Author Topic: GSX file caused P3D v3.4 CTD  (Read 1666 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
GSX file caused P3D v3.4 CTD
« on: February 25, 2020, 10:18:27 am »
Hi Umberto,

I appreciate the topic title may appear I'm pointing a finger at GSX but that is not my intention. I have both P3D v3.4 and P3D v4.5 installed and GSX & Extended runs on both sims.

Over the last 3 months when flying FS Labs Concorde-X in P3D v3.4 it would CTD at various locations when airborne. To try and resolve the problem I wiped my P3D v3.4 install and installed a new version. But still the crashes continued. But only in v3. v4 was fine but obviously Concorde isn't installed in that version. They didn't when flying a default aircraft which made me think the problem lay with the latest release of FSL Concorde.

But no-one else with that version had the problem so it had to be something on my system. It was only after Andrew Wilson of FSL mentioned he had a similar problem with the Airbus and suggested uninstalling GSX and SODE. Initially I just disabled those two applications from running but still the CTDs continued.

It was only after uninstalling GSX yesterday the problem was solved. During the uninstall a message box appeared advising two files had reverted to default. I didn't make a note of them so don't know what or where these files are.

Andrew said that reinstalling GSX didn't cause the CTDs to reoccur so it looks like one of them was corrupted somehow. I should add that no entry was created in Event Viewer when P3D CTD which is odd.

Can you advise which files were changed please. I will be reinstalling GSX / Extended later today.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

dwadsworth

Re: GSX file caused P3D v3.4 CTD
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 08:55:12 pm »
Ray,

Thank you for helping me resolve the same problem.  I could not complete a flight more than about 1.5 hours of flight time without the silent CTD. No events, no messages, just P3D freezing and dying as a non-responsive program.  

I have not yet reinstalled GSX, but intend to in the future.

I also saw the same messages when uninstalling.  I could not tell which files were being refreshed.

Regards,

Dave Wadsworth
Dave Wadsworth

i9 9900KS OC 5.0 32G DDR4000 nVidia 2080TI 
Win 10 2004 Pro 1 P3DV5HF2  ASP/ASCA ProATC/X FS2Crew/TIR5/CP/MCE

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 10:14:38 pm »
It was only after uninstalling GSX yesterday the problem was solved. During the uninstall a message box appeared advising two files had reverted to default. I didn't make a note of them so don't know what or where these files are.

The only files from the sim the GSX installer changes on installation and restore while uninstalling, is the default airport objects, to disable the default jetway model, and the default airport vehicles, to disable the default pushback truck model.

It's very unlikely that just patching these would cause any problems, they might have been corrupted by something else *after* installing GSX so, GSX "fixed" that corruption caused by something else with its Uninstaller.

Andrew said that reinstalling GSX didn't cause the CTDs to reoccur so it looks like one of them was corrupted somehow.

At least this proves GSX was never the problem to begin with. A corrupted file in the simulator itelf might be and it surely couldn't be corrupted by GSX, otherwise the problem would have happened again when reinstalling.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:16:27 pm by virtuali »

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 10:17:16 pm »
Hi Dave. Glad I was able to help. I’d had this problem for nearly three months and was tearing my hair out wondering what the cause could be. So hearing from Umberto with his views will be interesting.

You have to question why a sophisticated OS like Windows 10 cannot present the user with an error report. But perhaps that’s down to P3D v3 to capture it. Who knows? Not very good really when computers have been around so long.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:37:32 pm »

The only files from the sim the GSX installer changes on installation and restore while uninstalling, is the default airport objects, to disable the default jetway model, and the default airport vehicles, to disable the default pushback truck model.

It's very unlikely that just patching these would cause any problems, they might have been corrupted by something else *after* installing GSX so, GSX "fixed" that corruption caused by something else with its Uninstaller.

Andrew said that reinstalling GSX didn't cause the CTDs to reoccur so it looks like one of them was corrupted somehow.

At least this proves GSX was never the problem to begin with. A corrupted file in the simulator itelf might be and it surely couldn't be corrupted by GSX, otherwise the problem would have happened again when reinstalling.

Hi Umberto. I agree it’s a very rare occurrence although Dave has also suffered the same problem. It will probably never happen again but it caused me so much grief over 3 months I wanted to let you know. I’ve uninstalled all my FSDT products today and installed them again so I doubt we’ll ever discuss this again. Thanks for the info provided.
Cheers,
Ray.