Author Topic: New "Feature" engine start question - or "oh no, not another menu interaction"  (Read 2978 times)

Guenseli

Hello,

as I always welcome new features I have a problem with the latest one as it is now another item in the menu I have to click.
Target should be to have as less clicks as possible to keep the immersion.

And, it behaves a bit unlogical in my optinion: in winter, they tell me not to start engines, just to stand at the end in front of me and ask if my engine start was succesfull...

To keep clicks at a low level I suggest:
- make this engine start question optional
- make the decision which operator I would like to use an option in the airport config. I doubt, that every time I arrive I have the choice which airport service operator I choose - at least as pilot. This is probably managed by my company. So to set one for the airport in the config and overcome the permanent question would be a nice addition.

oh and as we are here with feature questions ;)
- please give us an option to board just passengers, no crew.

many thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Target should be to have as less clicks as possible to keep the immersion.

Exactly the opposite: target should be to INCREASE the immersion, by making your a more active part of the procedure, as in real life, and less of a spectator.

And, it behaves a bit unlogical in my optinion: in winter, they tell me not to start engines, just to stand at the end in front of me and ask if my engine start was succesfull...

I'm not sure what do you mean. GSX correctly tell you to wait to start engines in icing, but that doesn't change in any way the fact that, at the end of the pushback, you will have to start the engines sooner or later and you still MIGHT have a bad start, so you will require to be towed back, meaning the tow truck should not go away until you confirmed your engines started fine.

If anything, the only thing we might change SLIGHTLY, is to remove the tow truck, but move it only a meter or two back, waiting there for the good engine start confirmation, which should cover the risk of damaging the truck in slippery conditions when the engine start to produce some thrust. But this won't change much in the actual procedure.

- make this engine start question optional

Sure, that's possible, with the obvious risk users would forget they ever set it, like the auto detect refueling system, which confuse uses they don't understand why a fuel truck appears automatically, assuming it's "a GSX bug", happened a few days ago...

- make the decision which operator I would like to use an option in the airport config.

It has been like this since years, and since the PBR update, many months ago, it's easier than ever, since instead of having to insert airline codes and wonder IF they are available in GSX, you can now choose from a list and a preview of their logos and, by setting a default operator, you will NOT be asked again for that airport.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 01:48:52 pm by virtuali »

angusfly

Despite being a great addition, I think everyone has developed their own way of interacting with GSX, so it would be helpful to have the possibility to deactivate that option.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Exactly, which is quite different than flat out saying the program should "always reduce clicks", no matter what, or that something is not logical.

bhorv67

I'm not sure what do you mean. GSX correctly tell you to wait to start engines in icing, but that doesn't change in any way the fact that, at the end of the pushback, you will have to start the engines sooner or later and you still MIGHT have a bad start, so you will require to be towed back, meaning the tow truck should not go away until you confirmed your engines started fine.

If anything, the only thing we might change SLIGHTLY, is to remove the tow truck, but move it only a meter or two back, waiting there for the good engine start confirmation, which should cover the risk of damaging the truck in slippery conditions when the engine start to produce some thrust. But this won't change much in the actual procedure.

I think the confusion here is in previous versions, the tow operator will state during icing conditions to wait for engine start until push complete. At that point, the tow operator will tell you the tug has been disconnected and you've been cleared to start.
In this latest update, there is no prompt from the tow operator to start.

SN737

Despite being a great addition, I think everyone has developed their own way of interacting with GSX, so it would be helpful to have the possibility to deactivate that option.

Thanks
Agree 100%, it should be an option, despite "being real", it's another step that has to be made and I don't welcome it personally.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Agree 100%, it should be an option, despite "being real", it's another step that has to be made and I don't welcome it personally.

It's clear that, regardless how much more realistic we make the product, there will be always somebody not liking it.

Strange that exactly only ONE user on the forum ever complained about the initial "do you want to start engines before pushback ?", which IS an additional step and, compared this one you are complaining now, is far less commonly used.

With the next update we ARE doing this optional, in the proper way, by airplane, because it's really required only for airplanes without an APU, which are not so common nowadays, so we'll do this optional as well, with default Enabled, because that's the way is done most of the times.

SN737

It's clear that, regardless how much more realistic we make the product, there will be always somebody not liking it.

Strange that exactly only ONE user on the forum ever complained about the initial "do you want to start engines before pushback ?", which IS an additional step and, compared this one you are complaining now, is far less commonly used.

With the next update we ARE doing this optional, in the proper way, by airplane, because it's really required only for airplanes without an APU, which are not so common nowadays, so we'll do this optional as well, with default Enabled, because that's the way is done most of the times.

Thank you