Author Topic: Muted Couatl Scripting Engine  (Read 2539 times)

david roch

Muted Couatl Scripting Engine
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:00:38 am »
Hi Umberto,
Recently I have noted that Couatl Scripting Engine is muted every time I launch P3D.
Not a big deal as I switch it ON via Windows sound mixer, but quite weird.
All my FSDT products are updated.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Grazie mille,
David

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Muted Couatl Scripting Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 09:51:03 am »
Cannot reproduce it, but it seems to be caused by a Windows setting. See the various suggestions here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/547541-prepar3d-v44-lowering-the-sound-from-background-apps/

david roch

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 01:54:46 pm »
Thank you.
No, the sound is not lowered but completely muted and none of the solutions I've read is working.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 02:16:22 pm »
No, the sound is not lowered but completely muted and none of the solutions I've read is working.

The only thing sure, nothing in GSX can cause this, since we don't use your audio device directly. We ask OpenAL to supply a list of valid audio devices, OpenAL will ask to DirectSound, DirectSound will ask your Windows drivers.

There's nothing in the whole GSX code that allows to mute/unmute the audio device, the only thing you can do from GSX is lower/raise the volume, but there's no mute command so, it's must be happening outside GSX.

david roch

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 02:48:37 pm »
I understand.
It probably comes from my rig, I have recently upgraded my sound card.
The weird thing is that it only happens with Couatl.
Thanks anyway.
I will report here if I find a solution.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 04:50:01 pm »
The weird thing is that it only happens with Couatl.

It's likely happening with other OpenAL apps, and you might not have any other than that.

Ankh

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 12:58:02 pm »
From time to time I experience this as well, usually if there is a bigger W10 update or any update related to my Creative Sound Card. It is really annoying, but at least the known fix works so far:

- go into the sound control panel and select "do nothing" if not already selected and click on apply.
- if "do nothing" is already selected, I always have to click once on another setting, e.g. "reduce 50%", click on apply and then switch back to "do nothing" and again click on apply.

This usually cures it. But it is reappearing, as I wrote, from time to time. Problem is, I guess, the bad driver from Creative. I do not understand why they still do not get their W10 drivers right, and although the sound card I use is still actively sold, there is no official W10 driver for it. Really bad by Creative...

david roch

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 02:27:24 pm »
Well I have disabled my Creative card and reinstalled the Realtech software but it makes no difference.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 02:03:22 am »
I can only repeat and confirm it doesn't happen with the Realtek audio. Again, see the various suggestions posted here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/547541-prepar3d-v44-lowering-the-sound-from-background-apps/