Author Topic: GSX very sensitive to aircraft position at gate  (Read 1932 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
GSX very sensitive to aircraft position at gate
« on: November 08, 2019, 06:29:09 pm »
After landing at KMSY I taxied to gate C3 and parked quite well I thought. The parking guidance showed STOP followed by OK. But when I brought up the menu to move the SODE jetway a message appeared saying no jetway was available.

I chose reposition aircraft and from an external view the aircraft moved forward no more than a couple of feet. The jetway option then worked.

GSX is too strict about positioning surely? If the parking guidance was happy with my position why wasn’t GSX. Can a setting be adjusted to allow some latitude?
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX very sensitive to aircraft position at gate
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 03:31:21 pm »
GSX is not too sensitive but, of course, it must have a kind of threshold to know if you are inside or outside a parking, which cannot be set too large, otherwise it might mistakenly identify a nearby parking.

This problem can happen, depending how the AFCAD was made, and which airplane was used to create the AFCAD, and how different its center of mass compared to its nosegear position that airplane is, compared to the airplane you are using.

It can be usually fixed without altering the AFCAD, by customizing BOTH the location of the parking itself AND the Stop position, using the GSX customization page.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 04:23:46 pm »
Hi Umberto. Yes, I should have mentioned the aircraft. It was the PMDG738. What you have argued makes sense except for one thing. The parking guidance was happy with the aircraft position as it showed STOP followed soon after by OK. If I had moved further forward then I would expect to see TOO FAR.

So why is one aspect of GSX happy with the aircraft position but the other half isn’t. Maybe there’s a mismatch in the code between the guidance indicator and what is required for the jetway to operate.

Editing what are essentially expert created jetways shouldn’t be necessary.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 04:47:37 pm »
What you have argued makes sense except for one thing. The parking guidance was happy with the aircraft position as it showed STOP followed soon after by OK. If I had moved further forward then I would expect to see TOO FAR.

The parking guidance will always work, because while it will work even when you are outside of a parking ( of course ), but that's an entirely different thing than GSX not detecting if you are inside a parking or not.

Now, you are describing a 3rd party scenery, without saying which kind of guidance it was using, and which kind of jetways it came with. Please clarify exactly:

- Which scenery you are using

- Which kind of guidance system it has ( Provided by the scenery or made with GSX )

- If the scenery came with a GSX profile.

So why is one aspect of GSX happy with the aircraft position but the other half isn’t. Maybe there’s a mismatch in the code between the guidance indicator and what is required for the jetway to operate.

There's no mismatch anywhere in the GSX code. It's just you must understand the relationship between the parking location in the AFCAD, the GSX Stop position and its interaction with the scenery jetways.

Editing what are essentially expert created jetways shouldn’t be necessary.

Nowhere I said you must edit jetways, that's the only thing you shouldn't do, assuming they are well made and can be used with a reasonably wide range of stop positions for that airplane, but it simply impossible without doing some customization in GSX, so be sure a 3rd party scenery using either a GSX guidance system or its own guidance system, that stopping following those indications would *always* result in BOTH:

- the jetway working from there

AND

- GSX still assuming you are inside a parking

That's why I said to check BOTH the parking location in GSX ( which is a way to move the parking without editing the AFCAD ) AND the Stop position in GSX.

Reading the "Understanding the Stop position" chapter at Page 43 of the GSX manual will surely clarify the issue to you.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 05:10:59 pm »
Fly Tampa EHAM. I shall conduct some tests tomorrow and report back with all the info you requested.
Cheers,
Ray.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 12:33:49 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Sorry, it wasn't EHAM. It was KMSY - New Orleans by LatinVFR. I've tested gate C3 a few times by slewing and the jetway becomes available as soon as STOP is displayed. Maybe it was just a glitch. The Parking System is Safedock T2S-24L-Support and the GSX ini file was produced by Cartayna. Happy to close this.
Cheers,
Ray.