Author Topic: I don't have any airplanes now  (Read 1553 times)

MTR1768

I don't have any airplanes now
« on: February 17, 2020, 05:16:40 pm »
I saw a YouTube video that showed some great options using GSX so I downloaded  it (gsx_fsx_setup) on a trial basis. I activated it and turned it on and ran SE FSX (on Windows 10). To my suprise, there are NO airplanes to select from, only helicopters. I have been looking for a way to uninstall it but haven't found the procedure yet. So, 2 questions,

1. Will GFX run on SE FSX, and
2. How do I uninstall GFX?

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: I don't have any airplanes now
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 05:40:26 pm »
This question doesn't have anything to do with GSX, of course, since nothing in GSX would have any effect on the number of installed airplanes in your sim, and nobody ever reported this before.

Of course, GSX can be uninstalled ( not that this would change anything, since GSX surely hasn't removed your airplanes ) like any other Windows program, from the Control Panel.

And yes, of course works with FSX:SE, otherwise you wouldn't even be able to install it.

MTR1768

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 07:48:03 pm »
The only reason that I thought that GSX caused the problem was that everything worked quite well BEFORE I installed GSX and after the installation I didn't have any airplanes to select from. I obviously am not very knowledgeable about this (from the tone of your answer) so perhaps you can suggest a better reason for this. I would love to be able to use, and buy, GSX so if you could be more helpful I know that FSDT would appreciate it and I would too!

MTR1768

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 02:17:32 am »
OK, here is the solution. When GSX is installed the FSX.cfg file is modified to have simobjects point to the proper GSX directory. When GSX is uninstalled, FSX.cfg is NOT modified back. I corrected the entries back to the original and now SE:FSX runs as before.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 01:20:56 pm »
When GSX is installed the FSX.cfg file is modified to have simobjects point to the proper GSX directory

When GSX is installed, the FSX.CFG file is modified to ADD its own Simobject paths to the *existing* paths so, it will surely not remove the standard airplanes, but will add them to it.

When GSX is uninstalled, FSX.cfg is NOT modified back. I corrected the entries back to the original and now SE:FSX runs as before.

That's not an error, of course. Since the Simobject in the Addon Manager folder are shared by all FSDT products, just uninstalling GSX won't remove their path, otherwise the sceneries won't work anymore. However, this couldn't possibly result in your default objects ( Airplanes, etc. ), because as I've said, the paths to the GSX objects were ADDED to the existing paths, not replaced.

The only possible explanation for the paths to your original objects being removed, is that your FSX.CFG was already corrupted, or contained any kind of syntax error, usually resulting from having edited by hand, but also by being corrupted by 3rd party utilities that access to it.

GSX surely cannot be the cause, since nobody ever reported losing his airplanes "just" by installing GSX.