Author Topic: Live Updater  (Read 2699 times)

Ankh

Live Updater
« on: December 06, 2019, 09:49:12 pm »
Hi all, is it normal that the Live Updater installs each and everytime again the vcredist runtimes? I mean, ever. single. time? Even if I execute the Live Updater three times in a row just shortly after each other?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Live Updater
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 09:58:19 pm »
It's not reinstalling anything, it's just starting the MS installers, which won't reinstall anything if it's not required and won't "downgrade" anything either.

Pit

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:11:33 pm »
Hi all, is it normal that the Live Updater installs each and everytime again the vcredist runtimes? I mean, ever. single. time? Even if I execute the Live Updater three times in a row just shortly after each other?

Hi,
just noticed the same also here starting the Live Updater today, vcredist runtimes are installed for every new start of the updater ( just like they were not installed before...).

Regards, Pit.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 11:39:16 pm »
vcredist runtimes are installed for every new start of the updater ( just like they were not installed before...).

Again, they are not "installed". We just LAUNCH the standard MS installers and, as also explained in other threads from days ago, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,22485.msg151835.html#msg151835

The way they work, is they won't "reinstall" anything, if the version you have is already the same or newer than the one we are installing. So, again, there's no over-installing here, it's just the time the official MS installer takes to CHECK your version, is unpredictable and, of course, entirely outside our control.

The alternative, which would be trying to reinventing the wheel and check your VC runtimes with *our* code, doesn't seem very smart: we trust MS knows better how to check and when and if a real reinstall is required.

Pit

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 12:35:14 pm »
vcredist runtimes are installed for every new start of the updater ( just like they were not installed before...).

Again, they are not "installed". We just LAUNCH the standard MS installers and, as also explained in other threads from days ago, for example here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,22485.msg151835.html#msg151835

The way they work, is they won't "reinstall" anything, if the version you have is already the same or newer than the one we are installing. So, again, there's no over-installing here, it's just the time the official MS installer takes to CHECK your version, is unpredictable and, of course, entirely outside our control.

The alternative, which would be trying to reinventing the wheel and check your VC runtimes with *our* code, doesn't seem very smart: we trust MS knows better how to check and when and if a real reinstall is required.

I understand, I thought the VC runtimes were installig once again because it really looks like so...... thanks for explaining Umberto.

Regards.

Ankh

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 01:31:50 pm »
Well, then maybe change the wording in the updater? It clearly reads "installing the VC++ runtime x64/x84 version, please wait..."

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:42:50 am »
Well, then maybe change the wording in the updater? It clearly reads "installing the VC++ runtime x64/x84 version, please wait..."

The "proper" wording should be something like:

"Launching the MS VC++ runtime installers, which will then check on their own if it's a real installation is required or not, and being from Microsoft, we trust whey won't install something that is not required or already newer in your system...".

But I must say, of the hundreds of software I've seen that installs those runtimes, NONE ever gave this kind of convoluted explanation, they just say they are installing the VC++ runtimes, and that's it. And I never seen anybody on those software support forum complaining about that either.

Raller

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 12:25:30 am »
That annoys me too. If I already have the latest version, I expect something like this from the updater: Everything is fine, you already have the latest version!

But every time I start the updater, something is installed. So it's hard to tell if I already have the latest version or if there's something new.