Author Topic: [P3Dv4.5] GSX "Virtual Airline Override"/Forceable Listed Airline Issue  (Read 3053 times)

Camber

Hello,

I've been attempting to configure the GSX Level 2 Expansion for use within a Virtual Airline and after reading many forum posts/the GSX Instructions PDF, have failed to gain the addition of the custom ground crew within the simulator. The texturing portion, in terms of PNG dimensions, is as instructed and is accurately placed on the vehicles and jetbridge. The ability to use the customized ground crew is available when installed into the individual gate; however, fails to force or override at all others (tested at many different airports). I've attempted to rewrite the rules configuration files in different ways, attempt to force at different airports, etc. to no avail. Below I have linked some photos of the config files (all the files in their current state are the same lines) if there is something I may do to solve this, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

pilot3033

Shooting a reply to this because I've also had trouble getting GSX to recognize a custom operator without overriding a specific parking spot. Even at airports where no airline is available, but my custom airline has the full ICAO code (KPSP for example).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
We'll check this, it seems the Virtual airline override is not working now.

pilot3033

We'll check this, it seems the Virtual airline override is not working now.

Thanks Umberto! I followed the steps in the manual like Camber did, using the customization menu to add a custom logo, then modifying the rules.cfg file to add additional airports. "Virtual Airline Override" is NOT checked, as I intended the custom logo to be an option at select airports.

I got it to work as intended when the list of airports in rules.cfg was less than 3. I will experiment with how many can be added before it is not recognized.

EDIT: Not sure if this is helpful, but if I modify rules.cfg to change the base color, for example I had initially selected Cyan and changed it to "red," GSX does not seem to recognize this when I force the custom operator to be used at a parking position. Perhaps the application is storing an older version of rules.cfg, or running notepad as administrator is required?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:26:53 pm by pilot3033 »

pilot3033

Update: I am having more success when I use the in-game Add Ons menu to restart Coutal and rebuild the airport cache. I was able to get one custom livery to work sometimes, but the other doesn't seem to work at all. At FSDT KLAX it wasn't even giving me an airline choice, it was just selecting Alliance Ground. I know the logo and carrier work because if I request deboarding, the correct logo appears on the shipping container.

I have a feeling that AFCAD supplied airline codes are "winning" over the potential options I provided in rules.cfg, but that doesn't explain why someone like "Alliance" would be the only option.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:41:32 am by pilot3033 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Ok, we have a look at it and, in fact, it's not that Virtual airlines are not working, they are a bit confusing...

First, when you create a custom operator, you MUST "Restart and rebuild the airport cache". The name of the option is a bit misleading, since it used to be only an "airport" cache but now, since the number of models has grown a lot since GSX came out, it's also a "model" cache so, whenever a new model or repaint is installed, the cache must be rebuilt.

And, the custom operator MUST have its atc_parking_codes = XXX line, where XXX is the same name of the custom texture itself.

And, it's not explained but, you should always create a custom operator starting from the "handling" section of the GSX parking page, not the "catering" section, otherwise the Virtual airline override won't work, since it's supposed to override the ground operator. This might be confusing, and since some would probably like to have a different override for the handler and the catering, in the next update we'll add TWO separate override, one for the handler and another one for the catering.

pilot3033

Ok, we have a look at it and, in fact, it's not that Virtual airlines are not working, they are a bit confusing...

First, when you create a custom operator, you MUST "Restart and rebuild the airport cache". The name of the option is a bit misleading, since it used to be only an "airport" cache but now, since the number of models has grown a lot since GSX came out, it's also a "model" cache so, whenever a new model or repaint is installed, the cache must be rebuilt.

And, the custom operator MUST have its atc_parking_codes = XXX line, where XXX is the same name of the custom texture itself.

And, it's not explained but, you should always create a custom operator starting from the "handling" section of the GSX parking page, not the "catering" section, otherwise the Virtual airline override won't work, since it's supposed to override the ground operator. This might be confusing, and since some would probably like to have a different override for the handler and the catering, in the next update we'll add TWO separate override, one for the handler and another one for the catering.

Hi Umberto, thanks for the reply.

In my case, not sure about Camber's, I added both custom ground handlers through the "..." menu in the GSX "Airport customization" window. I added a seperate custom caterer with a different logo, also using the "..." page.

After that, I edited rules.cfg to include "coutal.icaoprefixes = K KLAX KSBA KSAN" and "coutal.atc_parking_codes = NWR" or the the code as appropriate.

I will attempt to rebuild the cache again. Although I am confused why sometimes GSX selects "Alliance Ground" when I am at the Imperial Cargo Complex at LAX, if "K" is included, shouldn't I get an option as to which ground handler is selected?

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Did this one ever happen or not. I am having the situation where I've customized both the handling and catering operators, but when I use GSX, it only lets me select the handling operator. The catering defaults to Jet Aviation.
Captain Kevin