Author Topic: Jetway and P/B: too many options  (Read 6786 times)

goggi

Re: Jetway and P/B: too many options
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 03:32:35 pm »
Maybe you should also care about a frendlier customer care.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 03:43:15 pm »
Good. Let the crews crouch, as I've already shown in my previous screenshots.

Of course they will, since they look good and nobody ever found them a problem, in the 7 years GSX has been out.

I have no idea how tall a 737 door really is, too, but I seriously doubt the real ones do ... pax themselves should crouch too. If their height is adequate, removing the crouch should be enough.

The obvious reason for having the crouch animation, is that we cannot possibly sure if you'll use an airplane with an even lower door. In fact, some users asked to add the crouch animation to passengers too, since on some airplanes, the door really requires it.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 04:33:21 pm »
3) Please clarify this.
What I meant is ... can we have an option so that the "operate stairs" is issued automatically after an "operate jetways" command has taken place ?

I'm kind of curious as to why you would want to operate the stairs in the first place if you're already using a jetway. I don't know too many places where they would be doing this.
In the first place ? I didn't say that.
I did say I would love to have the stairs automatically connected soon after I have connected the jetway.
Most FS gates with jetways don't have external stairs of their own, so having some stairs connected to the aft doors allow ground access. Cleaning crews outta use them, I don't think they board - like passengers - from inside the terminal ... do they ?
Pretty sure the cleaning crew shows up in a truck that raises up to the door like the catering truck does, so they wouldn't even need stairs at all. In all my years of flying, admittedly almost entirely in the United States, I have never seen stairs AND a jetway be used at the same time.
Good. Let the crews crouch, as I've already shown in my previous screenshots. I have no idea how tall a 737 door really is, too, but I seriously doubt the real ones do ... pax themselves should crouch too. If their height is adequate, removing the crouch should be enough.
Fun fact: Doorway of the left forward entry door on a 737 is 34 x 72 inches. Doorway of the left aft entry door on a 737 is 30 x 72 inches. Doorway of the service doors on the right side on a 737 is 30 x 65 inches. 65 inches is 5'5". So yes, the crew would, in fact, have to crouch in order to avoid hitting the door. In fact, whenever I board a 737, I have to duck down, so I don't slam my head into the doorway (already found this out the hard way on one flight when I hadn't quite ducked down far enough and actually got stuck in the doorway, friend had to push me out of the way).
I have no idea how tall a 737 door really is, and if it's required to crouch to enter in real life, but that's besides the point.
I just checked, you actually do have to for the service doors since they're only 65 inches tall. Even as a passenger, I have to in order to avoid hitting my head against the top of the doorway.
Captain Kevin

Sabretooth78

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 04:50:26 pm »
Pretty sure the cleaning crew shows up in a truck that raises up to the door like the catering truck does, so they wouldn't even need stairs at all. In all my years of flying, admittedly almost entirely in the United States, I have never seen stairs AND a jetway be used at the same time.

This is probably by biggest (and admittedly minor) gripe with GSX - I would like an option to have stairs automatically suppressed at all jetway-equipped gates.  Failing that, I'll just continue to do as I currently do - ignore them!  (With the exception of a handful of airports where I have edited the GSX gates to specifically disable them.)

eremusfly

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 05:48:12 pm »
Fun fact: Doorway of the left forward entry door on a 737 is 34 x 72 inches. Doorway of the left aft entry door on a 737 is 30 x 72 inches. Doorway of the service doors on the right side on a 737 is 30 x 65 inches. 65 inches is 5'5". So yes, the crew would, in fact, have to crouch in order to avoid hitting the door. In fact, whenever I board a 737, I have to duck down, so I don't slam my head into the doorway (already found this out the hard way on one flight when I hadn't quite ducked down far enough and actually got stuck in the doorway, friend had to push me out of the way).
I just checked, you actually do have to for the service doors since they're only 65 inches tall. Even as a passenger, I have to in order to avoid hitting my head against the top of the doorway.

THIS is the kind of EXACT answer I was looking for ! Now - and only now - we know why it's as real as it gets.
Finishing touch, I will look for some real B737 catering action videclip on YouTube ...
NO PROBLEM to say I AM SORRY about bothering with this !

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 11:26:27 pm »

THIS is the kind of EXACT answer I was looking for ! Now - and only now - we know why it's as real as it gets.
Finishing touch, I will look for some real B737 catering action videclip on YouTube ...
NO PROBLEM to say I AM SORRY about bothering with this !

Found a couple for you for your interest.

1:00 into this one. He has to duck slightly to get inside.
&t=60s

2:56 into this one. The one dude didn't really have to duck because he wasn't all that tall, but you can see that the doorway is slightly shorter than the girl that's already inside. If she were to walk out that door, she would have had to duck.
&t=176s

1:53 into this one. You can clearly see him having to duck to get inside.
&t=113s
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:28:19 am by virtuali »
Captain Kevin

eremusfly

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 12:11:05 am »
Great. Thanks !

eremusfly

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 12:31:55 am »
I watched them all. Plus I found on the web some charts where it looks like Boeing did lower right exits for the 737s and 757s, whilst they are the same on both sides for the 767s and 777s. Found nothing about the Dreamliner.
The way the real crews bend their neck a little forward to duck under these doors is nevertheless different from the funny move the sim people do when they bend their knees ... amen

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 06:00:46 am »
I watched them all. Plus I found on the web some charts where it looks like Boeing did lower right exits for the 737s and 757s, whilst they are the same on both sides for the 767s and 777s. Found nothing about the Dreamliner.
I'm pretty sure the door sizes are all the same for the Boeing widebody jets.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 01:21:58 pm »
The way the real crews bend their neck a little forward to duck under these doors is nevertheless different from the funny move the sim people do when they bend their knees ...

That's because you are still using FSX.

The catering crew guy in P3D4 not only looks way better, as it was clear in my two comparison screenshots, but it also better animated, because P3D allows more realistic human animations, since it can use up to 128 bones for each skeleton, opposite to FSX max of 22, which resulted in stiffer/less realistic animations.

eremusfly

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 07:16:12 pm »
Good to know. But I think I will jump from FSX to MSFS2020.

Avionixz

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 09:14:27 pm »

This is probably by biggest (and admittedly minor) gripe with GSX - I would like an option to have stairs automatically suppressed at all jetway-equipped gates.  Failing that, I'll just continue to do as I currently do - ignore them!  (With the exception of a handful of airports where I have edited the GSX gates to specifically disable them.)

This is actually different in the UK, and probably Europe, at least.

Airbridge is attached as well as steps at the rear of the aircraft (Airbridge on L1, and steps on L2 on a 737 for example), mainly for use as an escape in the event of an emergency which is required whilst refuelling. But services such as cleaners use this access too.