'S why I flagged this as IMPORTANT, so I'll repeat it again, to be sure you notice it.

This is the ONLY safe way to "move" an FSDT installation, no other method will work.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 02:57:26 pm by virtuali »

LexGary

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 04:34:12 pm »
thanks for the helpful response.  I will uninstall everything and start over.  But a few questions:

No files or directories were moved after installation.  I installed Louisville first, and accepted its defaults when it did the demo installation of GSX.  So the directory structure was selected by the installers after I directed it to the D SSD.

You say not to install into the simulator directory.  I did not try to do that.  The directory structure that makes sense for me is
d:\FlightSim\various programs

for instance, P3D is in a directory below FlightSim, something like
d:\FlightSim\P3D

I would like to put GSX and your airports into a different directory, say
d:\FlightSim\FSDT\
with your products below that.  Do you see any problems with that setup?  This setup is "self-documenting" in that I can find all FSDT installs at a glance and not have to document where they ended up.

I now have licenses for both GSX products and will install those first.

Will it be necessary to add different directories fo Windows defender after the reinstall?

thanks,
Gary

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 08:18:20 pm »
No files or directories were moved after installation.  I installed Louisville first, and accepted its defaults when it did the demo installation of GSX.  So the directory structure was selected by the installers after I directed it to the D SSD.

Sorry, no. That's just impossible, you must have moved it and not remember it, because the installer will place folders like this:

D:\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\Exclude
D:\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\KSDF

This is 100% sure, and you'll realize it as soon you reinstall it. It's just not possible the GSX Exclude area and any other FSDT scenery won't end up together, the only way to achieve this, would be moving files after the installation, no question about it.

d:\FlightSim\FSDT\

with your products below that.  Do you see any problems with that setup?

No problem whatsoever. When I said "you can install whenever you want, except the sim own folder", I mean it...this will result in all FSDT products installed here:

d:\FlightSim\FSDT\Addon Manager for, for example, to continue the previous case:

D:\FlightSim\FSDT\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\Exclude
D:\FlightSim\FSDT\Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\KSDF

Everything FSDT will always stay under the same "Addon Manager" folder, whatever its actual place in your system.

Will it be necessary to add different directories fo Windows defender after the reinstall?

Of course. You'll have to add the previously chosen folder to the Exclusion list, D:\FlightSim\FSDT\Addon Manager or D:\FlightSim\FSDT

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:35:40 pm by virtuali »

LexGary

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 08:26:54 pm »
I have uninstalled all FSDT and am starting over with a fresh install of GSX.  I now have licenses for both.

No directories were moved - I know better than to do that.

But I do use SIMstarterNG.  I have a separate config for Kentucky, including this, KLEX, and Megascenery.  Are there any known issues with SIMStarter?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 08:42:49 pm »
But I do use SIMstarterNG.  I have a separate config for Kentucky, including this, KLEX, and Megascenery.  Are there any known issues with SIMStarter?

I don't know ( at least I hope so ) if that program move files on its own but, if you are sure you haven't moved them manually, and I'm sure our installer cannot possibly create a configuration like yours, then the only possible explanation left, is that program DOES move files on its own.

And if this is true, I suggest stop using it immediately, because it's just wrong that some utility would do that, I would compare it to a virus, if it really did that.

In addition to that, while under FSX there might have been some point in using these utilities to save some memory, in P3D4 is totally overkill, and the hassle and the risk of problems is not worth whatever memory saving it could result by not having all scenery files always installed.

And, whatever startup time you are saving, it's lost if you use GSX because, each time you use this utility to change the scenery configuration, it will trigger a cache rebuild from GSX, which normally happens only if you install or uninstall a new scenery.

In addition to that, even on FSX, our product never required such utilities, since the main reason they exists, was to fix bugs in FSX, that not all memory used by a scenery was released when you fly outside of its area. But this affected only other developers sceneries, that only use standard .BGL format. We always used our own memory management, since we create/destroy a scenery almost entirely under control of our software, so you can be sure once you fly outside of the small area of a scenery, typically 10-12 NM around the airport, all its memory will be reclaimed so, even in FSX, you never required such utilities to prevent an OOM.

With P3D4, even less so.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:45:27 pm by virtuali »

LexGary

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 09:03:30 pm »
all is well now.  The airport is beautiful.

The only difference between this time and the first is that I installed and activated GSX/L2 first, then installed the airport.  All were pointed to d:\FlightSim\FSDT\

thanks again!
Gary

PS - CVG - greater Cinncy N Kentucky airport needs a good model!  It is an old Delta hub and overlooks the Ohio River.