Author Topic: Invisible object while landing on runway 10L  (Read 5652 times)

SpaceyWarrior

Invisible object while landing on runway 10L
« on: February 06, 2020, 04:40:27 pm »
Hey all! I've been flying to KORD since i bought it like a month ago, but yesterday was my first time landing on RWY10L, at about 50ft AGL the aircraft simply gets plummeted into the ground, teleported, per se.

Exactly like this topic: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,22591.0.html, i have a video of that, i can also upload it, it looks the same.

I'm using ORBX, a bunch of addon airports that i've had before KORD and flying the PMDG 747-8F with maxed out scenery settings.
When i set my mesh res from 1m to 5m, i was able to land with autoland without any issues (although i must test that again), however if i set it to 1m and i land, the same will happen. Sometimes i actually reach the runway and touchdown, then suddenly the nose slams.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Invisible object while landing on runway 10L
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 04:53:59 pm »
We surely don't have that bump in our mesh, which is flattened all over the airport perimeter. However, if you have other mesh with a nominally higher resolution ( regardless if it's real or not ), they will always display, even if they are on a lower layer in the scenery area.

Also, when you set the mesh to a value that is too high, higher than the real value of the underlying mesh, the simulator will create artifacts and terrain spikes which are caused by rounding errors in oversampling data that it's not there or, in case of 3rd party meshes, by objects on ground that has been taken by the satellite antenna, which result in bumps.

Set it to 5 mt/pixel, because at 1 mt/pixel you are just putting extra strain on your system without any real benefit, and you get those artifacts as well.

SpaceyWarrior

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:59:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply! So as far as i know i don't have any custom mesh, ORBX doesn't even replace the default mesh, so what could be the issue? What bugs me is that the KORD V2 manual specifies we should use 1m mesh res so why should i set it to 5?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 05:07:01 pm by SpaceyWarrior »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 09:48:07 pm »
We said to set it to 1mt, because it's the maximum resolution we have in the mesh that comes with the airport, and in a default installation, there are no problems landing on 10L.

Note that, this can be also *possibly* caused by your system too much overloaded because of too high settings. The simulator load meshes progressively, and it does it using spare cpu cycles, so the more your system is taxed, the more time it takes to build the mesh to its proper resolution, so you might have hit a bump because it wasn't completed yet.

That's why lowering settings helped, since the 5 mt mesh was easier, and thus faster to create.

SpaceyWarrior

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 10:39:19 am »
I can disregard CPU because it actually doesn't even max out on the approach. Thing is this issue is old, very old and it's noted on the P3D forums (Despite having no attention from the devs), it can happen in a number of airports, mostly payware with a big aircraft such as the 747 or C130.
What caught my attention was that the ORBX manuals say that it doesn't add a new mesh BUT that it REQUIRES a mesh resolution of 5m although i don't understand why.

I found this on the ORBX manuals:
"5m terrain mesh resolution is the slider
setting that all Orbx regions and airports are
designed for. That being said, using either
10m or 2m are also unlikely to lead to any
major display issues unless you look very
closely. Since the slider setting governs the
horizontal spacing of mesh grid points this
value primarily affects the steepness of
slopes adjacent to flattened areas at airports
or lakes and rivers. If objects are placed on or
next to such slopes they can shift a bit."

This issue has been reported on a number of payware airports and i have encountered it several times. But one that particularly catches my attention is ELLX, when landing on RWY 06L, the payware developer put something inside a hole next to the runway, and it causes that problem to happen. I believe the way P3D handles collisions is directly affected by this.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6314&t=131079&sid=bcf15675b8a8c9097e788c64a9361f5a This thread has a number of tests and people who have done a lot of research in this. Maybe this could help FSDT understand what could be colliding with the 747 and perhaps offer a fix, assuming that's even possible.

Now i have tested the KORD 10L approach many times, i have a video of the EXACT moment that collision happens and i believe it's the objects right next to the runway that are doing that, i can upload the video if it helps.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:07:29 am by SpaceyWarrior »

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 01:18:27 pm »
When you say collisions, are you talking about crash detection? I've always just turned that off. Nothing like flying a long flight only to crash into an invisible wall on final (some add-on airports have this for some reason), or flying online and getting hit by another plane who has no idea what he's doing.
Captain Kevin

SpaceyWarrior

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 03:36:45 pm »
I believe this is related to collisions, if you enable crash detection on RWY 10L you'll get the "crash" screen.
If you turn if off, like i do, your aircraft will simply be teleported into the ground like in the video.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 03:57:40 pm »
What caught my attention was that the ORBX manuals say that it doesn't add a new mesh BUT that it REQUIRES a mesh resolution of 5m although i don't understand why.

Haven't you said this ?

When i set my mesh res from 1m to 5m, i was able to land with autoland without any issues

So, OrbX says you must use 5mt, you said it works for you at KORD as well, so what's the problem ?