Author Topic: 2 questions re parking selection and marshaller  (Read 2392 times)

iforrage

2 questions re parking selection and marshaller
« on: January 20, 2020, 08:07:55 pm »
1)  I've noticed that when selecting parking with AI traffic enabled while in the air, it does not show any gate as being occupied.  This only happens when requesting parking on the ground.  Any way to fix this or is this one of those "gotchas"?

2)  When customizing parking, is there a way to select the marshaller that stands on the stairs?  Haven't been able to find it.

This, of course, is in P3D v4.5.

Thanks,

Jesse
-Jesse

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: 2 questions re parking selection and marshaller
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:22:46 am »
1)  I've noticed that when selecting parking with AI traffic enabled while in the air, it does not show any gate as being occupied.  This only happens when requesting parking on the ground.  Any way to fix this or is this one of those "gotchas"?

I think this was made intentionally, because it might not very useful knowing the status of a parking spot so much in advance, since it would likely change by the time you land.

2)  When customizing parking, is there a way to select the marshaller that stands on the stairs?  Haven't been able to find it.

You mean the precise kind of guy ? No, it's random. Not entirely random, it's depending on weather, if the marshaller is one that supports multiseasonal clothing.

iforrage

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 09:08:14 pm »
I think this was made intentionally, because it might not very useful knowing the status of a parking spot so much in advance, since it would likely change by the time you land.

OK, makes sense.

You mean the precise kind of guy ? No, it's random. Not entirely random, it's depending on weather, if the marshaller is one that supports multiseasonal clothing.

No, I mean the one that is standing on stairs to guide in large aircraft.  There's certain situations at some airports where the aircraft parks too close to the terminal for the marshaller to be visible at a closer distance, and I'd like to be able to select the stairs option when editing the parking so he can be seen.
-Jesse

iforrage

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 12:22:44 am »
Like this:
-Jesse

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 09:14:40 am »
That's not a separate kind of guy, is the same marshaller, but it's being placed on a ladder, because the program has calculated that, based on your eyepoint and the stop position, you wouldn't be able to see him, so a ladder is used, just as in real life.

Of course, the Stop position, as calculated by GSX, might not be very accurate, not because GSX makes wrong calculations, but because the only data it can use, lacking an airport customization, is the scenery AFCAD, and the only thing the AFCAD provides, is the center of the parking, which is far too limited information to allow GSX to calculate a realistic Stop Position that would work with different airplane types.

Of course, you can customize all of this, both the Stop Position ( which, when customized, can be separated from the AFCAD parking center ) AND the Marshaller position, so you can place them both in a way that it won't force the Marshaller to be placed on a ladder if it's not required.

I suggest reading the "Understanding the Stop Positions" chapter in the GSX manual.

iforrage

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 03:02:38 am »
OK, I get it.  So, as long as he's too close to the aircraft to be seen, it will automatically put him on stairs, then?  Thanks!
-Jesse