Author Topic: Error loading Coualt  (Read 7607 times)

airmed7

Error loading Coualt
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:25:38 pm »
The following error occurs when starting FSX.  I get this 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem window...

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1|MICROS~1\FSDREA~1\couatl\couatl.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encounterd an illegal instruction.
CS:123cIP:01bf OP:63 72 6f 3c 2f Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

Addon Manager is in the menue bar but not Couatl.   Of course shutting down the application results in no buildings.

I'm running FSX SP2 with Acceleration on Vista SP3.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Error loading Coualt
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:25:07 pm »
This should't happen: couatl.exe is a full windows 32 bit executable so, it shouldn't trigger the 16 bit Ms-Dos sub-system.

Something that might have cause this, is the executable has been corrupted on your hard drive, which can also explain why the program crashes. If this is the case, you can fix it very easily, by simply reinstalling any scenery that comes with it (all of them) OR, by installing the Stand-Alone Addon Manager. It doesn't make any difference which method you'll use, because both will get the current version of couatl.exe from the internet in any case.

airmed7

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:22:36 pm »

Unfortunatly, after re-installing and downloading and attempting to install Coualt, no changes...

Any other suggestions?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:07:57 am »
I'm sorry, but nobody else has ever reported a problem similar to yours.

We were discussing internally about your issue and, found no way why the Couatl.exe would be recognized as an Ms-Dos executable. I don't have any other explanation that your Windows installation has issues, which will be surely fixed with a Windows reinstall.

dradecki

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 04:46:57 pm »
I am also seeing this problem.  If I allow couatl to run it crashes FSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:04:27 pm »
Sorry, but we really can't reproduce it, so it must something wrong on your system.

BTW, we have a new version online, if you run the scenery installer again now, it will be downloaded automatically. It might be worth trying.ì it.

I am also seeing this problem.  If I allow couatl to run it crashes FSX.

Are you sure it's Couatl that is crashing FSX and not the Addon Manager (bglmanx.dll) ? Because, Couatl it's an external .EXE, which means it's quite difficult it might be able to crash FSX.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:21:11 pm by virtuali »

dradecki

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:51:42 pm »
Ah-ha.  Figured it out.  When I loaded the couatl.exe file in my hex editor I could see where my anti-virus program (TrendMicro) had disabled the couatl application.  Once I disabled my anti-virus program and reinstalled the AddonManagerX all seems to work now.  Thank you FSDreamteam for your time and patience.

Dave

qva08

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:57:13 am »
this thread helped solve a similar problem.  I too have Trend Micro Internet Security and it had stopped the installation of Coualt.exe.  As a result the JFK scenery wouldn't load properly and I wracked my brain for hours looking for conflicting BGLs and down other rabbitholes, when the problem was staring me in the face!
Thanks dradecki for your post.

Mark