FSDreamTeam forum
November 19, 2019, 01:31:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XPOI "Resource Not Found" error when trying to open wiki POI pages  (Read 304 times)
steve40
Newbie
*
Posts: 4


« on: October 01, 2019, 05:25:48 AM »

Whenever I try to display the Wikipedia page for a wiki POI from within XPOI, I get a "Resource Not Found" error box.

The browser window displays:

Quote
Canít reach this page
Make sure the web address https://en.wikipedia.org is correct
Search for this site on Bing
Refresh the page

Any ideas?

I've checked that my host file/firewall/antivirus etc are not blocking XPOI. The XPOI geoname POIs are working perfectly.

I'm using P3D v4.5.12.30293, and XPOI and COUATL are up to date. My PC is running Windows 10 HOME v1803.
Logged
virtuali
Administrator
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 36657



WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »

Works fine here. Do you have an example of a point that gives that error ?
Logged

steve40
Newbie
*
Posts: 4


« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »

All points are giving that error!

I'll try reinstalling XPOI.
Logged
steve40
Newbie
*
Posts: 4


« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:49:09 AM »

I tried uninstalling and re-installing XPOI, but it did not fix the issue.

Then I tried changing my default browser from Firefox to Edge, but the issue remained.

Then I tried completely uninstalling XPOI and Addon Manager, and deleting its folder, then reinstalling, but the issue remains.

I can see the wiki POI markers and I do see the red ticker-tape text at the top of the screen describing the POI, but for some reason when the browser window opens, it does not recognise the url, even though I can open it in a normal browser.

I'm stumped on this one.
Logged
virtuali
Administrator
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 36657



WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 01:19:38 PM »

As I've said, I can't reproduce the error, tried several points after your report, and they are all working fine. And, nobody every reported this problem before so, it must be some kind of security setting related to the internet connection that must have gone wrong in your system.

Changing the default browser won't change anything: XPOI doesn't start your browser, it uses the Windows internal browser libraries to use its own browser window that relies on the windows Internet Explorer engine so, apparently, something in your system ( security settings or security software or a firewall ) is causing this. Maybe you have some picky firewall that doesn't allow connection, because to it, XPOI is seen as a "foreign" browser, so it blocks it by default.
Logged

steve40
Newbie
*
Posts: 4


« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 02:19:06 AM »

Actually, changing the default browser DOES change which browser XPOI uses for its internal browser library. I can tell this simply by right-clicking on the error page that opens and selecting Properties. When Firefox is set as my default browser, the Properties window for the XPOI browser shows that it is using Firefox.

I will try creating a new Windows profile, or maybe a new user account, and see if that resolves the problem.
Logged
virtuali
Administrator
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 36657



WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 01:35:54 PM »

Yes, but it's NOT Firefox, is a bunch of Windows .DLL so, if the culprit is the firewall ( most likely is ), it's because it saw a browser connecting, but called from Couatl.exe, and that might be cause the firewall blocking it by default, since it's not a "known" browser.
Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!