Author Topic: GSX Menu disappears after change of Aircraft **SOLVED**  (Read 5375 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Menu disappears after change of Aircraft
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 10:28:17 pm »
Yes i agree. Its the update 7 Feb that's causing the problem. Was working fine before that.

No, it's not, otherwise it would cause problems to everybody ( several ten of thousands of users ), not just the handful of people that posted in this thread.

Also don't use antivirus, only windows defender

Then you ARE using an antivirus. That's what Windows Defender it.

and have all the appropriate folders excluded

Antivirus is not the only issue. The other might be a firewall that is blocking the update to download *ALL* files. If some files are download and some not, a mixup between old/new files will very likely prevent the software from starting.

This has been going on too long now and we need a fix.

We cannot fix what we cannot reproduce, and what nobody except just a few people are experiencing. We surely need more data. I'll ask the same:

- Is GSX not STARTING up, on the first start of the sim ?

OR

- Is GSX not RE-STARTING after switching an airplane ?

They are totally different things, and knowing that it's important to understand what's the problem, on your system

rdlepage

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 12:03:36 am »
Just did a complete uninstall of all FSDT airports and GSX plus addon manager. Also deleted any left over folders and files related to virtuali and addon manager.
Re installed GSX only and it loads on P3D startup every time using default F22 flight or Saved third party aircraft flights.

GSX crashes if I select restart Couatl although not every time. Before GSX wouldn't start on the first start of the sim 9 out of 10 times.
Much better now although not perfect, at least I can use GSX again as long as I don't restart Couatl. I wont attempt the live update at the moment as that was what caused the problems last time.
Hopefully when the Live update is next updated it will work as it did previously.

What would cause the restarting Couatl crash? Seems more likely to happen with third party aircraft eg. PMDG or FSLABS than default aircraft.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 12:11:59 am »
I wont attempt the live update at the moment as that was what caused the problems last time.

You said you reinstalled GSX. The installer runs Live Update at the end, so you already ran the current Live Update, clearly proving the Live Update wasn't the problem to begin with it ( I was sure of this ).

The only thing different the GSX installer does, it recreates the add-on.xml and calls the P3D command-line services to add it to the list of packages in the add-ons.cfg ( the Live Update doesn't do that, since it's assumed you already installed something ) which means, if something altered/corrupted either the add-ons.cfg or the add-on.xml for GSX, the GSX installer would fix it, since it created it again from scratch.

That the only explanation compatible with your report that running the Live Update didn't fix, but reinstalling ( which is the same as Install + Live Update ) did.

rdlepage

Re: GSX Menu disappears after change of Aircraft **SOLVED**
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 08:52:23 pm »
Just ran the live update. Appears to be working correctly now.
Just done about 10 restarts and no crashes. So this problem only affected us users in the UK then.
Many thanks for eventually getting the problem fixed.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 10:00:28 pm »
So this problem only affected us users in the UK then.
Wasn't just UK users, but several others around the world. Looks like some people in Germany and Switzerland also had this issue.
Captain Kevin

wegerlee

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 05:29:40 pm »
Loaded the lates update and working without a problem.  Just to let you know.  Thanks Elmar

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 07:38:23 am »
Wasn't just UK users, but several others around the world. Looks like some people in Germany and Switzerland also had this issue.

It affected all users that had their regional settings set to a country that has a certain language, but it's not the "original" country that language comes from. So, for example, German (Switzerland) had the problem, but German (Germany) didn't,  Italian (Switzerland) had the problem, but Italian (Italy) didn't.

The real reason it's what looks like a Windows bug: those countries all use the 24 hours time format, but Windows incorrectly sets the AM/PM postfix to the hour format, which is wrong if a country uses the 24 hours format, and this likely confused some part of the code that checks the time, most likely not even in our own code, but in the 3rd party library that handles online activation.

UK setting was also affected, either because it's not universally accepted if the 24 hours is used there, or simply because Microsoft might consider English as "originating" from the US, at least from the point of view of Windows, so English ( UK ) was considered a variant, like Swiss-Italian, Swiss-German, Swiss-French, etc. so it was affected by the same bug, because UK is also set as using 24 hours time format, but there's the AM/PM added to it.

Since most of our users are in the US ( with Germany possibly the 2nd ), and those two settings weren't affected, and I couldn't replicate the problem, because even if I'm located in Switzerland, I'm using Italian ( Italy ) as my settings, because my keyboard has the Italian layout, it took a couple of days to find it, until an user found what it was, so we fixed it.