Author Topic: MSAA KORD?  (Read 3512 times)

B777ER

MSAA KORD?
« on: January 18, 2020, 03:16:26 am »
Umberto, any chance you all are considering the MSAA treatment you all did for Basel? I would reinstall and use your version if the below option was available. The shimmering is just to much as it stands now so I use DD version. I will not go up above x8 MSAA.

- Normal maps for MSAA setting further toned down to reduce shimmering
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: MSAA KORD?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 12:35:40 pm »
We'll look into this, after the release of 4.5 HF2, which solved the problem of SSAA not working, complains about KORD stopped almost immediately so, now that users should probably understood what the real problem was ( bug in P3D pre-HF2 and/or hardware not capable to use SSAA ), we might do an alternate texture set for KORD available through Live Update to be installed automatically.

In any case, we already posted an alternate texture on the forum a month ago:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,22045.msg152568.html#msg152568

But I'm still firmly convinced this is not the proper solution, since it makes the textures less realistic and not physically accurate anymore.

B777ER

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 04:29:59 pm »
We'll look into this, after the release of 4.5 HF2, which solved the problem of SSAA not working, complains about KORD stopped almost immediately so, now that users should probably understood what the real problem was ( bug in P3D pre-HF2 and/or hardware not capable to use SSAA ), we might do an alternate texture set for KORD available through Live Update to be installed automatically.

In any case, we already posted an alternate texture on the forum a month ago:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,22045.msg152568.html#msg152568

But I'm still firmly convinced this is not the proper solution, since it makes the textures less realistic and not physically accurate anymore.

So,  tried the normal maps for the ground textures and they look so much better in the sim compared with the ones they replaced. Sure would be nice to have the option to do that with the rest of the buildings, etc.... textures. Hope you all give it serious consideration. Thanks
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 12:41:54 pm »
So,  tried the normal maps for the ground textures and they look so much better in the sim compared with the ones they replaced. Sure would be nice to have the option to do that with the rest of the buildings, etc.... textures. Hope you all give it serious consideration.

I think the flat textures looks very bad and, since the problem with shimmering mostly happening at night with landing lights on, the most we'll do is to do a similar thing as we did for Basel, and have the Live Updater installing the flat GROUND textures only (those you could download from that link), if SSAA is not enabled in the sim, that's it.

Redoing the whole texture set and destroy the PBR, not an option.