Author Topic: Marshaller marshalls perculiarly  (Read 9594 times)

VHEBN

Marshaller marshalls perculiarly
« on: November 13, 2019, 02:15:44 am »
Hi Umberto, it seems that in the past few months there has been an update that has broken the marshaller, as he seem to just bob his arms up and down, instead of correctly marshalling in an aircraft.

The correct technique is as seen in this video

However what GSX does is this

Pirateinparadise

Re: Marshaller marshalls perculiarly
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 01:13:23 pm »
I was going to start my own thread, by since you brought it up 1st...

I'm okay with the motions it uses, but I've had a heck of a time determining where to actually stop.

If I stop as soon as the marshal crosses his batons I end up a couple of feet (2.9 to be exact, as shown in 1.jpg) short of the stop position.  

If I keep moving forward the marshal just stands there with their batons crossed (2.jpg). I have moved .9 feet beyond when the batons were crossed.

If I keep going forward and stop as soon as the marshal uncrosses the batons, I end up parking 1.6 feet short of the stop position (3.jpg).

To add insult to injury, the marshal then tells me that I didn't do a good job parking because I was short of the park position. It wasn't my fault!  :o

I find that it is impossible to use the marshal without the distance display turned on. If I stopped as soon as the old marshal crossed the batons, I was right where I needed to be. No number display necessary.

Umberto, could we have the timing adjusted a little bit so if we stop as soon as the marshal  crosses the batons, we are on the stop position? Thank you!    
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:26:26 pm by Pirateinparadise »
The drinking rum on the beach kind. Not the software stealing kind.

avduarri

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 02:41:26 pm »
The best would be that de mark "0 feets" equals to when the marshaller starts crossing the batons, and not as it's working now, that reads 2.9 feets.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 06:09:39 pm »
Nothing is "broken" in the latest update.

There are several marshallers in GSX, and they don't do exactly the same gestures, and you got one of the ones that has a bit different gesture than the others. And even in real life then don't do the same gesture, somebody waves arms even behind his back, somebody else do it in front, and nobody is "wrong", they all have their style, just like in GSX.

The animation that crosses the batons is exactly synchronized to end to the 0 distance. And, when in doubt, always follow the *numbers*. To take into account your reaction time, we might tweak it a bit to anticipate that, but right now is perfectly in sync, that's why it might look more difficult than it should.

VHEBN

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 02:46:00 am »
There are several marshallers in GSX, and they don't do exactly the same gestures, and you got one of the ones that has a bit different gesture than the others.

How do I make it so that I always get the one with the correct guesture according to my original post then?

The gesture used in the video is the only one I see in GSX since the update, and I know that at the airports I'm flying into, this is not used. Not only that but I literally do this for a living I'm pretty sure I know the "correct" way of doing it.

Pirateinparadise

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 12:05:21 am »
The animation that crosses the batons is exactly synchronized to end to the 0 distance. And, when in doubt, always follow the *numbers*. To take into account your reaction time, we might tweak it a bit to anticipate that, but right now is perfectly in sync, that's why it might look more difficult than it should.

There must be something wrong with my installation. In the attached screenshot, it is clearly evident that the marshal's batons are crossed with 3.9' remaining before the stop position. Is it possible that my install has a bad entry in a configuration file or something?

If I go to the numbers, he throws the batons at the cockpit window and starts running to the pushback truck for cover.  ;D  

Pirateinparadise

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 02:23:03 am »
Umberto, after the latest live update the issue appears to be resolved. Brenda marshalled me to the correct stop position. I stopped when she crossed the batons and I was within .4' of the stop position. She even complimented me on my good parking.  ::)

Thank you!

VHEBN

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:38:24 am »
Hi Umberto, it appears in the latest update modifications that have been made to the marshaller animation. I assume that despite your lack of reply, this is in some part due to this thread. The new marshaller animation, while a slight improvement, is still incorrect. I do not understand why it is so easy for you and your team to model short shorts and thighs, however, you can't make a correct animation for a core part of your program. In any case, I have attached some reference videos you may be able to use to assist you in the development of future updates. I look forward to what you create.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 02:11:38 pm »
Hi Umberto, it appears in the latest update modifications that have been made to the marshaller animation. I assume that despite your lack of reply, this is in some part due to this thread. The new marshaller animation, while a slight improvement, is still incorrect.

The marshaller animation, which we made only for one model, it's an obvious improvement, not a "small" one. And it's surely not incorrect. And yes, it was clearly suggested by this post and we came up with a better animation very shortly after this thread started. And what's with the ""despite your lack of reply", in a thread in which I HAVE replied ?

As can be seen in the videos you posted ( don't you think we have seem them too ? ), different people have very different styles and, as long the movements are compatible with the CAP 637 standard, and they surely are, they can all be considered correct and just a variation in personal styles.

Obviously, everything can be always constantly improved, and in fact this update should prove the fact it always is, and every thread is taken seriously. Why should be me that is pointing that out, when it should be obvious by the actual update ?

I'll post again the reply that really matters, the one from Pirateinparadise

after the latest live update the issue appears to be resolved. Brenda marshalled me to the correct stop position. I stopped when she crossed the batons and I was within .4' of the stop position. She even complimented me on my good parking

And that's what Marshalling is all about...

VHEBN

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 10:45:19 pm »
As can be seen in the videos you posted ( don't you think we have seem them too ? ), different people have very different styles and, as long the movements are compatible with the CAP 637 standard, and they surely are, they can all be considered correct and just a variation in personal styles.

What is currently modeled in the most recent version of GSX is not like in any of the videos I linked. This functionality used to work perfectly. If nothing else can we come to a comprimise where this other "style" that I'm looking for is an option?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 10:55:07 pm »
What is currently modeled in the most recent version of GSX is not like in any of the videos I linked

The video you linked are not the entire spectrum of different ways of doing the same thing.

. This functionality used to work perfectly.

The functionality used to have a problem that made difficult differentiating between closing batons and crossing batons, which this thread was all about, and now it's way better, as confirmed by the other poster.

If nothing else can we come to a comprimise where this other "style" that I'm looking for is an option?

You cannot expect we could model so many different styles. The important thing is that now is way easier to understand what the marshaller is signaling, and there's no confusion between the last part of the "normal stop" sequence and the actual "stop", which make it easier to park. Again, that's what marshalling is all about.

VHEBN

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 12:45:17 am »
The functionality used to have a problem that made difficult differentiating between closing batons and crossing batons, which this thread was all about, and now it's way better, as confirmed by the other poster.

That's not what this thread was about at all, I'd know, I started the thread myself. The issue is that the GSX marshaller doesn't marshall in the aircraft properly. It stands there and bobs its hands up and down like in the video in the OP

Admittedly, GSX has been updated since then and this has been tweaked but it's still not correct.

If you take a look at any of the 30 videos I linked, you'll see that yes, everyone has their own style, but none of them do the incorrect action that GSX does.

Pirateinparadise

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 04:25:37 am »
If you take a look at any of the 30 videos I linked, you'll see that yes, everyone has their own style, but none of them do the incorrect action that GSX does.

Hold on a minute. That motion that you are calling incorrect is very common at many of the airports that I've been to. I'm not sure where you live, but I'm in the eastern US. I've never seen one use the paddles, just the sticks and cones. I have seen both styles of the 'proceed straight ahead' signal in use, which is what you are complaining about. Check out this somewhat entertaining video at 1:23 from the Air Safety Institute and you'll see what I mean.  https://youtu.be/7siioLHPigg  

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:35:25 am by Pirateinparadise »

VHEBN

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 05:28:33 am »

Hold on a minute. That motion that you are calling incorrect is very common at many of the airports that I've been to. I'm not sure where you live, but I'm in the eastern US. I've never seen one use the paddles, just the sticks and cones. I have seen both styles of the 'proceed straight ahead' signal in use, which is what you are complaining about. Check out this somewhat entertaining video at 1:23 from the Air Safety Institute and you'll see what I mean.  https://youtu.be/7siioLHPigg  

Hmmmmmm, that's interesting and I've never seen it before. However GSX should still offer the option to use the "normal" hand signal. In none of the ports I've been to or have conducted any research on have I seen that hand signal used.

On second thought, it could be that that hand signal is not used for larger aircraft as it is more difficult to recognize from a distance, and although I can't speak for others, I don't use GSX when I fly light aircraft.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 09:46:02 am »
I have seen both styles of the 'proceed straight ahead' signal in use, which is what you are complaining about

Exactly, that was my point.