Author Topic: Live Update hangs on Download of Couatl.exe **SOLVED**  (Read 5563 times)

roadrabbit

Live Update hangs on Download of Couatl.exe **SOLVED**
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:49:21 am »
The subject line says it all: download of Live Update hangs at <Couatl.exe>.

Any help appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:46:38 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Live Update hangs on Download of Couatl.exe
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 01:40:06 pm »
The Live Update hasn't hanged.

Your antivirus has probably stopped it, either because it's trying to scan it, or because it simply blocked it, mistakenly assuming it's a threat, when in fact it's an antivirus bug, that doesn't recognize the two digital signatures the .exe has, which are made precisely to prevent antivirus programs to catch false positives. But not all antivirus respect that.

That's why, we always suggest to configure the antivirus to exclude the whole Addon Manager folder from scanning.

briansommers

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 02:02:30 pm »
Maybe you guys can help me.

Where did you download the live update program in the first place?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:14:03 pm »
It comes with every FSDT product, there's no need to download it separately.

roadrabbit

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 11:47:22 pm »
Problem was solved by complete uninstall (including ALL files/folders left behind after using 'Unistall'). This would suggest to me that it has nothing to do with any anti-virus program (I live dangerously and switch my anti-virus OFF when using my flight sim).

However, both programs, GSX and the Expansion Pack, now start in 'Trial Mode' and require re-registering every time I restart my computer OR restart P3Dv4.5. This is a nuisance,but it at least they recognise my valid key code. Is there a way I can avoid having to re-register each time like this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 02:12:35 pm »
Problem was solved by complete uninstall (including ALL files/folders left behind after using 'Unistall'). This would suggest to me that it has nothing to do with any anti-virus program.

It was surely your antivirus, no questions about it.

(I live dangerously and switch my anti-virus OFF when using my flight sim)

Then you cannot be sure you don't have a real virus instead. Also, I personally witnessed several antivirus products that STILL continued to block files, even if the LOOKED "switched off", because their Windows service was still running, even if the antivirus seemed to be turned off.

That's why we never suggested to turn it off, but to add the whole "Addon Manager" folder to the Exclusion list.

However, both programs, GSX and the Expansion Pack, now start in 'Trial Mode' and require re-registering every time I restart my computer OR restart P3Dv4.5. This is a nuisance,but it at least they recognise my valid key code. Is there a way I can avoid having to re-register each time like this?

That's not normal either, and it can either caused by the antivirus, or but can also caused by a problem with your user account. Try all the following:

- add the whole "Addon Manager" folder to the Exclusion list.

- run the FSDT LIve Update again

- RESTART WINDOWS

- DEACTIVATE from the Addon Manager, and Reactivate

roadrabbit

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:42:47 am »
OK, so my next problem is that I use McAfee Total Protection. When I go to Exclude it only seems to allow me to exclude files, not folders. Does this mean I have to open every folder and sub-folder and add each and every file at each step? This seems a very heavy task.

This problem has only come up since I did the update via Live Update last week. Before this it all worked fine with none of these problems.

Thanks for all and any assistance.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 10:24:03 am »
OK, so my next problem is that I use McAfee Total Protection. When I go to Exclude it only seems to allow me to exclude files, not folders. Does this mean I have to open every folder and sub-folder and add each and every file at each step? This seems a very heavy task.

This is what I found by googling "mcafee exclude folder"

https://download.mcafee.com/products/webhelp/5/affid/756/1033/GUID-BA648B78-244A-47F1-8AD6-4A57BA8955BC.html

This problem has only come up since I did the update via Live Update last week. Before this it all worked fine with none of these problems.

Try this first, follow the previously listed procedure, and report back.

roadrabbit

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 07:04:10 pm »
I think it is talking about a different McAfee product as the reference to a <Excluded Files and Folders drawer> is odd: McAfee Total Protection does not have this 'drawer'. The nearest thing is when I open the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware drawer it shows an Excluded Files sub-drawer. I can only add files to this list, but cannot add folders.

After some searching I did find a quarantined file <ftxc2_localdata.zip>, but this was in C:>Microsoft Games> Microsoft Flight Simulator X> ORBX> Scripts so don't think it relevant (I could be wrong!). I did exclude this file but it did not stop my problem with having to re-register GSX etc.

I am going to phone McAfee and see what they say.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:50:02 pm by roadrabbit »

roadrabbit

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 10:52:23 am »
Some more information:

When I open the Add0n Manager and re-register the serial number for both GSX and GSX Level 2 Expansion and click on the <Save to Prepar 3D v4> key, it asks me to exit P3Dv4 and restart P3Dv4. When I do this, both programs remain ACTIVE.

If I shut down and re-boot my PC both programs revert to TRIAL MODE.

[Previously (  :-[ ) I had not been clicking on the <Save to Prepar 3D v4> key -  had thought that was only needed when using the TWEAK windows.]

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 08:16:10 pm »
When I open the Add0n Manager and re-register the serial number for both GSX and GSX Level 2 Expansion and click on the <Save to Prepar 3D v4> key, it asks me to exit P3Dv4 and restart P3Dv4. When I do this, both programs remain ACTIVE.

The "Save to Prepar3D V4" button doesn't have *anything* to do with activation. It's one and only use, is to allow you to enable those tweaks, to be saved in the Prepar3D.cfg, but none of them could possibly have anything to do with the activation.

I wonder if it's your real issue might be you are just exiting and re-entering in the simulator too quickly, while all open files from the previous session were still closing, and saving the eventual tweaks to the prepar3d.cfg ( no tweaks are saved, unless they are enabled ), somehow fixes this.

roadrabbit

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 01:53:15 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried to be *slow* in closing P3Dv4 then restarting, but still the same result.

I note that in the Install Guide that it states quite explicitly that I will have TWO activation keys: one for GSX and one for GSX Expansion Level 2. I only have ONE key, which works toactivate both programs.

Another point is that in the Insall Guide it tells metoenetr the activation key using Copy/Paste, yet when activating via Addon Manager it staes quite explicitly NOT to dothis, but enter the key by typing it in. Whatever, I have tried both methods without curing the registeration problem.

My next option is to do a complete Uninstall - then a clean Re-Install. What do you think?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 02:20:32 pm »
I note that in the Install Guide that it states quite explicitly that I will have TWO activation keys: one for GSX and one for GSX Expansion Level 2. I only have ONE key, which works toactivate both programs.

That's explains it all. Yes, of course, the manual is correct, and if you bought GSX and GSX L2, you are supposed to have two activation keys, it's normal that trying to use the same for both wouldn't work.

Are you sure you bought GSX L2 ? I checked the orders registered to your email and/or name, and I can only see an order for GSX and Zurich, made on the same day. Please contact support by email, so we can verify this.

roadrabbit

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 11:23:23 pm »
                                                      :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

How embarassing! I really thought I had bought the GSX Level 2 Expansion, but apparently not.

I have now bought and installed it and, of course, it works perfectly.

Apologies to all who have been following this and whose time I have wasted, especially Umberto at Vituali - I owe you big time!

There were a couple of minor odd things: for example it could not add a font, <FSDT_ttf> to C:\Windows\Fonts. I ignored the warning that skipping this was not recommended, and did skip this file. A couple of other warning messages came up, but they disappeared after a few seconds and the rest of the installation and registration proceeded as advertised. I have exited P3Dv4, shut down my computer, and then rebooted and reloaded: both GSX and GSX Level 2 Expansion now load in ACTIVE state.

I shall now wind my neck in and go flying!   8)