Author Topic: FSDT Live Update  (Read 2418 times)

kmanning

FSDT Live Update
« on: November 23, 2019, 10:45:11 pm »
I have a question about the Live Update and rather my files were actually updated or not. Last night, I ran the FSDT Live Updater but I don't see that it had actually updated anything. I've been seeing here in this forum that the latest version of GSX is 2.8, so that should be my latest version after running the Live Update. While running the Live Update, it only shows that files were downloaded and did not indicate that files were actually being installed. At the end, it did say that it was completed and file were up-to-date. To be sure, I checked in the Control Panel where it lists the version number installed, and sure enough, the GSX version had not been updated. It still shows that I have version 2.7.3 installed and not 2.8. Something seems to be wrong here. So, the question I have is that when the Live Update is actually installing the files, does it, or should it show that by saying in the lower box "Installing" after it has downloaded the files by saying "downloading?" I'm just curious as to why it's not indicating in the Control Panel that I have the later version, as it has always done.
Also, where do I go to confirm what version I have installed, if the Control Panel does not confirm that?

Another question I have is that am I supposed to remove the folder Virtuali in the Program Data folder each time before running the Live Update? I've read something about that here as well and wondered if that could be the reason.

Ken.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:35:50 pm by kmanning »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Live Update
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 01:05:17 am »
To be sure, I checked in the Control Panel where it lists the version number installed, and sure enough, the GSX version had not been updated. It still shows that I have version 2.7.3 installed and not 2.8.

A common misconception is assuming that version there indicates the *current* version of a program installed. It doesn't show that.

That page shows the version of the INSTALLER you use to install that program so, the only case in which "updating" the program would update the version number there, is if we had an "updater" that, instead of just updating files, would UNINSTALL and REINSTALL with the latest installer. This way, the version number there would update as well, since you really ran a new installer.

Of course, having to force users to Uninstall/Reinstall, and download a 1.5 GB full installer, only to get a few new files, is not a very efficient way of doing things, opposite to our Live Update, which will download ONLY the files that have changed, without uninstalling/reinstalling anything.

If the Live Update is not downloading anything, you can be sure you have the latest version of everything, no questions about it.