Author Topic: FSX FA-18  (Read 6129 times)

MeanSpitfire

FSX FA-18
« on: November 04, 2019, 07:11:10 pm »
Hello,

I feel stupid writing this, but here goes!

I downloaded and installed this FA-18 from Fly Away Simulation. I installed as instructed, but there's a problem.

In FSX, I clearly see the plane in the list of aircraft (Select Aircraft) and select it. Then, in the next window, Free Flight, where I can choose the airport, time, etc... I don't see the plane rotating in the window below; not even a rivet, just clear sky. On the runway, I'm sitting in mid air without a plane around me.

So what did I miss??? I have contacted Jivko Rusev (the author I think) who directed me to you.

I'd appreciate your help.  :)

Thanks,

Mean Spitfire

PhantomTweak

Re: FSX FA-18
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 08:56:19 pm »
Do you have the DX10 Preview enabled? If so, try disabling it, which is the default setting. Often, texture problems like you describe, are due to having the DX10 Preview enabled. Particularly if you don't have Steve's DX10 Fixer used. It costs a little, but if you're determined to use the DX10 Preview, it's absolutely vital.

If that doesn't help, let us know, and we can look further for a fix.
Good fortune!
Pat☺

MeanSpitfire

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 10:32:00 pm »
Thanks very much Pat!

I did a bit of digging and noticed that in the Model directory, there are no .MDL files, which are present in the other planes. Also a bit more searching showed that there are no .WAV files in the Sound directory. If you'll pardon the cheap pun, it ain't gonna fly anytime soon...

So I might just have to delete that plane. Unless you can think of something else... But I think those are crucial.

Thanks again,

John

PhantomTweak

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 08:43:09 pm »
But I think those are crucial.

Welllll....
Yes and no. How's that for a nice, straight answer?  :D

Look in the plane's aircraft.cfg. Remember, never use any kind of word processor! ONLY ever open any sort of Flight Sim .cfg file, aircraft.cfg, FSX.cfg, you name it, with NotePad, or NotePad++. Word processors add symbols you may not see, but will render the file unusable by the simulator.

OK, got that out of the way. Anywho, open the plane's aircraft.cfg file, found in it's main folder. Look at the entries under the [fltsim.X] where X is a number. One of the lines is model= . Is there anything following the equals sign (=)?
It will look something like this:

[fltsim.0]
title=F/A-18C - Blue Angels 1
sim=FA-18_18.4
model=BA
panel=BA
sound=
texture=BA1
kb_checklists=boeing_FA18_check
kb_reference=boeing_FA18_ref
atc_id=BA001
atc_airline=NAVY
atc_flight_number=001BA
atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT
atc_parking_codes=F18
ui_manufacturer="Boeing"
ui_type="F/A-18C Hornet"
ui_variation="Blue Angels Test 1"
ui_typerole="Twin Engine Jet"
ui_createdby="FSX Blue Angels & Groom Lake simulations"
description="The Hornet combines the ruggedness required of carrier-borne aircraft with speed and superior agility, especially at high angles of attack. Its powerful engines, canted vertical stabilizers, horizontal stabilators, large leading- and trailing-edge flaps, and sophisticated flight control system all contribute to a level of performance that makes the Hornet a versatile front-line fighter in several air forces around the world."

It may be linked to a different aircraft's model. Some developers do this for any number of reasons. It makes it so they don't have to spend time building a whole new model from scratch, mainly. Another reason is that this way they can save size of the zip file. Lotsa reasons possible.

Anywho, is there any text following the model= entry? Same for the sound= line. Making those indicate a different plane's files is called "Aliasing". IE: the plane's model is "aliased" to a different plane, you see?

IF, for some reason, whatever it may be, you don't have the plane they are indicating in those lines, you will see the situation you seem to have. Maybe you need to install another plane to allow the plane's aircraft.cfg to "find" the folders and files it requires.

Even the texture=2 can be aliased. It can be done on that line in the aircraft.cfg file, or within the plane's texture folders.

Does this help? Let us know if there's any text in the places indicated. If there is, can you post it so we can help you find the plane it's looking for? Heck, it may be looking for the FSX default Hornet, or the FSDT Hornet. I don't know until you let us know.

Hope this is some small help!
Pat☺