Author Topic: Issue with runways and taxiways at night, dawn, and dusk  (Read 6267 times)

hiddenpawn@gmail.com

Issue with runways and taxiways at night, dawn, and dusk
« on: September 23, 2019, 03:56:23 am »
Hi Everyone,
I have searched the forums for this topic but it is difficult to find the solution.  My issue is when I have dynamic lighting on at night, the runways and taxiways look fuzzy.  I am going to insert and image to help explain.  I have a strong system with a GTX 2080ti video and a I9-9900K cpu.  My setting are fairly high on all bars.  Please let me know what I can do to resolve this.  First image is with my airplane lights on.  Second image is with airplane lights on.  Thank you.  This scenery is my favorite and would like to get this issue behind me.

Lights off.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KHJHplK4pK7QPTkj3conh-yThkXEjUFG/view?usp=sharing

lights on.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QrFpBGU_eu3e35gmpK2svahvqxK4AvxY/view?usp=sharing

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Issue with runways and taxiways at night, dawn, and dusk
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 09:29:28 am »
This problem has been discussed so many times on the forum, and it's a result of:

- Not having set the texture resolution at 4096x4096

- Not having selected Anisotropic filtering at 16x

- Not having set SSAA antialiasing mode.

Or a combination of any of that. Your card can surely afford to use hires texture, anisotropic filter and 8xSSAA.

hiddenpawn@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 05:40:45 pm »
Thank you very much for the direction.  I updated my settings to the below specs.

- set the texture resolution at 4096x4096

- set selected Anisotropic filtering at 16x

- set SSAA antialiasing mode to 8xSSAA

Loaded Active Sky, aerosoft A320

Framerates around 30.  6.4 gb on the GPU (58%) .  This airport is stunning!

As for the runways and taxiways.  Much improved but they are just ok.  I would definitely recommend this airport because it is one of the best out there.  With the settings boosted it put some more strain on my system even with liquid cooling :).  I may keep my settings where they were for now and live will a little issue when not flying during the day.  Again, thanks for your help. 

hiddenpawn@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 04:56:35 pm »
I have some more good news to add.  I turned off HDR and it helped a lot in addition to the other recommendations.  I am very happy with the look of the taxiways and runways at all times of the day and night.  :)

hiddenpawn@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 11:10:55 pm »
New update from P3D did the trick.  I put HDR back on and everything looks great!

Zimmerbz

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 08:57:22 pm »
This problem has been discussed so many times on the forum, and it's a result of:

Or a combination of any of that. Your card can surely afford to use hires texture, anisotropic filter and 8xSSAA.

I tried all of this but no luck.  I will say I have not updated to the new 4.5 hotfix since my plane isn't compatible yet.  That might solve it.  However, I have this issue with ALL FSDT airports.  Not sure if that is related to ORD or not.  Other than this issue, it is a great airport. 

Processor: Intel 6th Gen Core i7 6700K (4.6GHz Overclock) Quad Core
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling
System Memory: 16GB Kingston DDR4 SDRAM 2400MHz
Graphics Processor: 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, PCI Express 3.0

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 04:59:19 pm »
I tried all of this but no luck.  I will say I have not updated to the new 4.5 hotfix since my plane isn't compatible yet.  That might solve it

Of course it will. The HF2 fixes a bug in SSAA antialiasing mode, which solves the shimmering/moire effect on PBR materials. There's nothing you (or we ) can do, other than install it.

Zimmerbz

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 03:37:10 am »
I tried all of this but no luck.  I will say I have not updated to the new 4.5 hotfix since my plane isn't compatible yet.  That might solve it

Of course it will. The HF2 fixes a bug in SSAA antialiasing mode, which solves the shimmering/moire effect on PBR materials. There's nothing you (or we ) can do, other than install it.

Since FSlabs released their fix for 4.5, I decided to update everything.  I still have the runway lighting issues.  I went from MSAA to SSAA and it still didn't change.  Is it that my pc can't handle something?  All of the lighting issues still seem to exist but I can't figure it out.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 12:09:07 am »
I went from MSAA to SSAA and it still didn't change. 

It's not possible that you don't see any changes from MSAA to SSAA, the difference in clarity is huge *especially* at night.

Could be you tweaked your video card to override the simulator settings ?

Zimmerbz

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 03:07:29 pm »
I'll try again in SSAA and report back.  I noticed that when using SSAA, my performance dropped significantly (not just at ORD but overall) however.  It's weird because I don't think I have a poor PC either. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 12:56:58 pm »
I'll try again in SSAA and report back.  I noticed that when using SSAA, my performance dropped significantly (not just at ORD but overall) however.  It's weird because I don't think I have a poor PC either.

SSAA is mostly dependent on the video card, and yours is a bit weak, especially considering you overclocked the CPU. I also have an old i7 6700, not overclocked, and SSAA didn't cause any fps drop neither on my 1080Ti and neither on my new 2080Ti.

The faster the CPU, the better must be the video card. If one of them is waiting for the other, you have a problem.

p3dx3

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 05:50:31 am »

I check 2 of the 3 boxes. I cannot use SSAA my video card is not powerful enough. Please give me an option for not having the reflection look so bad if I use MSAA.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 01:53:24 pm »
I check 2 of the 3 boxes. I cannot use SSAA my video card is not powerful enough. Please give me an option for not having the reflection look so bad if I use MSAA.

I don't know what do you mean with "reflections".

This thread was about the effect of the airplane landing lights over the ground textures at night, caused by the scenery being a proper PBR scenery with each material having its full complement of Albedo, Metallic and Normal maps, that really requires SSAA to prevent flickering, and this is of course happening with every PBR product, even other games.

We won't provide an official option, because a proper 100% PBR product *must* be made that way, otherwise materials won't react correctly to the light.

So, in an entirely unofficial and unsupported way, here's a set of alternate ground textures with normal maps killed. It will look way more flat on ground, but it surely won't flicker. Unzip the textures from the attachment, and place them in:

Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\KORDV2\Texture

p3dx3

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 08:20:16 pm »

I don't know what do you mean with "reflections".

This thread was about the effect of the airplane landing lights over the ground textures at night, caused by the scenery being a proper PBR scenery with each material having its full complement of Albedo, Metallic and Normal maps, that really requires SSAA to prevent flickering, and this is of course happening with every PBR product, even other games.

We won't provide an official option, because a proper 100% PBR product *must* be made that way, otherwise materials won't react correctly to the light.

So, in an entirely unofficial and unsupported way, here's a set of alternate ground textures with normal maps killed. It will look way more flat on ground, but it surely won't flicker. Unzip the textures from the attachment, and place them in:

Addon Manager\Fsdreamteam\KORDV2\Texture

Thanks for that option