Author Topic: I have a suggestion for FSDT Live Update.  (Read 6619 times)

bcm652

I have a suggestion for FSDT Live Update.
« on: February 28, 2020, 08:17:27 pm »
Make a list of the updates available for the GSX  Addon Manager and we can pick and choose which update we want to install.
For instance, GSX update for Feb. 14 is okay it has features that I like. But, update FED.7, update which is primarily about some European Airport which doesn't interest me and I will probably not use, so I wouldn't want to down load it. Someone else might feel different, but we will have a choice, one but not the other.
The update list shows what is included, just make the same list available in FSDT Live Update only with an option to pick or choose which one you want to download.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: I have a suggestion for FSDT Live Update.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 03:55:22 am »
I don't think it actually installs files for airports you don't have.
Captain Kevin

bcm652

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 03:38:55 pm »
Okay, but MFSX has hundreds of airports, it's the generic or general addons that I'm thinking about that I would like to chose from.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:47:25 pm »
The Live Update only checks for updates for FSDreamteam products, so I'm not sure what generic or general add-ons you're referring to.
Captain Kevin

bcm652

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 06:28:50 am »
GSX updates for Addon Manager..

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 12:19:35 pm »
So you're trying to pick and choose which GSX updates you want? Or am I missing something here.
Captain Kevin

bcm652

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 05:37:54 pm »
Bingo !!!

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 08:02:37 pm »
I don't think that's how it works, nor am I sure why you would want that. That's like saying there's an update to an airport scenery, but you only want part of the update. Or an update to a plane, but you only want part of the update. When all of the code is tied into each other and requires each individual part, you can't really just pick and choose which part you want since you'll most likely wind up with something that's just broken.
Captain Kevin

bcm652

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 10:18:52 pm »
Not quite. If there is a update to an airport like Pango Pango that I'm not interested in, then I don't want that update, why take up bandwidth for something that I'm not going to use. The same for aircraft, why would I update some features on a 747 if I don't use that aircraft.
Yes, I would update a 737-800, King-Air 350 or a Lear Jet.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 11:28:51 pm »
The Live Update isn't going to update anything you don't actually own, so I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. GSX is an FSDreamteam product, which is why the Live Update checks for GSX updates and updates GSX accordingly. It only checks for updates for FSDreamteam products. It might also check for updates for anything else that uses the Add-on Manager, but this I'm not too sure about. It certainly wouldn't check for updates for the PMDG 747, for instance. The February 7th update might have been for that one airport, but if you ran the Live Update and didn't own that airport, all it did was check that all your FSDreamteam add-ons were up to date and nothing more. It didn't actually update anything if you didn't own that airport.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 02:02:36 pm »
It seems you don't fully understand how the FSDT Live Update works. It will only update files related to FSDT product you have installed. Nothing else. If we publish an update for, let's say, Basel, but you don't have it installed, it won't download anything, because the scenery it's just not there.

bcm652

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 02:47:51 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up. I guess that I was primarily interested in GSX L2 updates instead of airports.
By the way, how is the update coming along  for passengers walking to and from the terminal for smaller aircraft like the King Air 350 and Lear Jet. Just asking.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 02:51:58 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up. I guess that I was primarily interested in GSX L2 updates instead of airports.

Do you mean you wanted to decide which *parts* of a GSX L2 update you want to install ? What's for ?

It would just make the Live Update more cumbersome to use, because you would then have to *wonder* which updates are required and which are not, and it's really not your job, as an user, since we almost invariably share files between objects so you cannot possibly know if, choosing NOT to update something, might eventually cause a problem to something else.

By the way, how is the update coming along  for passengers walking to and from the terminal for smaller aircraft like the King Air 350 and Lear Jet. Just asking.

There aren't any news to announce yet. When we'll have something new, it will be announced everywhere.

bcm652

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 04:28:26 pm »
Deciding which parts of GSX L2 to update was my original thought. After looking at it, all GSX updates are primarily airport utilities which are helpful. I don't have any FSDT Airports and as you pointed out, without them, no files would download anyway. Now I know.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 05:48:56 pm »
Deciding which parts of GSX L2 to update was my original thought. After looking at it, all GSX updates are primarily airport utilities which are helpful. I don't have any FSDT Airports and as you pointed out, without them, no files would download anyway. Now I know.
That's what I've been trying to tell you the entire time.
Captain Kevin